A gentle wake-up call on tactical awareness

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Or, "How I got the @*%! scared out of me."

My house sits on a hill, and so the basement is actually at ground level on the back half of the house. So, if you can imagine, ground level at the back of the house is the basement, while ground level at the front door is the upper level.

Anyway, I believe the basement was finished after the initial construction, and the HVAC system isn't optimized for controlling the bottom floor, so it tends to stay colder down here than on the top floor, where the thermostat is. But I work on my computer out of the basement, so this is kind of annoying. Yesterday, despite it being 70 outside, it was still uncomfortable down there, so I decided to try opening the outside basement door to let in some warm air. It worked like a charm, so today I did the same thing. I knew that leaving a door to my house wide open was sort of questionable, but I guess I trusted in my ability to be aware of my surroundings.

Wrong.

I'm in here typing away, and I hear a noise from right behind me. I turn around, and there's a friggin stray dog in here sniffing at an empty snack bag that I really need to get off the floor. Well, at least I know that my command voice is still functional. :P

But seriously, that could have been a more dangerous creature than a dog. Time to find another way to keep it warm down here.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only way to correct that is put the thermostat in the basement then you are screwed during the summer and your utility bill is through the roof in the winter or to get a small mini-split or wall unit heater/AC unit to put downstairs and disconnect the ductwork for the upstairs unit. If you have more than one room downstairs you will probably want to go with the mini split.

Guest dotsun

Install a cheapo screen door that you can lock. At least it'll keep 4 legged critters out and you'll hear the 2 legged kind breaking it down.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Install a cheapo screen door that you can lock. At least it'll keep 4 legged critters out and you'll hear the 2 legged kind breaking it down.

good idea :P

Guest eyebedam

If you decide on a mini split or any other type of ac upgrade I can get it for cost through my work. You will just need to get someone to instsll it. I could prob help you out on that 1 to.

during warm weather I tend to leave the garage door open. Our house sits on a hill similar to yours. It may sit open until three in the AM if I stay up that late. One night such as this I went outside to answer natures call and there were about 8 raccoons lined up ready to make an assault on my abode. Another time just a month or so ago I had the door open as well as the walk through door from the garage to the basement. I went outside for some reason or other and came back in and there was one of the neighbors dogs from up near the street sniffing around in the basement. Birds too, I get birds in the garage. No bad guys as of yet though. May not end well for someone if that were to happen.