New Christmas present

NeveSSL

Hi all,

Received a great Christmas present this year! My father-in-law gave me his uncle's 1903A3. His uncle qualified with the rifle, shipped abroad, the war was over by the time he got there, so he came back, purchased his rifle, and packed it away. My father-in-law purchased it in 1985 from him, got all of the cosmoline off, fired it once and put it away. Now it is mine and my wife's to continue passing down in the family. Its a Smith Corona from May of 1943 and is more or less almost new. It certainly won't be a daily driver, but I believe it would be an injustice to never shoot it, so I'll be putting a few rounds through it. :koolaid:

IMAG0117.jpg

This isn't the greatest pic, but most of the rifles look pretty much the same anyway. Haha!

I'm thinking about getting a recoil pad to put on it while shooting, but we'll see.

He also gave my wife a little Raven P-25 that we're going to plink around with. Its not much for self defense, but she thinks its "cute" so that's a bonus at least. Haha!

Brandon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am really excited about it. I've been wanting a .30-06 for a while now. The only rifles I had up to this point have been .22s and .30-06 has quite a wide variety of ammo to work on reloading with.

Although I have to admit, I'm beginning to feel the need for a good safe more than ever. Once we get a house (my wife and I are planning on buying soon), that may be one of my first purchases.

As far as the recoil goes, I would expect this rifle to be about the same as a 12-gauge. Would that be accurate?

Brandon

Nice rifle---- shoot it, clean it, protect it, enjoy it and NEVER ever ever alter it in any way. There are 1000s of 30/06 sporters around for scoping, altering, or whatever. TTT

Guest capt usa
Nice rifle---- shoot it, clean it, protect it, enjoy it and NEVER ever ever alter it in any way. There are 1000s of 30/06 sporters around for scoping, altering, or whatever. TTT

Nothing like owning a piece of history and I agree, never alter it.