AMT Automag II

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

AMT Automag II .22 mag

anyone care to share some info on these???

I have never seen one in person, only via the web about 10 min ago??!!

good? bad?

pricing?

thanks guys

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost got one years ago, my buddy saved me the trouble. The early ones had a time with extraction. The new ones are made by the new High Standard company in Houston, TX. They had a time with just the quality and build of the new High Standards so I would be leary and read up all you can.

They do have a good feel in the hand.

Edited by R1100R

Had one years ago, iffy at best. Many FTF & FTE's and combination of the two. Popular price looks to be $400ish. Definit pass for me unless in the $250-$300 range. AMT had lots of innovative ideas at the time, unfortunately most just did not work!

Had one years ago, iffy at best. Many FTF & FTE's and combination of the two. Popular price looks to be $400ish. Definit pass for me unless in the $250-$300 range. AMT had lots of innovative ideas at the time, unfortunately most just did not work!

I know what you mean. lol The new AMT company has them MSRP at $845.00.

Edited by R1100R
Guest rebeldrummer

I have some tires that I am selling and a gentleman offered his up for trade??? looked at prices on GunBroker and there were anywhere from $350 to $450. Just not sure if I want to do the deal...not sure if I can move it easily after the trade as I have no particular interest in adding it to the collection.

I had one, would not go thru a box of ammo with out a few jams. Have to keep the chamber clean. I believe mine had a fluted chamber to help keep the slide closed until pressure dropped to a safe limit for extraction/ejection.

The frame and slide were made out of the same stainless steel and would try to gall without a goodly amount of grease between them, also mine was not that accurate.

Parts and mags were expensive if they could be found.

Not a handgun I would purchase again knowing what I now know.

Just my experience with one example.

I have some tires that I am selling and a gentleman offered his up for trade??? looked at prices on GunBroker and there were anywhere from $350 to $450. Just not sure if I want to do the deal...not sure if I can move it easily after the trade as I have no particular interest in adding it to the collection.
It should sell, but can you get full value for it? I dunno .... depends on how much you valued your tires. I bet the automag is easier to turn into cash than the tires, but thats just a guess it depends on the tires too...

AMT doesn't have a good reputation. Either they are good or bad spotty at best. With that being said I have 380 backup amd a .45 hardballer never had an issue with either. But this is after replacing the barrell on the hardballer with a colt one. Came real close to buying one in .30 carbine but chickened out because of being afraid of "good one or bad one" issue. I would love to have an automag in 44 tho. $$$

Guest rebeldrummer

ok so I went to the all mighty GUNBROKER and looked them up...

surprised to say the least...

1 went for $600

1 went for $550

several arond $475 and $450

lowest was $350!!!

not to bad....i think i might take the trade??? the unknown scares me!!! ha ha ha

Guest holic_77

I have the AMT automag II and the automag III. Both were gifts from my dad. The .30 cal jams about every 4 or 5 rounds. I haven't tried the .22 but I think they both look great. Definitely more of a collector than a shooter in my rookie opinion. If I ever come across a IV or the V I would probably make an offer.

AMT doesn't have a good reputation. Either they are good or bad spotty at best. With that being said I have 380 backup amd a .45 hardballer never had an issue with either. But this is after replacing the barrell on the hardballer with a colt one. Came real close to buying one in .30 carbine but chickened out because of being afraid of "good one or bad one" issue. I would love to have an automag in 44 tho. $$$

I also have an AMT 380. backup. I don't shoot it very often but It has never failed to go bang. I have always been afraid of it as the safety can be defeated with a firm pull on the trigger I always have wondered about the rest of the insides.

Glenn

I would take the risk if it were me. Its a collectors item, even if not the best gun ever made. It will very likely sell in short order for a decent price. There are not many of them and there are fans and collectors. So long as it is in good shape, you should be fine, maybe even come out ahead. If it has been beat up, pass on it, you want not quite but close to LNIB condition to stir the collectors, preferable with box and all that stuff.

Guest rebeldrummer
okay, when i saw the word auto mag i was thinking 44 as in the old clint eastwood movie, that used the cut down 308 brass i think. so auto mag is a pistol line correct?

it is called the AMT AUTOMAG II .22 MAG. I picked it up today and in 30 min sold it for $450!!!

not too shabby....

okay, when i saw the word auto mag i was thinking 44 as in the old clint eastwood movie, that used the cut down 308 brass i think. so auto mag is a pistol line correct?

It is confusing. Best I can tell there was an automag company, and a line of similar pistols by AMT with the automag name. They are all related somehow but I do not know. All this was before I was born, in the late 60s.

Good job on the fast turnaround, congrats on your profits.

It is confusing. Best I can tell there was an automag company, and a line of similar pistols by AMT with the automag name. They are all related somehow but I do not know. All this was before I was born, in the late 60s.

Good job on the fast turnaround, congrats on your profits.

i think i just got called old! i thought the movie was out in the mid 70's

i think i just got called old! i thought the movie was out in the mid 70's

The 60s was a reference to the automag production. After being produced, anyone after that could use it in a movie... if the gun was made in the late 60s/ early 70s then a mid 70s movie with one is not too far off.

I also have an AMT 380. backup. I don't shoot it very often but It has never failed to go bang. I have always been afraid of it as the safety can be defeated with a firm pull on the trigger I always have wondered about the rest of the insides.

Glenn

Yep I carried mine alot in the early 70's but never with one in the chamber never trusted the safetys myself.

I had to have someone brake it down to clean they're not very user friendly in this department LOL.