Ruger GP100 - Trigger question

Guest Baron

Got some time off today so I went to the range and decided to try something different. I have never rented a range gun, but I decided to look at the case and at random picked the Ruger GP100 and a box of 357 rounds. Actually, it wasn't that random. I saw it and felt that at nearly 40, it might be time to get over the 357 trama I had at childhood.

I think I am in love. I do not own nor have I ever shot anything so controllable. My grouping was better than what I normally shoot with any of my own handguns. Instead of wrestling a tiger, it was like petting a kitten. I seriously think I am going to pick one up. Unfortunately, my local shop doesn't have any right now.

Question for any of you with GP100 experience.

How would you rate the stock trigger?

I realize I was shooting an rental so I am keeping that into consideration. Single-Action seamed incredibly light. However, double-action was very gritty. Just wondering if this is normal or because it was a rental.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the Ruger KGP-141 off a guy on here for a very reasonable price, and it has become one of my favorite guns that I own. At first, I was wondering if .357 magnum would be too much of a kick, but with the weight of the gun, it's a very smooth shooter... Single action is amazing, and I can hit anything I want to with it, with supreme accuracy... I don't usually shoot it in double action, but my trigger isn't "gritty" at all, it's smooth with a clean break (like all the other Ruger's I've shot) I would say that any grit in it would be from its overuse/not cleaned... Also, if you want, you can run 38 special thru it, and save a little on ammo costs. If you can pick a GP100 up for under $600, I would say grab it and don't let it go! I was very tempted to buy a second one (identical to my current one) just so I could carry around 2 amazing guns! Also, I would recommend getting the Safariland speed loaders... If you want to know anything else, just let me know

The average out of the new GP100 trigger pull is a tab bit rough and heavy when fired in the double action mode. The single action trigger pull is quite the opposite though, smooth and crisp. This is pretty much the norm with all new DA/SA wheel gun’s so don’t be discouraged. Once you’ve purchased you handgun clean and lubricate it and run a few hundred rounds through it. Then if you aren’t satisfied with the trigger pull purchase and install a Wolff Spring kit, which should be all it takes.

20 years ago when I bought my first revolver I was told to sit in front of the TV and just pull the trigger, time after time. It does 2 things, 1) helps the action to smooth out and 2) builds the muscles in your forearm. As I was in the Navy at the time I could not just sit around pulling the trigger. A few years latter when I bought my second revolver (a S&W 686, to wear when I was being a reserve deputy sheriff) I took that advice - I could tell a huge difference in the triggers!

Edited by MarkInNashville

Banana Fufu: Trigger job for your Ruger GP100

This instruction is as good as any when doing a GP100 trigger job. I would recommend doing this just to get familiar with the Ruger DA action and takedown. Clean it up as necessary then lube with some thin lube like red transmission fluid. If you do a spring job use an old kitchen fork as per comments further down the page to load the hammer spring on the strut.