looking for new 22......anyone have this ?

SonnyCrockett

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coworker of mine purchased an ATI model like this. There was a Sig model at the gunshop but it cost a little more. He brought the ATI one into the office to show and I liked it. I'm going to get one myself when I can launder a little money from my bank account when the wife isn't looking. Shooting my 1911 is pricey, so using a dedicated .22 can get the muscle memory down without breaking the bank.

My understanding is that it is the same as the ATI 1911 22lr. Picked one up a few weeks back and it is the funnest gun that I own now. They are surprisingly accurate. They do call for high velocity ammo. Mine has been very reliable with Blazer and surprisingly with sk standard plus which is regular velocity. I've had probably 5 failures out of 500 rounds, but all things considered, it's a hoot to shoot.

It would have been nice if it came with two mags since extras run around $40.

Sig does not manufacture the .22 1911. They are built for Sig by GSG (German Sport Guns).

GSG-Waffen :: GSG-1911 :: Start

If you look around you will likely find a GSG branded gun for $100 less than the Sig.

Don't have either, but my understanding is they are both pretty good guns for a .22 1911, but are picky about ammo.

Ugghhh, I'm gonna have to buy one of these now.

If indeed they are the same thing, the ATI one I molested was very nice. I think it would be a great intro handgun for a youngin' and also good for anyone that has a real 1911. You can get all the muscle memory down for draw/aim/fire at a fraction of the cost of ammo. The only thing you're not getting is practice at recoil management. I'm thinking this would pay for itself after a few hundred rounds.

They are nice. I bought a mark III 22/45 and planned on going that route, but this is a much better choice IMO. The only thing I don't like is the ambi safety. I mistakenly referred to it as an ATI, but it is a GSG. ATI is the importer. The only ammo I've tried that it didn't really like was winchester Xpert 22 hollow points. I need to give them another try since it's been a few hundred rounds ago.

I looked really hard at the Sig/GSG but ended upgetting one of the Uramex/Colt/Walther 1911 .22lrs. I got the government model for $389 OTD. Seems well made. Fit and finish is good. I bought it for a fun range plinker.

It was a real close call between the different models and I did a good deal of research before I bought one. You probably can't go wrong with with either the GSG/Sig or the colt. Based on the reviews I have read I would stay awya for the Chiappa/Puma one. The reviews seem to indicate they are not well made.

Some of the advantages (IMHO) over the GSG/Sig

12 round mag

no magazine disconnect

fixed barrel

no allen wrench needed for takedown (takedown very easy)

If I understand the company relationships on this one it is made by Walther for Colt and imported by Umarex. (at least that is what it says on the gun).

I have taken it out two times and here are the results:

1st Time:

50 rounds CCI bulk--no issues

50 rounds Remington Subsonic -- no issues

50 rounds Federal bulk (walmart value pack) no issues

100 rounds of Winchester Superx -- no issues

200+ rounds Federal Lightening-- 7 failures to feed, 1 stovepipe. (note I also shot a new Ruger Mark III and had issues with the Federal Lightening with it also)

2nd time:

Shot a total of 500+ rounds and had 2 failure to feed and 2 stovepipes. All of these were with the Federal Lightening rounds.

Approx 100 CCI Blazer bulk -- no problems

Approx 50 rounds Winchester Super X -- no problems

Approx 50 rounds Remington subsonic bulk -- no problems

Approx 25 rounds of Federal Bulk -- no problems

Approx 300 rounds of Federal lightening -- 2 FTF and 2 stovepipes

Accuracy was very good today. I was shooting off a picnic table top and shooting at small stump protruding out of a pond at roughly 50 feet. (stick was approx 12" high and 4 inches wide) So it was no bullseye paper punch, but i was impressed.

Overall I am happy with the purchase. It is not a Colt Ace but it is cheaper than the Ruger Mark III that I recently bought and it was just as reliable and was close in accuracy to it.

