Price on Kel Tec pf9?

Guest Truegrit

Guest Truegrit

I got a chance to buy a used keltec pf9 for $280 it is in near new condition prob 99%. I know they are more than this new but my questions is this a good deal. This is something new to me keltecs that is and I'm not sure what a really good buy is.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have one and was not impressed with it. Frequent FTF and jams. Great concealment for a 9MM and that was about as far as it went. I've heard some custom adjustments to the ramp and feed will fix some of these issues but I didn't want to mess with it and sold it used for $175. Bought new for $250. $280 seems high as I had only put about 50-75 rounds through mine before I sold it. I don't believe it will take any +P ammo either if that matters.

Guest bkelm18
I used to have one and was not impressed with it. Frequent FTF and jams. Great concealment for a 9MM and that was about as far as it went. I've heard some custom adjustments to the ramp and feed will fix some of these issues but I didn't want to mess with it and sold it used for $175. Bought new for $250. $280 seems high as I had only put about 50-75 rounds through mine before I sold it. I don't believe it will take any +P ammo either if that matters.

Ke-Tec is real good about fixing issues. They pretty much replaced a P3AT I had after it flew apart at the range. And yes, PF9's can handle +P in moderate amounts.

Guest Truegrit

Thanks for all the quick responses. I guees I will just wait out and get something later on. I am getting my carry permit after first of the year and want something in that size and price range what would y'all suggest. Handguns are somewhat new to me long guns I know enough to get by still learning handguns . I think I came to right place to learn

Guest bkelm18
Thanks for all the quick responses. I guees I will just wait out and get something later on. I am getting my carry permit after first of the year and want something in that size and price range what would y'all suggest. Handguns are somewhat new to me long guns I know enough to get by still learning handguns . I think I came to right place to learn

PF9 is about your only pocket 9mm in the price range, aside from Taurus, but stay away from Taurus. For maybe $100 more you can get a Kahr CM9 which is smaller than the Kel-Tec. Kahr makes a quality gun. Ruger makes a pocket 9mm, but I haven't really heard much about it.

You bet. Good luck and take your time looking. You might look into 380's also. I would recommend shooting a few different varieties before making a decision. Another thing on the PF9 was that it had a really long trigger pull. Wasn't a fan of that. You will see what I mean if you ever shoot one.

PF9 is about your only pocket 9mm in the price range, aside from Taurus, but stay away from Taurus. For maybe $100 more you can get a Kahr CM9 which is smaller than the Kel-Tec. Kahr makes a quality gun. Ruger makes a pocket 9mm, but I haven't really heard much about it.

The Ruger LC9 is great.

I owned the PF9 and my brother in law has the Ruger LC9. The Ruger seems to have less perceived recoil to me personally, and it has a little more finished look to it. The Kel-Tec was a good gun, but just a tad too big for pocket carry, and I just never felt comfortable with it on a belt holster when I had larger guns with more capacity that fit the same niche.

I would also make sure the O/P is aware that Kel-Tec has changed its program and is only giving warranty repair service to the original buyers of their guns. This is a pretty drastic change from years past, when they never asked if you were the original owner or not. That being said, the little guns are pretty easy to work on and if you have problems, they will mail you the parts you need to fix it yourself. Not many gun makers that will do that these days.

I just sold my pf9 because of two issues. One: the enormous recoil inherent in those guns, and two: being a lefty the way I gripped that gun in particular caused me to drop the mag almost every shot.

Despite those flaws, if you can shoot it you should find it accurate, and reasonably reliable.

I sold mine for $225 btw.

Guest twpayne75

I paid $275 for a hard chrome PF9 that I picked up for a family member. It was a decent gun for the price. I bought an LC9 when they came out. I sold it to my wife's cousin after running two magazines through it. I thought I was done with it.

He then brought it back to me and asked if I could clean up the horrible trigger any. After spending some time grinding and polishing, I got it cleaned up. Overall it's not a bad gun for the price.

I bought a PF9 and carried it as a BUG for a while with my only complaint being the small trigger guard. I gave it to my wife who is very pleased with it. In turn I purchased an Lc9 and LCP both of which have been good pistol's. FWIW I'm convinced many of the complaint's regarding the PF9 and P3AT are due to owner induced problem's rather than mechanical.

I bought my pf9 new at a gun show for 249 about a month ago. CDNN investments has them for 229 but you have to buy online. I decided to buy new because of the potential warranty issue. Mine has been 100% reliable out of the box and I more often than not carry it these days.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I called and asked about a replacement guide rod. They never asked if I was the original owner and sent out 3 new rods with the recoil springs. This didn't cost me a cent.

It is my wife's gun and we paid $283 out the door for it. That included tax and the TICS. So far we have about 150 trouble free rounds through it. I did not do a single thing to it other than grease it up to that point. I did decide to go ahead and polish the feed ramp but it didn't need it.

Dolomite

the taurus 709 we had was fine, and DA instead of DAO, reliable and small and inexpensive. Taurus in general has a bad rep lately but there was nothing wrong with the one we had. It never made a jagged hole group even at 15 yards but it never malfunctioned or gave any sort of trouble either. One of the best DA guns in that size category, IMHO.