FNAR - Initial Report

midtennchip

Got an FNAR for Christmas. Due to some issues with my laser boresighter (see below), I didn't get to shoot it until today. It is a 20" heavy barrel model and I was thoroughly impressed after my initial short-range testing today. The wind was brutal today, but I ended up with some very tight groups (at least for me). The recoil is very mild and the trigger is good (not as good as my bolt action Savage, but very good for a semi-auto).

I put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope on it, which is a wonderful scope for the money. I think the combination of the FNAR and Viper will meet my needs well and make the FNAR a better shooter than I am.

Now, to the SiteLite boresighter. I tried to get on paper with the boresighter (like I do with every rifle I have) and just could NOT get close. Tried remounting, reversing the scope rings, even called Vortex for help. Just wouldn't work. Turns out, the SiteLite is out of calibration. So, I had to zero the old fashioned way. Took longer and more ammo, but the Viper's mechanical zero was actually pretty close.

Both Vortex and SiteLite customer service were outstanding. The tech from Vortex took around 30 minutes on the phone trying to rule out every possibility with the scope. At the end, he insisted that I send the scope in (at their expense) if the boresighter turned out not to be the problem. As for the SiteLite, it did turn out to be the problem. So, last night (Sunday, January 1st), I sent a note through their website asking about service on it. Within an hour, the CEO sent an email saying send it to us and we'll either fix it or replace it, no questions asked.

I am very happy with the FNAR, but just blown away by the customer service of Vortex and SiteLite. If you are in the market for any of these, I highly recommend all three products. When I get to the 300 yard range, I'll post an update on the FNAR and Viper.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drv2fst
They are fun rifles. Keep track of your round count. Every 1k it needs to go back to FN for maintenance.

Mike

Really, that's very bad if true. Also, VERY unlike FN since they usually make stuff very durable.

Really, that's very bad if true. Also, VERY unlike FN since they usually make stuff very durable.

Agreed. Very unlike FN. With my google fu the only reference I found to this was someone on the firing line forum saying they read about this in a review. Considering the source of them being on TFL I would probably disregard what is said. Although the FNAR not being a super propular rifle, I have always been fond of it and want one. Having been a member on a couple FN based forums, I have never heard the "return to mfr after 1000 for maintenance" claim. The person in thefiringline post did mention that it could not be disassembled at home, which is entirely possible.

I am wondering if they got regular cleaning/maintenance at least every 1000 rounds, and if a problem arises the user is not capable of fully disassembling skewed to "must be returned to FN every 1,000 rounds".

edit, per the FNAR manual

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/manuals/FNARownersmanual2008.pdf

Notice! Your rifle should be inspected every

2000 rounds and/or once a year by a qualified

gunsmith or the FNH USA Product Service Center

because damage, wear and corrosion are not

always visible from the outside. Law enforcement

and military personnel should contact their

departmental armorer who will inspect the rifle

on a yearly basis.

Edited by nysos
Well, mark that one off my wish list then.

For the money theres nothing that can touch this rifle in the semi-auto .308 category when you take into account its MOA accuracy...i have the winchester version...i don't shoot enough .308 for the manufacturer inspection to be an issue....I will be lucky to hit 500 rds per year....the added costs will still be far less then buying any other semi auto 308 that can do moa accuracy.

Guest drv2fst
For the money theres nothing that can touch this rifle in the semi-auto .308 category when you take into account its MOA accuracy...i have the winchester version...i don't shoot enough .308 for the manufacturer inspection to be an issue....I will be lucky to hit 500 rds per year....the added costs will still be far less then buying any other semi auto 308 that can do moa accuracy.

I agree about this rifle being a great value and a great shooter. This rifle has been on my wish list for a while. I kept waiting for them to "update" it to a version that looks better (yes I know how lame that is). It bothers me that it requires more maintenance than other rifles. As stated already, very unusual for FN.

I agree about this rifle being a great value and a great shooter. This rifle has been on my wish list for a while. I kept waiting for them to "update" it to a version that looks better (yes I know how lame that is). It bothers me that it requires more maintenance than other rifles. As stated already, very unusual for FN.