I have to believe the issues with the Federal Lightening is ammo related. I have had trouble with it in every 22 auto I have shot it out of. Unfortuately I bought a bunch of it while it was on sale (4000 rds) so I guess I need to shoot it up quick to get rid of it

Here are some pics. I replaced the factory rubber grips with some wood ones

6478280949_cb6d3e94ab_z.jpg

6478281629_37a700c417_z.jpg

6478282329_e3bfd1fdb2_z.jpg

6478282789_ba91000dfa_z.jpg

I liked the colt FIRST but it was the wood grips of the SIG that brought it all home for me

but seeing that Colt w wood grips is DEF the gun I want now,a few bucks more for the Name

and easier take down look worth it...IMO if you need a wrench to take down a gun why bother

You can get after market wood grips fairly cheap if you look around. I got these from Altamont for $44 shipped. I have bought some really nice ones (without colt logo) off ebay for less than $20

The beaver tail, extended thumb safety and rear novak style sight on the gsg are more appealing to my preferences, though I do like the single sided thumb safety of the colt better. Also, the GSG is available with wood grips. Now the gold cup colt is pretty nice with the front strap checkering and the adjustable rear.

hand gun test page title save

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with either. Heck I have a feeling one day I will end up picking up a Sig/GSG "for my son" to go with my Colt

they all have big short comings now that I have done my research.......Shipping a gun,a 22 no less with one mag is a deal breaker for me

That SIG COLT,M&P and many others have ONE MAG WTH !

That colts sights (govt model) are not for me either this is a modern 22 not a ww2 relic..

The SIG has very nice features but a terrible takedown system.....Remember 22s are mainly for kids and beginners

I have no odea what these MFGs are thinking...I want a 22 with 3 dot sights,a normal take down and 2 mags

Ill find it

Two mags, at a minimum, should be the norm for selling a weapon of any caliber. But...that doesn't seem to be the case these days with a lot of manufacturers. I don't like it either, but seems we have to put up with it for the time being. Hopefully the dealers I've commented to can relay to sales reps and mfgs how we all feel about this. I've sent emails to a couple companies about it recently, but haven't recieved any feedback.

But on the orginal topic, I traded into a Sig 1911-22 and have been quite pleased with it. Good weight and feel. Pretty accurate, at least as much as I can be, and no feed issues as yet. I had a couple of bricks of 20+ year old Winchester Super-X and have run several boxes so far. The Sig seems to like them. I'll try some newer and different brands in the next range session.

Two mags, at a minimum, should be the norm for selling a weapon of any caliber. But...that doesn't seem to be the case these days with a lot of manufacturers. I don't like it either, but seems we have to put up with it for the time being. Hopefully the dealers I've commented to can relay to sales reps and mfgs how we all feel about this. I've sent emails to a couple companies about it recently, but haven't recieved any feedback.

But on the orginal topic, I traded into a Sig 1911-22 and have been quite pleased with it. Good weight and feel. Pretty accurate, at least as much as I can be, and no feed issues as yet. I had a couple of bricks of 20+ year old Winchester Super-X and have run several boxes so far. The Sig seems to like them. I'll try some newer and different brands in the next range session.

im checking out the sig in person tomorrow :rolleyes:

Guest coldblackwind

From what I've heard most of them are ok, just stay away from Chiappa whatever you do! I've got one I picked up at a flea market with a wilson combat .22 conversion on it, its a blast to play with!

Guest steve24

I got the GSG 1911 .22 for my birthday last month. It's the blacked out "tactical" model that has an accessory rail and even came with a fake suppessor!

The slide was a little gritty feeling when I got it so I polished the rails to make it smoother. I've only had it out once and I did have a few FTE's out of a couple of hundred rounds of Federal bulk hp ammo. I think I'll try some CCI Stingers or something similar next time to see if I get better results. It was a blast to shoot though!

And it does look pretty cool... ;)

2011-11-20_19-34-21_497.jpg