How much fun is a TAURUS JUDGE?

Tennjed

I have $375 in “toy“ money to spend from Christmas. The local Sportsman’s Wharehouse has the Taurus Judge Public Defender on sale for $369.

I am just looking for a fun plinking gun to shoot around the farm. Put a hurting on the stumps in the pond.

I love single action revolvers and reload for 45 colt already.

I have SD and CC covered (ruger sp101, kel tec p3at & p11).

Is $369 a good deal? So how much fun is the Judge? How bad is recoil (i figure it can not be worse than a full house 357 out of the sp101)? How expensive is 410 shot?

Basically is it accurate enough and is recoil tame enough for it to be a fun shooting gun.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my father in laws' has had a few rounds get weak primer strikes. We got it for him at Sportsmans on fathers day while on sale. Recoil is most likely a little less than 357 out of your Ruger, but I'll tell you expect to get lead and powder out the sides. Overall everybodys pretty happy as it's a novelty gun. Ammo cost are up there, 410 I think is a good deal for field loads at less than 40 cents a round. So the 410 is cheaper to shoot than the 45lc. My dad talked about wanting a judge but after shooting the one belonging to the inlaws' he hasn't said anything else about one. That is the cheapest price you can expect to find.

Edited by Patton
but after shooting the inlaws he hasnt said anything else about one.

Usually I don't say anything about punctuation here but I couldn't pass this one up:-)

I have shot the Judge in 410 and it's a lot of fun. I now own the Raging Judge Magnum and love it. I bought it because it is a big ass handgun that can shoot a variety a rounds and capable of killing any nasty thing that might come at me in the woods.

The camp is really divided on these guns. There are better guns for defense but for the fun factor of a shotgun in a pistol it's great. The ability to put a more serious round in the gun (one that you already use) is a great bonus.

I got mine because I really liked it, thats all the reason that I really need in the end.

While I'm convinced the Taurus Judge would be fun to shoot I'd rather spend the money for a "fun" gun on a Ruger Single-Six convertable. My Ruger Bearcat has provided me with pure shooting fun lately that has been fantastic for stress relief. Having the Single -Six and running some 22 magnum's through it sound's like more fun to me than the Judge. Bottom line, shooting is supposed to be fun so get what you want and have fun with it.

Guest dubaholic2

the price is very good. we sell the public defender package on sale at work for $499. they are fun for a minute, but are not the self defense great that everyone thinks they are. as previously stated they provide very little penetration.

Of course they're fun. It's a handgun that shoots shotgun shells! Watermelons will explode in your presence, a lot more fun than punching paper.

I have a full size stainless and the Polymer Public Defender. Both handle well, and recoil isn't as bad as an SP101 with 357, and mine are pretty accurate with 45LC.

I can't tell a lot of difference betweens recoil in 45 and 410. Probably like shooting 38+P in a SP 101 IMO.

But I'm sure everyone is right, 2 rounds of 000 buck, 2 rounds of 9 BB pellets and 3 9mm discs followed up by a .45LC to the head probably wouldn't be effective for self defense, but it will sure mess up a watermelon. :tough:

Guest Aces&8s

While I have gotten over my initial desire to own a Judge, I have enjoyed shooting them in the past. I will admit that it is a lot of fun to shoot hand-tossed clays or soda cans with a shotgun pistol.

Usually I don't say anything about punctuation here but I couldn't pass this one up:-)

I have shot the Judge in 410 and it's a lot of fun. I now own the Raging Judge Magnum and love it. I bought it because it is a big ass handgun that can shoot a variety a rounds and capable of killing any nasty thing that might come at me in the woods.

The camp is really divided on these guns. There are better guns for defense but for the fun factor of a shotgun in a pistol it's great. The ability to put a more serious round in the gun (one that you already use) is a great bonus.

I got mine because I really liked it, thats all the reason that I really need in the end.

I thought at first you had a problem with my grammer and punctuation as I had typed it from my cell phone. I will have to fix that. I, like most people, are so used to text messaging I can't type complete sentences anymore.

Sent from your moms' computer

I thought at first you had a problem with my grammer and punctuation as I had typed it from my cell phone. I will have to fix that. I, like most people, are so used to text messaging I can't type complete sentences anymore.

Sent from your moms' computer

Yeah, I am definitely not the grammar nazi on the Internet. If my iOS devices didn't have autocorrect then my posts would look very different:-)

Guest bkelm18

But I'm sure everyone is right, 2 rounds of 000 buck, 2 rounds of 9 BB pellets and 3 9mm discs followed up by a .45LC to the head probably wouldn't be effective for self defense, but it will sure mess up a watermelon. :)

If you've got the skill to pump that much ammunition into a persons head while they are trying to murder you, my hat is off to you.