AR, gas question.

RWF

all but one of our AR platforms are built for action style matches. i used my precision AR most of the deer season, but it was really to big (long) and heavy (it keeps a suppresser on it). so after few deer i removed the suppresser and put it on my 16". which has a LMOS carrier with the gas block adjusted to the point of failure and then open back up less than 1/2 of a turn, i believe it has the JP 3% extra power spring, the carbine buffer has all but one weight removed with a ball writing pen cap used to take up the empty space. today we went and did some shooting to try some different ammo and see how the ACR would run suppressed. 223 55 cheap pratice ammo with 55 PMC for the base line.

okay now here comes my question, with the suppresser on the last round the bolt was locking open on the carrier not the bolt. you remove the suppresser and it locks on the bolt like it is suppose to. if it makes a difference when the suppresser was removed it only had a thread protector on it. i never use the suppresser at a match because of the increased recoil with my LMOS set up. also there were no issues with the suppresser on the wife's ACR.

okay all you AR experts, WHY?

also if cloudy and slowsure read this the ACR is your fault. remember the full auto Remington ACR! :stare:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Open your gas up more and put some weights back in on your buffer. My guess is the extra power spring, and really light buffer are the cause as well.

What made you lighten your buffer and want to restrict the gas? try and make it lighter recoiling?

Open your gas up more and put some weights back in on your buffer. My guess is the extra power spring, and really light buffer are the cause as well.

What made you lighten your buffer and want to restrict the gas? try and make it lighter recoiling?

the bolt bounce seems to make sence, since there should be higher pressures yet my first thought was the gas block but knew that was not right. i only had the suppresser on for hunting and for that i use 5.56 SA 70 grain. i am not making ajustments to the gun. it just did not make sence to me on what was happening

okay to answer your question, my bolt is also about 3 to 4 ozs less also. the set up is standard action match set-up, for racing, as i call it, for rifle match and 3 gunning. the only thing that may be different on mine is only 1 weight in the buffer, there many who do not use any weights in a rifle length system.

yes does a great job on recoil and fast follow up shots. but is you just lighten the action without reducing the gas pressure recoil will increase. if you ever you to a big 3-gun match like the Pro-Am just outside bowling green. check the equipment that the shooters are using.

talk to a Pro most are very friendly as long as you wait till after they shoot and put there gear away. there TV personality is how they are. todd jarret is fun loving taren butler always looks mad but will talk to you and pose for pic.

thanks again