Semi-auto for single handed operation- recommendations

Guest Lefty 48

Guest Paul Gomez

Investing in proper technique is a much better way to go than looking for a strictly hardware solution. Having said that, I'd look at a Gen 3 Glock 19 with good, tall, steel sights. The recoil springs in Glocks are relatively gentle, making it one of the easiest guns to manipulate the slide with only one hand.

As far as technique, here is a video that I shot a while back covering my take on one handed gun work.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lefty 48
It can be loaded safely and holstered before you go out. Most of us don’t carry a second magazine, so we couldn’t reload no matter how many hands we have.

If I’m going to Memphis I have a full size M&P 40. If I need more than 15 rounds of .40 caliber; I’m hosed. It would be easier to conceal than your large frame Taurus revolver.

Excellent suggestions. And I concur that if it takes more than 15 rounds something has gone horribly wrong.

Howard

Guest Lefty 48
Lefty, sounds like you've got good backup that's on the case.

I'm not in the biz, but I'm thinking if the hook is uber-reliable for you, perhaps there's a solution that involves a little gunsmithing, and work with some minor weapons mods that meet your prosthetic halfway. I could imagine a . . . M1911 maybe, with a little bit of metal bolted on the slide to let your hook get a grip to cock it, perhaps an enlarged mag-release with a dimple your hook tip won't skid off of, and maybe a little bit of metal bolted to the bottom of the mag so the hook can get it without sliding away. I THINK they make left-handed M1911s, and they're all metal so they've been carved on and bolted to for a hundred years. I have an image in my head of these suggestions, and in my mind they don't look too big and hulking, but kinda cool. If the hook works for you, work with the hook ???

Don't forget that some of the major weapons manufacturers also work with the Wounded Warrior folks, they might have tech teams already on the case, or be easily motivated to get involved. I could imagine Springfield Armory gunsmiths in the custom shop being HIGHLY motivated to develop (or share) a solution. They'd surely help because it's the right thing to do, but it would also give them a chance at bragging rights for coming up with cool solutions.

You've been tossed a lemon, that's for sure, but that's where lemonade comes from. And maybe not just for you but for others as well. God Bless.

Update: I called Springfield Armory and their customer service said they do support the Wounded Warrior program and that their Custom Shop at 800-617-6751 or customshop@springfield-armory.com apparently can work to make a weapon function with prosthetics. I imagine some other manufacturers would also offer similar services.

The hook is not my daily wear prothetic- as noted it can be rough on the finishes around me. The Lefty screen name is tongue in cheek, as "Curly" would be.

Thanks for chasing down info on the Custom Shop. If I go with the XD I will certainly give them a call.

The 1911 is an old friend from back in my Navy days. That's a good thing.

The one thing I'm discovering is that I probably have an excuse for more than one carry gun option.

Thanks again.

Howard

Guest Lefty 48

Update on the quest.

I spent some time with Greyofk on Monday, getting my hands on a number of options, wheel guns and semi-autos both. Of the many options, a slick solution was a Glock in 9mm- don't know models yet- with the spring tension lowered and a loop attached to the back of the slide. I'm a left hand amputee. This combination presents low enough resistance that I can hold the grip in my weakest prothetic and function the slide easily. For lower profile, large capacity, and a solid performing platform I may go in that direction.

As many of you have noted, getting my hands on some of the options is a quick way to eliminate those that don't show any promise. If in the calm of a gun shop I can't manipulate key features it is likely a no-go.

I appreciate all the suggestions. As you have noted, I tend to lose the forums in the shuffle. Life can intrude.

Thanks

Howard

-3rd Gen Glock 17 (9mm) need the grip length for the right fit in the prosthetic to rack the slide "conventionally" as well as easily allows use of uncaptured guide rod with single recoil spring

-Brass Stacker slide pull (ring type)

-Uncaptured guide rod with reduced strength Ismi springs then can allow "tuning" the recoil spring to the lowest practical level

-360 degree grip stippling for friction when the Glock is placed in the synthetic coated prosthetic

-Probably should fix a half of a magazine to a board to provide a workstand that could be used to disassemble the slide from frame for cleaning and maintenance

-Use a mag loader to assist loading mags