How many ban Santa in your homes?

Chucktshoes

Guest bkelm18
Sorry but belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and God are not the same thing at all.

To you perhaps, because you know the others are just a fabrication for the benefit of children, but to a child, each one of them is as real as the next. That is the true beauty of a child's mind. Anything is possible.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To you perhaps, because you know the others are just a fabrication for the benefit of children, but to a child, each one of them is as real as the next. That is the true beauty of a child's mind. Anything is possible.

I think you are making nicemac's point for him when you say ".....each one of them is as real as the next.....". I want my children know that they serve a holy, righteous and loving God who hears them when they call upon him and need him. If "one is just as real as the next" to a child, they might be praying to the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny or Santa in their time of need.

My kids appreciate Robin Hood and many of the traditional fairy tales, but they have not for a moment thought they were true. Likewise, they are familiar with the Santa story and know it is just a fairy tale. When I tell them a fairy tale is not true, it does not steal the joy of it. They still enjoy it very much. As for my family, we place a heavy emphasis on truth in our home and the ability to discern truth. That seems to be a lost art in our culture. I know our culture has embraced the Santa Story, but I don't feel compelled to join in just because of the culture deems it to be normal.

If you think my kids are deprived because they don't believe Santa is real, you should see them some time. They are bouncing off of the walls and are so very excited about christmas. We still laugh about the time we were in a store and somone asked my son who was around 5 if he had been good or bad this year. He responded with "In our house we have a grace based christmas." I don't know where he got that, but he was right on target.

I might add that once the kids were old enough to know better we explained to them that Santa was real. That he was inside all of us and it was the spirit of giving to others, some who may need more than you have.

This^^^^.

My son believed for his young years and then reluctantly began to question Santa, not wanting the gifts to end was a part of this, I suppose.

We told him that when he knew the truth, he had the opportunity to BECOME Santa himself, and continue the myth for the benefit of younger children. He accepted this willingly, and is very charitable and giving and sacrificial in his own right. He's a true custodian of the Christmas spirit.

Frankly, as a Marine (not forgetting the Marine-sponsored Toys for Tots campaign) he's helped to bring the gift of Freedom to children on far shores.

And, there's this, a grace note to the Santa myth:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F0yEiHzEaRc/TQ-7E520bsI/AAAAAAAAEB8/TDHOhV3pRrY/s1600/santa_kneeling_lg.jpg

Guest bkelm18
I think you are making nicemac's point for him when you say ".....each one of them is as real as the next.....". I want my children know that they serve a holy, righteous and loving God who hears them when they call upon him and need him. If "one is just as real as the next" to a child, they might be praying to the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny or Santa in their time of need.

My kids appreciate Robin Hood and many of the traditional fairy tales, but they have not for a moment thought they were true. Likewise, they are familiar with the Santa story and know it is just a fairy tale. When I tell them a fairy tale is not true, it does not steal the joy of it. They still enjoy it very much. As for my family, we place a heavy emphasis on truth in our home and the ability to discern truth. That seems to be a lost art in our culture. I know our culture has embraced the Santa Story, but I don't feel compelled to join in just because of the culture deems it to be normal.

If you think my kids are deprived because they don't believe Santa is real, you should see them some time. They are bouncing off of the walls and are so very excited about christmas. We still laugh about the time we were in a store and somone asked my son who was around 5 if he had been good or bad this year. He responded with "In our house we have a grace based christmas." I don't know where he got that, but he was right on target.

I think you missed my point, but I digress. I'm not up for a theological discussion on the merits of Santa, God, and Flying Spaghetti Monsters. :rolleyes:

I think you missed my point, but I digress. I'm not up for a theological discussion on the merits of Santa, God, and Flying Spaghetti Monsters. ;)

I'm actually surprised and impressed this thread took this long to go full bore religious! :)

I believed in Santa with all my heart. I believed he flew in a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. I believed he gave presents to every child in the world in one night. I believed it because my mother, father, grandparents and Television and department stores said so. THEN I FOUND OUT THEY WERE ALL LYING!

These same people who lied to me about Santa then told me about a man who was born of a virgin, walked on water, healed the sick, was crucified then rose from the dead and he ascended into heaven.

So here I am, a six year old kid thinking, "You fooled me once, you won't fool me again!"

So I say, BAN SANTA and tell your children the truth.

I'm actually surprised and impressed this thread took this long to go full bore religious! ;)

Aren't we supposed to be "clinging to our guns and religion here?" All kidding aside, I realize I am in the minority here and I appreciate that we can all voice our opinions. I felt like I should post a little reasoning behind our decision in my previous posts since the OP had a real concern that my family also has.