Shortest HCP Class?

So from my understanding an HCP class has to be at least 8 hours long, that's what it says on the state's website and that's what I was told when I went through my class at ASP in Joelton. My buddy calls me today and says he's taking his HCP class tonight at Guns and Leather and was told it usually only takes 4 hours because the classes on Wednesday night are much smaller. I was a little surprised by this and I tried to look up other instances of HCP classes under 8 hours but I couldn't really find anything. The class at ASP actually took more like 9.5 hours because of the size of the class and the fact that they have a relatively small range. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it legal? I'm assuming it is since Guns and Leather has a good reputation (at least from what I've heard) but I warned my friend that if it isn't, and the state finds out, he could have trouble down the road. How long was your HCP class?

TheFinder

P.S. The Wednesday night classes at Guns and Leather are advertised on their website

to be a two day thing, where you come back the next day and finish. However, my buddy

asked them about that when he called and was told that occasionally it does go for two days

but usually they are able to finish in 4 hours.

Edited by thefinder808
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'bout 5 hours, 6 tops, with good bit of killing time breaks included.

TCA doesn't mandate any time stipulations (except 4 hours classroom for military exemption), that must be in the "rules" given to the schools, don't know how it's exactly worded.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

My class was even shorter, we only had 6 people in class. The 8 hour schedule at G&L was designed around larger classes with a small lunch break. Its a matter of teaching to standard and not to time. When you only have a few people the range portion goes alot faster, and theres fewer individual questions during the lecture portion. So all and all alot of the time ends up being cut out. The amount of information he got in that 4 hours is most likely identical to those who attended for a full 8 hours or longer. I know at G&L they have five lanes that they use for the qualification portion, so when you have small classes like 5-10 it goes really fast.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

My class was around 5 hours or so. There was like 50 people who had to do the range portion so they went in heats. I was in the second heat & they let us leave when we were done. I could have stood around for another 3 hours & watched everyone else shoot but I dont really know what that would have accomplished......

The HCP class has to be state approved. Their rules state the course must be 8 hours (4 classroom + 4 range): http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf.

When I took my class (at G&L several years ago), the classroom portion was 4+ hours. The range portion required shooting in heats. You couldn't get your certificate and leave until all heats were finished though. Overall, it was 8+ hours.

The HCP class has to be state approved. Their rules state the course must be 8 hours (4 classroom + 4 range):

http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf.

When I took my class (at G&L several years ago), the classroom portion was 4+ hours. The range portion required shooting in heats. You couldn't get your certificate and leave until all heats were finished though. Overall, it was 8+ hours.

Yeah see I read the same thing which is why I'm kind of confused here. At my class at ASP we also had to wait until everyone had done their range test, I think there were four groups and I was in the first. I had to wait another hour or so, the whole class was just so incredibly boring (not a negative review of ASP, those guys are great) and I got kind of freaked out with some of the people taking the class, especially during the range test. One lady in particular had never shot a handgun before and couldn't figure out how the sights worked. She thought that as long as the front sight was on target, the rear sights could be anywhere (I think the confusion came from the advice to keep the front sight in focus). She was shooting all over the place and I happened to be right next to her. She passed...and while everyone has the right to be able defend themselves...I also have the right to be freaked out by some of them at the shooting range.

So from my understanding an HCP class has to be at least 8 hours long, that's what it says on the state's website and that's what I was told when I went through my class at ASP in Joelton. My buddy calls me today and says he's taking his HCP class tonight at Guns and Leather and was told it usually only takes 4 hours because the classes on Wednesday night are much smaller. I was a little surprised by this and I tried to look up other instances of HCP classes under 8 hours but I couldn't really find anything. The class at ASP actually took more like 9.5 hours because of the size of the class and the fact that they have a relatively small range. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it legal? I'm assuming it is since Guns and Leather has a good reputation (at least from what I've heard) but I warned my friend that if it isn't, and the state finds out, he could have trouble down the road. How long was your HCP class?

TheFinder

P.S. The Wednesday night classes at Guns and Leather are advertised on their website

to be a two day thing, where you come back the next day and finish. However, my buddy

asked them about that when he called and was told that occasionally it does go for two days

but usually they are able to finish in 4 hours.

OS is right. The actual amount of class time is about 3 hours tops. However, every instructor has to give their own accounts of what they think and blah blah so it takes up more time. The test is different for everyone but we had all the tests done in about 20 minutes in my class. The range portion is actually the longest one as generally they want it structured and they stopped and did a cease fire after every 10 rounds.

The rest of the time is taken up by everyone asking questions. Granted, questions should be asked because they are very important but they do take up more time. I bet if it were just you and the instructor, you could probably breeze through it in about 4 hours tops including the range part.

A TN carry class is just a bunch of mandated legal bs that the state requires be in there - in my opinion it really does nothing to prepare you to defend yourself with a handgun, for that you need some other training. A few places attempt to go the extra mile & actually squeeze in some more useful stuff but most people just want their "ticket punched".

A TN carry class is just a bunch of mandated legal bs that the state requires be in there - in my opinion it really does nothing to prepare you to defend yourself with a handgun, for that you need some other training. A few places attempt to go the extra mile & actually squeeze in some more useful stuff but most people just want their "ticket punched".

Well the class was never intended to teach you self-defense techniques. It's supposed to be a basic safety class. When the HCP law first passed they thought there may be people getting a HCP that have never handled a handgun, so thought some basic familirization and safety trainging first might be a good idea.

As far as ticket being punched....my personal opinion is you shouldn't need a HCP in the first place...

Guest bkelm18

If I recall, I remember hearing on here about some podunk HCP school that was shutdown by the state when they found out this school's HCP class was only like 3-4 hours long, and I believe the state also suspended any HCP certificates the school issued. I don't remember the particulars but I remember hearing about it here a long time ago.

If I recall, I remember hearing on here about some podunk HCP school that was shutdown by the state when they found out this school's HCP class was only like 3-4 hours long, and I believe the state also suspended any HCP certificates the school issued. I don't remember the particulars but I remember hearing about it here a long time ago.

Seems like I remember a situation where an instructor/school was just selling the certificates with no class at all.

May or may not be the same place.

It's corporate welfare plain and simple... It only helps prevent people from getting an HCP because by requiring people to waste 8+ hours of their lives and the money it costs to take the class. Virtually nobody fails the current class (much less than 1%)... But this is what happens when you let well meaning idiot legislators give us our 'rights' back.

I'm with Fallguy, if you're over 21, and don't have a felony record, you should just be allowed to carry. Leave the permit system in place for those who want to carry outside the state.

The HCP class has to be state approved. Their rules state the course must be 8 hours (4 classroom + 4 range): http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf.

I took mine at G&L 5 years ago on Superbowl Sunday. I asked and found out before the class that on the range you shot in groups of 5 and that the order was set by the order that you signed in that morning. I was #5 and my buddy that was with me was #6 so I had to wait until his group was finished but they gave us our certificate as soon as I was done with my range session. I could have been gone then. Either way we were thru in plenty of time to see the game!