It isn't required manufacturer maintenance. It is "recommended".

That blurb is in there for one reason or another, probably to cover their own asses for the 1 guy that will end up shooting 2000 rounds without cleaning or inspecting any parts on his own if something starts acting fishy.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

This issue about having to send the FNAR back to FNH comes only from the Notice in the manual. But that same notice now appears in almost all of FNH's semi-auto manuals. It is in the SCAR manual (but at 5000 rounds or once a year) and in the semi-auto pistol manuals (at 2000 rounds). Obviously, this is not unique to the FNAR and probably arises from a problem FNH has had with customers over the years. I would chalk it up to a CYA notice.

It other FNH products meet your durability expectations, don't let this issue affect your judgment on the FNAR. It appears to be nothing more than standard language in FNH's semi-auto manuals now.

Guest The Dude

ive never had any issues with the FN products ive owned or used over the years. i wouldnt hesitate to own any of their weapons. quality is top notch, as well as performance.

i dont buy the statement about it not being able to be disassembled at home. i think the guy on the other forum that claimed that just may lack the know how to do it, or the patience, as there is a few steps involved. but it can be done properly.

ive never had any issues with the FN products ive owned or used over the years. i wouldnt hesitate to own any of their weapons. quality is top notch, as well as performance.

i dont buy the statement about it not being able to be disassembled at home. i think the guy on the other forum that claimed that just may lack the know how to do it, or the patience, as there is a few steps involved. but it can be done properly.

That may be the case with this rifle, but I know for a fact with the fnp45s and the fnx line the safety/decocking lever has to be broken off in order to remove the fire control group for a detail strip. If you are keeping a gun stock, this isn't a big deal to me - but if you like to tinker and do some aftermarket work it kind of inhibits this, but FN firearms don't exactly have the largest aftermarket accessory and mod support. FN also states in their literature that anything more than a field strip voids the warranty, but I never heard of them ever really following through with that when it applied to a competent customer. It may be a hassle, but if they are going to pay for shipping both ways if you ever have a problem, why would you not send it in?

Because of this, I was unsure if there might be some mechanical factor that would prevent a full dis-assembly of this model gun.

I just don't know why they went with a proprietary magazine. There are several .308 box mags that are dead reliable and widely available, I think the FNAR wouldn't be the cover of the CDNN catalog if mags hadn't been hard to find and ludicrously expensive.

DanO

Love my FNAR!!

No matter how easy it is to persuade somebody for or against a rifle by a mere comment on an internet forum, I can personally attest to some of these facts as i've seen them. My FNAR has been a sub-MOA shooter right outta the box with several brands of factory ammo. Maintenance on my rifle is way more complicated "looking" than my M1A but it is definitely required less frequently. It doesn't get nearly as dirty for some reason. Yes, it is kinda ugly and comfortable... Check it out!

MVC-8512.jpg

Guest The Dude
That may be the case with this rifle, but I know for a fact with the fnp45s and the fnx line the safety/decocking lever has to be broken off in order to remove the fire control group for a detail strip. If you are keeping a gun stock, this isn't a big deal to me - but if you like to tinker and do some aftermarket work it kind of inhibits this, but FN firearms don't exactly have the largest aftermarket accessory and mod support. FN also states in their literature that anything more than a field strip voids the warranty, but I never heard of them ever really following through with that when it applied to a competent customer. It may be a hassle, but if they are going to pay for shipping both ways if you ever have a problem, why would you not send it in?

Because of this, I was unsure if there might be some mechanical factor that would prevent a full dis-assembly of this model gun.

that is right on the fnp pistols. not a problem for mine. i wouldnt modify mine anyways. and thats the only portion that i know of that has to be broken to get apart on that pistol. but for the fnar, there are several videos on youtube showing how to detail strip the weapon. looks like a pain in the ass though. i dont think id send it back for routine cleaning if it were me.

back before bob got fired from their cs manager position, he told me not to worry about voiding the warranty. and im not sure but a field strip on the fnar? how far could you strip one before going too far? based on the videos of how to strip it, im not sure. unless one was trying to remove the fcg? your guess is as good as mine.