Visiting Key West

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe call the police department there. I went a few years ago but left my pistol at home because I was going to be staying on the Naval base... and I was planning on being drunk the whole time. I don't think they should have any laws that restrict carry since the state allows it. Florida is a reciprocity state.

On the topic of getting drunk, I believe it is still illegal to carry in bars down there. Best to check into that since when I was down there the only establishments I remember seeing were bars.

Key West same as rest of Monroe County, which is same as the rest of Florida.

Just gayer.

- OS

That's a good one right there!

On the topic of getting drunk, I believe it is still illegal to carry in bars down there. Best to check into that since when I was down there the only establishments I remember seeing were bars....

Can't carry in "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"

- OS

Key West is a cool place. I have been there four times so far. Check out the aquarium and the little shops. Stay away from leather stores cause they are likely to be bondage hang outs. Made the mistake at looking fit a new wallet and walked into a place where a guy had another guy on a leash wearing leather LMAO :D

Key West is a cool place....

I've spent quite a few New Year's Eves there. Wild.

The Monroe Sherrif's Dept used to run a van route, take you home anywhere in the 90 mile stretch of the Keys if you could crawl into the van under your own power. Maybe still.

- OS

Guest lostpass

I've been to the Keys once and while it is the gayest place on earth that didn't bother me. Next time I go I'll take some photos of the house and ask for decorating advice cause gaystrogen is a big seller down there. What bugged me to no end is the constant soundtrack of Jimmy Buffet music. All I heard, everywhere, was Jimmy Buffet.

When you ask for something a little different they switch from Magaritaville to Cheeseburger in Paradise and act they are on the alt fringes of the musical scene.

I got married in Key West. Fun place. And no, I didn't get drunk while I was there. Lots of interesting touristy stuff to check out. The night life is a bit ... out there. We were driving through town and we had this exchange:

Wife: "Ooh, a leather goods shop! I wonder if they have purses?!?"

Oldest stepdaughter: "Mommy, there are NO PURSES in that store!" :D

...When you ask for something a little different they switch from Magaritaville to Cheeseburger in Paradise and act they are on the alt fringes of the musical scene.

One thing kills me is everywhere advertising conch fritters, conch salad, conch stew, whatever, locals are called Conchs. And you haven't been able to take a conch in the Keys for many years.

Another are the tourists who claim there's something wrong with their lobster because there ain't any claws on it.

- OS

Guest lostpass
One thing kills me is everywhere advertising conch fritters, conch salad, conch stew, whatever, locals are called Conchs. And you haven't been able to take a conch in the Keys for many years.

Another are the tourists who claim there's something wrong with their lobster because there ain't any claws on it.

- OS

I had forgotten about that. Yes, conch everything. A value sized conch soda to wash down that conch fritter and so on.

Didn't know about the ban on local conch though. Local flavor, imported food I guess. Depressing on various levels.

I lived in Key West in the mid 90s for about 8 months and like BryanP I also got married there. Still go there once or twice a year. The leather store everyone is talking about must be Leather Master. I forgot what street it's on but it's worth visting just for the entertainment value. I normally rent a house and I also normally take my carry weapon but don't usually carry it because it's too easy to stop everywhere for a beer.

Made the mistake at looking fit a new wallet and walked into a place where a guy had another guy on a leash wearing leather LMAO :)
I've spent quite a few New Year's Eves there. Wild.

OS,were you the one holding the leash of the one being leashed?

...Didn't know about the ban on local conch though. Local flavor, imported food I guess. Depressing on various levels.

Yeah, been 25 years or more since you could take a single live conch in FL waters. Over-harvesting and pollution. Amazing that the lobster population keeps up with the demand, though there are ever more stringent size and number limits on those too. 'Course a lot of those come from other parts of the Caribbean now, too.

OS,were you the one holding the leash of the one being leashed?
OS ain't nobody's bitch.

Brandon's got it ... I play the dominator role only. Jeez, how twisted ya think I am, anyway?

- OS