Trailer Question?

DaveTN

I need a small trailer to haul building materials and take stuff to the dump.

It only needs to be big enough to hold a stack of 4X8 plywood lying flat.

I already have a nice 8X12 enclosed Haulmark Low Hauler so I don’t need anything fancy. But the back pull down ramp makes loading building materials and junk a hassle.

Any recommendations on something cheap?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a small trailer to haul building materials and take stuff to the dump.

It only needs to be big enough to hold a stack of 4X8 plywood lying flat.

I already have a nice 8X12 enclosed Haulmark Low Hauler so I don’t need anything fancy. But the back pull down ramp makes loading building materials and junk a hassle.

Any recommendations on something cheap?

Dave, you may have already gone this route, but check the Traders Post & classifieds

of that manner. You can find some good deals there sometimes.

As for the ramp, I added a ramp to mine, and bolted it onto the trailer so it's removable.

Don't know if you could modify or want to. Just a thought.

Good luck....

Made mine out of the back of a full sized Dodge pickup. It'll haul anything I can put in it (I used it to move from Western Kansas to East Tennessee and it was LOADED), plus there's plenty of room for 4X8 plywood with the tailgate up. Didn't cost much to make and I've seen trailers similar to mine go for as little as $150.00.

Guest 22-rimfire

I would avoid the "cheap" utility/garden trailers you see at Home Depot and Lowes or similar places. Go to a place that specializes in trailers and look around. The construction is the key. Those cheap trailers (from Lowes, Northern Tools, etc.) may look like they are highway worthy (lights etc), but they are NOT made for anything other than hauling light loads across town at low speeds. Be sure to look at the utility trailers at Lowes so you know the difference and can begin to understand why the better trailers cost more and will last a long long time. I had the wheel (the whole wheel) fall off a utility trailer when it was loaded. Not a good experience. The dang thing doesn't even have an axle.

Go online and do a google search for Lawrimore Trailers. They have a list on their website of dealers near you. After looking at the sight, I went to a dealer and looked at the trailers. They were a really quality trailer at a fairly reasonable price. I was looking at a 6 X 12 with a ramp tailgate for about $975.00. A little more than Lowes or Home depot but these things look like they would last a lifetime.

It seems like the roadside is strewn with them for sale until you're looking for one. There's one on HWY 80, near Defeated Creek in Smith county for $375. It appears to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8'. I haven't stopped and looked at it, but from the road it looks good. Not sure if you want to drive that far, but it has been there a while, so negotiation is a real possibility.