IDPA equipment discussion thread.

Guest Jason F.

Guest Jason F.

I participated in my first IDPA style event last weekend and needless to say I really enjoyed it. It also got me thinking a little.

I think it would be helpful to some, or maybe just me, to discuss the pros and cons or most frequently successful/used pieces of equipment including handguns for IDPA use.

Obviously the core purpose of IDPA events is to promote participation with real world daily concealed carry equipment. No high dollar race guns and tacticool clip holsters. The argument could be made that whatever you carry daily should be used if you want to participate in IDPA. I do not think that is completely realistic however as most of us own multiple guns and possibly even carry multiple guns depending on the situation.

Personally I own a couple of 1911 guns for range use. I do not carry them although I guess I could. I have a few C&R type military hand guns that I would neither carry or use in an IDPA event. I also own a .22 plinker pistol or two. Again not a carry or IDPA option. I carry a snubby J frame and while I probably should be able to successfully complete a IDPA type CoF with it if I am going to carry it the barely 2 inch barrel length is not exactly ideal for competition. I have been thinking of adding a modern DAO or DA/SA pistol with a high capacity in 9mm or .40. It might be, dare I say it, polymer based.

So if you were going out to buy a handgun for IDPA type event participation that would also double as a carry weapon what would you choose, why, and what group or class does it fall in?

We could also cover the holster debate and list what you prefer there as well. Kydex or leather? Retention strap or friction retention? IWB, paddle, pancake, or clip/loop?

Right now I am seriously considering a standard sized M&P 9mm but have not ruled out a Beretta 92 style gun or even a longer barreled .357/.38 revolver. Cost of the gun itself is important but also the cost and availability of spare magazines/speedloaders, appropriate holsters, and spare parts would seem to be of importance. Right now I have a number of guns in odd calibers like 22 Hornet, 32 H&R Magnum, 9x18 Makarov, and 7.62x25mm. While those are fun they can become a little bit of a pain to find ammo for and the costs tend to run at a slight premium.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clutepc

I also have many of the same questions.

IDPA is something I could see myself getting into very easily but I normally carry a M&P40 Compact which is probably not the best weapon.

I've been doing a lot of reading but I'm curious what the regular IDPA shooters use for some of their equipment.

If there is enough response to this it might be good to have a IDPA Q&A section.

I think Rabbi hooked a few of us this past weekend, so I'm sure there are more questions.

Guest tcampbell

I am interested in IDPA as well. I have an XD subcompact 9mm and and XD 45 compact 4". I am curious to know if either or both of these can be used for IDPA. They will fit in the IDPA box...so my guess is that I could use either.

Firest understand that there are different classes of guns and each class competes against itself.

So 1911s in .45acp basically compete against themselves and sometimes SIG P220s.

In the Stock Service Pistol group generally the ticket is a full sized duty gun. Mag capacity isnt an issue because you're limited to 10 rounds anyway. So sight radius becomes more important, and you cant get good sight radius on a compact gun like a sub compact XD.

In caliber I would think .40 is a poor choice because the extra recoil means follow up shots are harder to make. Also ammo cost plays into it.

So you're looking at a duty sized 9mm. Popular are: Sig P226, Beretta 92, Glock 17, SPringfield XD etc. I would definitely look at the Beretta Px4 in 9mm. Actually I had purchased one with the idea of using it for IDPA but someone in the shop wanted it more than me. Also the CZ75. So happens I have one that would be perfect for that set up in the shop, extra mags holsters and all.

In holsters, there are all kinds of IDPA rules and I dont remember them. Basically something you would carry on the street. Personally I dont like retention holsters (something else to go wrong) but other people seem to do fine with them.

You might keep in mind that revolver shooters make up like 10% of IDPA competitors, and tend to be older guys as well. So if you shoot revolver you gain a demographic advantage.

IN all, there is not one gun that is going to make you a super competitor. Thge sport was set up that way. It is as purely shooting skill as a sport can be. So the key is practice and familiarity.

Guest tcampbell

I would just end up using my XD 45 compact then...with the extended mag, it is the same same as the 4" service XD. I can't get anymore HG's right now...but if I were to do IDPA on a regular basis, then I would order an XD 9mm 5" service model from Rabbi..since 9mm ammo is cheaper than 45

Guest utarch00

I used my M&P 9 and think it is a great choice. I do carry it on a regular basis. I am actually looking at getting a second one and setting it up more for compettition, i.e. fiber optic front sight, grippier grips, etc.

Guest bang-flash

i use a m&p 9 full size. for holster i have a leather pancake owb and 2 extra mag carriers.

my first match was in january and my equipment has not held me back yet. the leather holster will be the first item replaced eventually. i may try and apply some silicone to the inside of it to see if that slickens things up a little bit. but it will probably be replaced with some sort of kydex.

an overlooked piece of kit some forget about is a belt. a good sturdy leather one will do the job. i went overkill and have a nylon instructor type with kydex sewn in to reinforce it.

in my limited experience the gun of choice is some model of glock. but the xd, m&p, glock are all good choices. even though sigs and barettas are great guns, the long first trigger pull can be a hindrance to some. also glock mags tend to be more available and cheaper.

