new to me S&W 39-2

SonnyCrockett

got this in today,bought from Gunbroker for 345 bucks.....And the phrase "They dont make em like they used to"

has never been more prevalent than on this little gem,I am impressed with this model - the look and feel are spectacular

Single stack 9,all metal w alloy frame,wood grips,Bluing the way it was ment to be shiny and durable

and a (forged) trigger sweet as most 1911s I have ever shot ...sights are simple low profile black military style (no dots)

and its solidly made - gonna run a few mags though it and toss it in the safe later .. :P

39-2-1.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith 39's are great pistols with an interesting history. If I recall correctly they were the first American-made double-action semi-auto's, as well as the first domestically produced 9mm handgun. All that on an aluminum frame....with a blued finish to match the steel slide and gorgeous wood grips. It's a classic and the forerunner of all the S&W semi's made now.

I had to check the safe after seeing the pics posted. My first centerfire handgun is still tucked nicely away it it's box. :)

I shot my 39-2 the other day just to see what she'd feel like and see how she would perform and I must say

the accuracy and ease of use was fantastic - These guns not only look great they shoot amazingly - I may find me a

nickle version to add as well...The 39-2 also resembles my lastest CZ 75PCR I noticed so I guess im attracted to

blued pistols with wood grips.......Anyway while I have no idea why these were cut from S&W line up I can say with

all honestly that its one of my fav shooters of all time - Id certainly say it for me is a better shooter than plenty of modern

guns ,better for me means accurate ,smoother trigger,short resets,heft and feel as well as plain ergos

Forged parts,MADE IN USA......what more do you want? MORE S&Ws!~

IMAG0673.jpg

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Sonny:_____________

I agree with you on the shootability of the model 39. I've got both a 39 and a 59 and the 39 fits my hands much better. For some reason i think the 39 and 59's were "improved" for some reason. There are 3 generations of 'em now. Your and mine are the "first generation". My guess (...and it is a guess...) is that smith was dragged along by the military and police markets on this one. I want to say that the 39 and the 59 were designed to compete in the original 9 mm military trials that gave us the beretta. Maybee some old time smith auto guys will speak up on this one.

leroy