Romanian PSL

Guest chrisfly

Guest chrisfly

I have been looking at the Romanian PSL rifles. Does anyone here know about their accuracy, I have heard some rumors about 5-6" groups at 100 yards. And also do you know where I could find one?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PSL is not a 'match-grade' rifle. The barrel is too thin and there is a lot of recoiling mass that affects accuracy. With regular surplus light ball ammo, you will probably get around 4moa. I had some Czech silvertip light ball and got 2-3moa. The Wolf Gold 148gr gives pretty consistent results but is still only about 2moa.

To get the best potential out of this rifle, you need to either handload or find a supply of the Russian 7N1 ammo. With the 7N1 sniper ammo, I got about 1-1.5moa from my PSL. You can get handload recipes that meet that accuracy. A web search will get you started.

No matter what your load, heat will make groups on these thing open up. On top of barrel whip, that thin barrel doesn't brave the heat well [from an accuracy stand point]

I had one for a few years but never could reload for it; It mutilated brass. Accuracy was fair but not great. Hitting clay targets at 100 was easy enough but nothing more. Just like 99% of all designs based on Kalashnikov's work, it was relentlessly and unfailingly reliable. It is what it is; A DMR of less than American quality. Not a bad thing. It will do everything it was meant to do and thats hit a man sized target at medium ranges.

Most american DMR's are on the AR platform. One thing the PSL has over ours is brute force. 7,62x54R is no joke.

Edited by Caster

I am thinking of getting one to and have been doing some reading on these lately. From what I am seeing the barrel needs to be shortened to about 18" and the long flash hider needs to be replaced with a shorter PKM style flash hider to increase accuracy. Also handguard fit and gas tube fit can affect accuracy just like any other AK.

Also crap ammo will net crap accuracy.

Edited by Superman

The place of final assembly apparently makes difference in accuracy. I shot rifle made in Cugir (Romania) with PSO 8x42 scope. I had 10 cm groups at 200 yards. I shot Century rifle assembled from Romanian parts with 3-12X40 scope. I had 30 cm groups. Both times it was Czech ammo and bench rest

Guest HCRoadie
No matter what your load, heat will make groups on these thing open up. On top of barrel whip, that thin barrel doesn't brave the heat well [from an accuracy stand point]

Most american DMR's are on the AR platform. One thing the PSL has over ours is brute force. 7,62x54R is no joke.

This is the weapon's weakest AND strongest points. But it is fun, beautiful, and almost romantic gun...I'm blushing now