Range Report: Ruger SR40 (picture heavy)

Parrothead

I got a chance to shoot the Ruger SR40 today. Overall, i am pleased. I will need to make some adjustments before my next trip out but i will cover that later. I did some dry firing at the house prior to my range trip to break in the trigger. To me, it still seemed a little heavy (factory states 6.5lbs) but i am sure it will break in over time. The trigger reset quickly and allowed for some quick follow up shots. I ran 100 rounds of Remington UMC 180gr FMJ and 50 Winchester 180gr JHP's. I did not have a failure to fire with either round.

Ejection was very predicable-- i could have placed a 5 gallon bucket on the ground and 70% of my brass would have been in it. I did find this gun to shoot high and left of my point of aim. I will attach some pictures so you can see what i am talking about. I went to the range alone so i had no one else to shoot it and confirm this theory. All rounds were fired standing at 12 yards. In all honesty, it could have been me but i didn't have the same issue with my M&P 45 compact.

Overall, a very solid and reliable gun. Easy to clean. Once i get the sights dialed in i think i will have a keeper.

First picture is 75 rounds fired at 12 yrds. To achieve head shots, i had to aim at the right shoulder.

34o3thw.jpg

98xf8i.jpg

For reference, this is 50 rounds fired from the M&P45c. To be fair , i have had a lot more trigger time with this gun (+1500 rounds)

2z4lfa0.jpg

2h7di53.jpg

*In no way do i consider my self to be a photographer...This is all point and click*

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good range report. The SR40 is a fine looking pistol. I'd bet a cup of coffe the shooting high left is more your finger placement then the pistol sight's. We see the same thing with Glocks so try to either use your weak hand thumb to lightly push to the right or use place a little more of your finger pad across the trigger.

TWNGR....Thanks for the tips. I don't know why i would have this issue with the SR40 and not the other 3 other polymer frame handguns if trigger finger position was the problem. I will take a look at it next time i go to the range to make sure things are on-line. Hopefully, i will be at the east TN shoot so others can shoot and we can compare results. Again, i'm not saying its not user error but...mistakes on the operator are rarely that consistent unless it sight issues.

I've been shooting Glock pistol's for many year's now and if I haven't been to the range to practice I place my round's left of center. I don't do this with revolver's, 1911's or like pistol's so I know it is how I apply my trigger press. I don't know if you have the same issue but it's a good first step. FWIW once I'm warmed up or doing move and shoot everything center's, which mean's I cease to think about it and go with training. Some folk's love the Glock type trigger some hate it, I just continue to work with it.

I bought a SR40 a few months ago and have taken it to the range about 3 times now. I have owned nothing but long guns my entire life so my experience with pistols are limited but I do love my SR40. I have pull off about 300 rounds so far and I have a opposite issue with groupings. I have to aim up and left to find center. So this tells me it may be more with how I hold and pull the trigger than the gun at this point

Edited by 1pointofview
mispellings

1pointofview, your right on the money, try adjusting your grip, get the pistol well centered in your hand in a relaxed grip. When you shoot your ring and little finger are slightly relaxed and if your right handed adjust the pad of your finger slightly right. IMHO I think that all of use have some degree of grip, sight or trigger press issue's we struggle with from time to time. What make's me feel better is when other people talk about it to so I know it's not just me.