Knoxville Gun Show Produces a nice 66-2 2.5 inch

DAdams

I have been become fond of the model 19 and 66 2.5 inch S&W revolvers. .357 Magnum in a K Frame.

I recently purchased a NIB 19-4, so nice I'm going to look at it for awhile before subjecting it to the range.

The 19 and photos of the 66 convinced me I needed a stainless for carry. My plan was to find one that was suitably used so I wouldn't be tempted to put it away. Pretty much worked out as planned.

Went to a gun show in Knoxville, TN this weekend and waited for the last day and the last two hours thinking whatever was left might be subject to better prices.

I was surprised to find four 66s in 2.5 inch, one too nice and the (box didn't match) a bit pricey. One that was mechanically deficient although in good cosmetic shape; one that was beat to death and too expensive for the condition, and this one. Never fired (supposedly) very light turn line, locks up tight, box (not a SN match) and tools. I would describe it as 99.5%. 66-2 S&W K Frame in .357, and it is not going in the safe. There, now I have the 19 and 66 out of my system I'm moving on. Think I am going to start with a TT Grip adder and maybe some Jerry Miculek's later.

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010005-2.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Edited by DAdams
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

Congratulations. Went to the show at the Jacob Building a few weeks ago. I just walked out shaking my head. It reminded me of why I quit going to gun shows years ago.

Congratulations. Went to the show at the Jacob Building a few weeks ago. I just walked out shaking my head. It reminded me of why I quit going to gun shows years ago.

Why is that?

I have gone to two show in K'Ville. One at Chillhowee Park and this RK Show. There are lots of non gun stuff, kind of a flea market. Hence I guess if you pay 9-10 to get in and only want guns, then maybe you don't get your money's worth.

I went there looking for one gun and found four to choose from. Otherwise it would have taken month scouring local stores, pawn shops, and I am not particularly enthused buying something I can't see and hold, like GA, or GB, unless it is NIB.

Guest twpayne75
Why is that?

I have gone to two show in K'Ville. One at Chillhowee Park and this RK Show. There are lots of non gun stuff, kind of a flea market. Hence I guess if you pay 9-10 to get in and only want guns, then maybe you don't get your money's worth.

I went there looking for one gun and found four to choose from. Otherwise it would have taken month scouring local stores, pawn shops, and I am not particularly enthused buying something I can't see and hold, like GA, or GB, unless it is NIB.

You kind of nailed it. I can go to flea markets for free. I was looking for Sig Elites specifically. There was really only one vendor set up with any selection of guns that weren't kind of low rent that I saw. I ended up coming home and ordering one from a vendor on Sigforum and saving about $200. I guess the only bright spot was scoring some .357 Sig and .40 from GA Arms.

Sweet looking 66! I'm not a fan of Gun Shows. Yes, you get a bigger variety, but the prices are usually higher than a cats back for what you are getting. Your descriptions of the 4 66's that were left at the end of the day is apt. Used quality at a new price.

Used quality at a new price.

I have been trying to find new or near new quality in a 25+ year old gun at today's new prices and the new ones aren't the quality nor do they have the class of a 66 or a 19 or 28.

Yeah I don't think I would buy new tupperware at a gun show. No real redeeming reason there when you probably can do better at Bud's. Unless you want to support your local businesses.

Some of the ammo prices aren't bad by the time you put the tax against shipping.

There was a Benchmade knife I passed on and unless it was a knockoff it was reasonable. There was a nice Springfield MIA Scout that wasn't priced too bad...too bad it had the green furniture. There was also a decent selection of 5.56 uppers.

Edited by DAdams

+1 on the flea market thing. While I enjoy looking at old pocket watches and railroad lanterns, I bought a ticket to the gun show to look at.............yes.............believe it or not...............GUNS!!!! And congrats on the 66. I am green with envy.

i go to them gunshows and I have yet to find a shortage of guns. I have never seen people wanting to sell guns and they are turned away so a guy selling military surplus or a woman selling jewelry can have a table. Seems to me there is always room for a few more vendors. I don't see what the big deal is if knives or whatever else is being sold.

As for gun prices they seem to be what the market will bear. I also have no doubt there are some vendors that do guns shows as a hobby and don't care if they sell anything. Maybe they set up to see old friends or to just be part of the circus. Who knows? If you don't like their prices then don't buy. I never fail to see some stuff that have very fair prices. Check the gun ads here and see plenty of high prices too, as well as fair prices. It's just not guns shows.

I really don't get the complaining about it all.

As for the Smiff and Western the OP bought, I have NO doubt whatsoever that it not only had Garufa's grubby paw prints on it, but had plenty of his slobber as well :P

• 2 weeks later...