the worlds' 10 most manly firearms

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1
He forgot to add Chuck Norris. :up:

Chuck Norris used a sissy-ars Beretta in Waker Texas Ranger. Wonder why our military uses the sissy-ars Beretta M-9 instead of one of these top 10 that this idiot has chosen.:D

Guest GT_Rat

Because Walker Texas Ranger is filmed by Hollywood California weenies and they knew that Chuck Norris is already terror inducing even unarmed. To film him with a real weapon would make him so terrifyingly menacing that people would be too afraid to watch the show therby destroying their ratings.

The rumor was true. The military started a study of many different manufacturers to replace the M9 with a .45 of some type. That plan has been put on hold though. (The Rifleman comes in handy for somethings.) Many of the manufacturers came up with guns for this, Ruger, S&W, H&K, Beretta, most of the biggies. I think they were even looking at the XD series from Springfield. They want closer capacity to the M9 which is why they aren't going back to the Colt.

I still like the 9mm for general use in military field operations, but the 45 ACP is probably a better choice in the places we now inhabit. It's a close-combat round.

The enemy is using stimulants and often doesn't stop after getting hit a time or even two unless shot placement is good. Something with a bit more so-called "knockdown power" would be preferable.

The 45 doesn't have the range for jungle-type distance use, which is why I like the 9mm. I'm not saying 45 ACP is a bad round. Just that it is so slow that there has to be a lot of compensation for bullet drop and by the time it gets to distant targets, much of it's advantage in mass has been eliminated by the velocity drop and it's harder to hit the target.

This discussion has made me change my signature. :D

Guest jackdog

I've shot 9's it a good round, but decided to split the difference and went to .40. you guys have any experience with 357 sig. I've heard pros and cons onthis round.

Jackdog

I've shot 9's it a good round, but decided to split the difference and went to .40. you guys have any experience with 357 sig. I've heard pros and cons on this round.

Jackdog

At present, I carry .357 Sig exclusively.

Pros:

-Higher KE than .40 S&W (and most .45)

-Flatter trajectory than 9mm

-Less muzzle-flip than larger bores

-Nearly identical ballistics to the traditionally viewed 'best' stopper, 125gr .357 magnum

-Bottle-neck case feeds very reliably

-Subjectively (in my experience, and the experience of many others) is potentially more accurate than other calibers (most notably .40 S&W, when the barrel is interchanged even in the same pistol)

Cons

-Lower availability on practice ammo

-Higher price on practice ammo

-Fewer selections of premium JHP ammo

-Limited number of handguns chambered in this caliber

I plan to keep this caliber in the arsenal... and eventually reload it, to eliminate some of the noted Cons.

Guest jackdog

I've toyed with idea of buying a 357 sig barrel for my G23. Molon your the first person that i have talked to that actually carries the 357sig. Guess if I buy the additional barrel I could swap them back and forth for practice.

Jackdog

I've toyed with idea of buying a 357 sig barrel for my G23. Molon your the first person that i have talked to that actually carries the 357sig. Guess if I buy the additional barrel I could swap them back and forth for practice.

Jackdog

THP carries .357sig Glock 31s & 33s chambered for .357sig.

Their reasons for switching to this cartridge are the same as dozens of other agencies across the US: Strong ballistic resemblance to the .357 magnum, meaning increased barrier penetration, and above-average terminal performance.

Hey, if it's good enough for the Texas Rangers.... :up:

Guest db99wj
My buddy just got a XD357 about a month ago. He still hasnt shot it. So no input from him yet on the .357sig!

Kinda like getting a car and not driving it.....get him out there!

I've always heard that 12" of penetration in ballistic gelatin is what you want to get. I've never been very certain of the way to convert gelatin performance to real world performance in human tissue, but that's apparently the penetration level that people find to be desirable.