Guest wheelgunner100

The kind of gun/equipment you use depends mostly on what you are trying to get out of IDPA. I look at the sport as a way to practice with my carry gear. What I'm carrying at the time is what I shoot in matches. For several years that was primarily a Ruger GP-100 with fixed sights and a 3" barrel in a Fist #12 basic holster. I managed to classify as an expert with that rig after a few years.

Many people are more into the competition aspect of the game and will go with something like a Glock 34 and a Blade-Tech holster. This is a really fast combination.

Just about anything that you have as a carry gun will work (5 shot snubbies don't do too well except at the back-up gun shoots). Part of the fun is coming to the matches and seeing what everybody else has.

A good carry/competition gun would be something like the Glock 19, S&W M&P, Springfield XD.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Right now I am seriously considering a standard sized M&P 9mm but have not ruled out a Beretta 92 style gun or even a longer barreled .357/.38 revolver.

I have both a M&P9 and a 92FS that accompany me on every range trip. If you want a chance to shoot both of them back to back let me know. I usually end up at On Target at least once a week.

You may also want to check out the new 5" M&P9.

• Administrator

Are you asking from a gaming perspective or from a practical one? If the former, then I would use a 5" barrel 9mm automatic of some sort. I like my XD Tactical for this.

If it's the latter, I'd use whatever you carry. If it's a compact .40SW then use that. If it's a J-Frame, then use that. The point being, use in the game what you might be called upon to use in real life ... if the point of your participation in the game is to hone your real-world skills.

I've participated in USPSA shoots running both types of gear. I actually had more fun running my carry weapon just because it showed me how much I needed to improve on things like rapid sight acquisition and follow-up placement.

Just carry what you shoot best and is IDPA legal. From a practical standpoint, Glocks are hard to beat due to the consistant trigger pull, cheap mags, and availability of parts and accessories. I would not worry about choosing between a mid-size, full size, or long slide. Shoot what you have or like. In terms of competitiveness, for most shooters there is not an appreciable difference between a Glock 19, 17, or 34. You are giving up some with the compacts and subcompacts. If you go to a major match you will see that most shooters are shooting Glocks, 1911s, or M&Ps. There is a reason for that. In the end, however, it is the shooter and not the gun. Find what fits you and learn to shoot it well.

Guest Jason F.

To answer a question or two posted above my goal is to participate as more of a practical use scenario sort of thing. I was considering purchasing a new gun anyway and I think that gun will be for the purpose of Practical Shooting type matches and carry. None of my current weapons were purchased with any thought toward carry save my j frame snub nose. They were all purchased for no other reason than i liked them and thought they would be fun at the range. This time if I am going to purchase something I am going to at least have a purpose for it on the front end and be a little more specific. i will probably use what ever I purchase as a primary carry gun once I test it out and get comfortable with it. The j frame will then become a backup, pocket, or a light carry gun when I can not conceal the auto.

I am a big guy with larger hands and plenty of waist area to conceal a gun so I do not have to carry a sub compact or compact to conceal well. Larger guns just tend to fit my hand better and as a result I am more accurate with them I am sure.

The Evil Enabler Bill may cause me problems as I will be in Nashville Friday and I have always liked CZ's. He mentioned having a CZ75 rig with spare mags and holsters already so my wallet may be in trouble if I like it.

In terms of competitiveness, for most shooters there is not an appreciable difference between a Glock 19, 17, or 34. You are giving up some with the compacts and subcompacts.

I carry and compete with a Glock 19, and I can verify that the 34 shooters usually have an advantage. At five feet, the 19 is better. Anything past 7 or 8 yards, 34 all the way.

Guest price g

Years ago I started with a Kimber .45 I did well with it but it didn't take long for me to figure out they are at a disadvantage with the mag capacity rules. Its been all Glock from there.

Years ago I started with a Kimber .45 I did well with it but it didn't take long for me to figure out they are at a disadvantage with the mag capacity rules. Its been all Glock from there.

You are at a slight disadvantage when considering bragging rights, but technically, you are only shooting against other 8-shot .45s.

Guest Grout
You are at a slight disadvantage when considering bragging rights, but technically, you are only shooting against other 8-shot .45s.

So true.The simplicity of IDPA scoring makes score comparison easy and very misleading.In CDP you are also shooting at a higher power factor.

Guest wheelgunner100
What type or brand of vest is everyone using? Or are you using something else for a cover garmet?

The "official IDPA uniform" vest is the 5.11 vest or something like it. Not really official but someone could easily think so due to the fact that almost everyone wears one. They are quite handi but being the contrary fellow that I am I usually wear a very simple vest that my wife made for me or just my (very)bright yellow hawaiian shirt open in the front. Anything that covers the gun and magazines while you hold your arms straight out to the sides will work.

Guest canynracer

OK...so I am lost....can I use my M&P 40C??? it is the compact...I am interested in IDPA for the fun of it, but mostly for the practice...

and how many mags do you need? My M&P holds 10+1 .40