Hmmm. Dutch-designed towers for S. Korea look like ...

Guest jackdm3

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to think about this one. Yeah, I get what it looks like, but I'm not convinced that was their intention. It seems they wanted a design that "bridged" the two buildings and give the appearance of a cloud. By nature this calls for a two building design. It wouldn't look right if they did that at the bottom and it probably would be difficult to make it structurally sound if they did it at the top. The middle is the only way to do it. In the story a company official admits to realizing the similarity during the designing of it, but by that point they were probably already committed in planning and probably thought no one would notice.

Guest WyattEarp
I don't know what to think about this one. Yeah, I get what it looks like, but I'm not convinced that was their intention. It seems they wanted a design that "bridged" the two buildings and give the appearance of a cloud. By nature this calls for a two building design. It wouldn't look right if they did that at the bottom and it probably would be difficult to make it structurally sound if they did it at the top. The middle is the only way to do it. In the story a company official admits to realizing the similarity during the designing of it, but by that point they were probably already committed in planning and probably thought no one would notice.

seems to me that the people who see that, just have a negative outlook, and instead of looking for good in it, they see and find the bad. doubt it was intentional either.

Guest rebeldrummer

i can see where they were/are going with this. sure its a neat concept...."in the clouds" but I also agree it borders on bad taste on the desingers part.

How many ways are there to build two tall rectangle buildings? The cloud idea is interesting. Heck, the Petronas Towers look like twin Empire State buildings. Consider it a compliment that we are still looked at for inspiration.

I'm not offended, but can't deny it certainly is reminiscent of 9/11.

How it supposedly never occurred to the designers is beyond me, and I deal with artists every day.

I dunno, but I wouldn't expect people living in other countries to hold 9/11 in the front of their minds the way we Americans do.

I dunno, but I wouldn't expect people living in other countries to hold 9/11 in the front of their minds the way we Americans do.

I don't expect that at all, though I bet you can't find one person in any first-world city who hasn't seen the 9/11 footage, probably as it happened. It was a world-wide news story.

Like i said, I'm not offended, just surprised not one person on the team of architects and designers who worked on this thought "hey, you know what?"...

And in other news, sensitive travelers boycott United Airlines flights because their planes look surprisingly similar to those flown into the Twin Towers on 9/11. :)

Maybe we should require all skyscrapers to be round from now on...that way there is no way they will resemble the WTC.

* but I am sure there would be some big protest from the "anti-round building movement" so that pretty much kills that idea

How it supposedly never occurred to the designers is beyond me, and I deal with artists every day.

It mentions in the article that an official at the company admitted to the similarities being acknowledged at some point in design. They probably thought no one would notice or it wouldn't be turned into such a big deal.

I don't any similarity, people just want to be butt hurt about it. Its a bridge going between the buildings, not two seperate objects hanging out of the buildings.

I have a hard time understanding how out country thinks everyone should do what we say. Some people think its offensive, so what? Everybody is always out to get offended, people are way to thin skinned.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I really do not see anything that resembles a burning leaning crumbling tower with a plane sticking out.. is that what they are saying here?

We can see bad things in all kinds of things if we want to.. I do not see it.. its a freaking high rise with connecting rooms..and I am definetely not insensitive about issues like that..