Something new to take to the range.

Guest hawkeye10

Guest hawkeye10

This is my new Savage model 12 in .223 and I have not fired it yet. ;) Maybe I can go to the Woodbury range next week. I got over a thousand rounds of Wolf and some Remington ammo, other than those what would be some good ammo to shoot off the bench? Don

101_0063.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hawkeye10
Barrel twist? Get some Black Hills loaded with Sierra Matchkings. not cheap, but accurate. Bullet weight will depend on barrel twist. I don't know if I would waste barrel life on Wolf. I shoot it in my AR carbines, but never in my varmint rifle.

BTW... NICE rifle

Barrel twist is one in nine. I have looked at Black Hills ammo on line but I haven't found a site with a good selection. Do you have any suggestions? Don

Barrel twist is one in nine. I have looked at Black Hills ammo on line but I haven't found a site with a good selection. Do you have any suggestions? Don

223 Remington 69 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Box of 50

Black Hills Remanufactured Ammo 223 Remington 69 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail

EDIT: I'm pretty sure 69 gr is as big as you wanna go in a 9 twist.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest dubaholic2

model 12bvss..., gorgeous rifle. we had one at work in 22-250, that i really liked. its on my list. congrats on an awesome rifle. looking forward to hearing how well it shoots.

Guest hawkeye10
NOT handloading for a rifle like that is heresy, blasphemy, and just plain wrong.

:rant::D I hear you Caster. I have a Lyman turret press do you think it would size .223 cases? Don

For my Savage there is a huge improvement when reloading. With factory ammo it likes it shoots about .5"-.75". With handloads it shoots .25"-.5". Mine is a 7 twist 26" barrel and I shoot 69 SMK's over 24.5grains of Varget. I light it off with Wolf SRM primers. And this is with AR magazine length rounds. Turns out the most accurate load out of my AR also shoots well in my Savage.

You will be lucky if your gun shoots wolf under 1.5". My AR is capable of .5" with handloads but will not get under 2" using Wolf. Price, not accuracy, is Wolf's appeal to most people.

And Savages are the 10/22 or AR of the bolt action world. Anythign and everythign can be swapped without the need of a gunsmith. I do barrel swaps in 10 minutes. I also set my own headspace using my sized cases, not headspace gauges. This means the chambers are much tighter than factory and my brass lasts much, much longer. And if I need ot fire factory ammo I just crack the barrel loose and use the factory ammo to reset the headspace. There is nothing dangerous about having minimum headspace, it is when you have too much that you run into problems.

Dolomite