Walls of Jericho hike

For the past 5 years or so my mom has been talking about hiking to the Walls of Jericho in the mountains along the Alabama and Tennessee line. Last Thursday was her 56th birthday, so I called her Wednesday afternoon and asked her if she was up for the hike. The hike is 7.5 miles round-trip with 1200 feet of elevation change. Not exactly a cake walk for a 56 year old with a bad back and two bad knees. But this was on her bucket list, so we decided to test ourselves.

I had to get up at 3:30am Thursday to drop my wife and daughter at the airport in Nashville, then travel on south to my mom's house in Tullahoma, TN. I got to her place around 7am and she was waiting on me. We got dressed and packed our bags and got to the top of the mountain at 9:30am. We wanted to get an early start so we had some time to spend at the Walls. The signs at the trailhead said that this was an extremely strenuous trial and to allow 6 hours round trip. We had 7.5 hours of daylight, so we felt good that we could be back to the truck before dark. We ended up back at the truck at 3:30pm and that included a good hour eating lunch and exploring the Walls.

The trail starts at the top of the mountain, makes switchbacks down the steep side to the valley bottom. There are two nice creeks that converge in the valley, an overnight primitive camping area and beautiful mountain scenery. You are at the mouth of the canyon when you reach the valley and have to hike another 1.5 miles or so to the head of the gouge. The Walls tower over you during the last part of the hike, upwards of 1000 to 1200 feet. The head of the canyon is a natural amphitheater like formation carved by the creeks waterfalls. We were able to climb up 3 steps of the formation, close to the top of the rim. It was well worth the walk in. Now the walk back up the mountain was a different story... We will be going again. BTW, Beanie had a blast too.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

22b1eab7.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there twice. Once in the winter and the other in summer to take my wife. You went at the right time. You can see so much more when you get back into the canyon when there are no leaves on the trees. There was ice everywhere when we went in the winter. That is a amazing place to see. Did you make the upper loop to see it from the top?

Been there twice. Once in the winter and the other in summer to take my wife. You went at the right time. You can see so much more when you get back into the canyon when there are no leaves on the trees. There was ice everywhere when we went in the winter. That is a amazing place to see. Did you make the upper loop to see it from the top?

We didn't do the rim loop, but we plan to when we go for the overnight trip. We spoke with a couple guys that had camped and done the rim loop and they said it was pretty to see it from the top. It was a beautiful day and about 50 degrees. Perfect hiking weather.

Thats a great trip and report. I used to live on the creek that flows into the walls for several years. Lots of pretty sights to visit down and up in the valley, besides just the Walls. I am heading up there in a few minutes to do some final deer hunting today.

Very Cool boatman!

Patty, I used to hunt the mountain when I was a kid, before it was a WMA. Definitely some good sight seeing up there. We hunted over in the mountains in Grundy Co too. There are some neat caves and bluff shelters over there too. We used to camp and hunt by a great bluff shelter and a natural stone bridge. I enjoy the mountains.

Whiskey, great pics. You mother will never forget that special day with her son. My wife & I, and of course the dog are new to Cheatham County TN and we will be making the trip on a hopefully nice 50 degree Sat/Sun soon, anyone interested in hooking up for a day hike?

Sigbear

Can you still come in from the horse trails along the bottoms for a less strenuous hike? We used to ride atvs most of the way in from the AL side.

Backpacker magazine shuttled cars and did a one way trip from the TN side to the AL trailhead. Keeps the elevation gain to a minimum. Should still be on their website if anyone wants to refer to it.