Pepsi can from Iraq

willis68

A soldier posted this on Facebook the other day, myself and several thousand others shared it as well. This morning it was completely wiped off FB and the Soldier that posted lost his FB account.

Look at the can, this is no hoax Pepsi should be ashamed there is no excuse for this

http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1459&keywords=Pepsi Can Design Celebrates the Attacks on the World Trade Center

http://www.waff.com/story/16352239/911-image-on-pepsi-can

Edited by willis68
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Honestly I think that this is just a sad fact that any Arabic advertising with a plane and a building is going to be claimed to celebrate the WTC attacks by people wanting to make knee-jerk assumptions and accusations. When I look at that picture I see a city skyline with a jet airplane overhead... nothing more, nothing less.

I worked for Pepsi for 15 years. You wouldn't believe the kind of crap people claim to see in cans. I have a Christmas can we had to pull off the shelves back in the early 90's because some people with far too vivid an imagination decided that Santa was doing something inappropriate to the reindeer he was standing behind.

No. I'm not kidding.

Guest bkelm18
I worked for Pepsi for 15 years. You wouldn't believe the kind of crap people claim to see in cans. I have a Christmas can we had to pull off the shelves back in the early 90's because some people with far too vivid an imagination decided that Santa was doing something inappropriate to the reindeer he was standing behind.

No. I'm not kidding.

This one? :up:

95.full.jpg

I guess I saw this in a different light than everyone here. A friend of mine in the military sent me a link to the soldiers post that originally posted this. Over 350 people responded to that post and all had issues with the can. I do give Pepsi credit for pulling the cans off the shelf and re designing it.

Obviously someone at Pepsi seen how this upset some people and was concerned enough to have the can re designed.

I see this much in the same light I see perceived racism. Someone somewhere wants to be offended by it.

I don't see it in the light that the upset want me to see it.

When I see an airplane in a picture I don't automatically assume that it has to do with 9/11.

Trying to focus on being upset makes the healing harder.

It's supposed to be the skyline in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. They chose a design for the people they're marketing it to. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are like the Las Vegas and New York City of the Arab world and scenes from these two cities are depicted on many of the Pepsi cans in the Middle East/SW Asia. Naturally Pepsi would use such a design to market their product and relate to their target audience. Besides, terrorists don't drink Pepsi, they drink Coca Cola.

The plane only adds to the metropolitan representation they're going for on the can. Planes tend to fly around cities a lot because usually there is a major airport around them. Dubai has a major airport that serves as a major hub for East/West travel. It is the Dulles Int'l of the Mideast but not as crappy as Dulles.

I think the reason so many people are getting their panties twisted over this is because the Arabic lettering in conjunction with the design. Just pretend it's all in English and it loses the "offensive" context. Either that or we can force the rest of the world to abandon their native languages for English so we don't get offended. Score another one for 'Merica.

I'm so sick of this they're making fun of 9/11!! Crap people are getting to butthurt and trying to find stuff to offend them. Plane + building does not equal 9/11. Two buildings with bridge in the middle does not equal 9/11.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk