Hunting Bags

Guest FNEG

Ok I am not new to hunting because I grew up hunting with my dad. But I haven't hunted in ten years and this year I gave it another shot and really liked it.I guess now that I am older just to get out of the city and stress is nice, which is something I didn't want when I was a teenager. So now I have started acquiring all the gear needed for a decent and safe one day trip. Thermos, compass, etc. I am planning on ordering this :

Badlands Monster Fanny Pack, Hunting Bags & Packs, Packs, Camping : Cabela's

It seems to have plenty of room for everything from calls to hot hands. So this leads me to my question. What do you carry? What type of bag? What is in it? Would you recommend it?

This is what I have so far.

Bleet call

Grunt call

20 Oz thermos

Compass

Doe pee drag

one of those no spill doe pee wicks

a small first aid kit

gloves

hothands

one meal replacement bar (emergency meal plan)

flash light

fixed blade knife (for gutting and stuff)

Rag for wiping blood up

16 oz. nalgene bottle.

fire strike

TP

as for gps so I don't get lost i have back country navigator on my phone with all if tn on my sd card so I don't need cell service to use.

I am trying to keep the weight down so the enjoyment of the hunt will be easier on me not like I hiking 10 miles to set up camp , just a safe day pack.

Edited by FNEG
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rifle (in my hand), knife and extra ammo (on my belt), and sometimes a climbing stand (on my back). I've deer hunted for many, many years, and I've yet to need anything else.

(edited) I also have in my pocket my license, a baggie tie to attach the kill tag to the deer, and a couple of paper towels.

Edited by gregintenn
Rifle (in my hand), knife and extra ammo (on my belt), and sometimes a climbing stand (on my back). I've deer hunted for many, many years, and I've yet to need anything else.

(edited) I also have in my pocket my license, a baggie tie to attach the kill tag to the deer, and a couple of paper towels.

I do have a climber too. But from what I understand you can leave it unattended on public land for 24 hours. So I figure if I hunt that weekend then I will go out and put the climber on the tree, locked of course, and hunt with it sat and sun. Then haul it out sunday.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'm very similar to you but I have a field and stream cheapo fanny pack from Dicks'R' Us. It works well but wish I had bought one like you have mentioned above, it will work well, I have no doubt.

I carry,

Ammo

Scent

Rattle pack

Grunt

Drag rope about 8-10'

Rubber gloves

Knife

Twine or wire for attaching kill tag

Usually a GPS more for area mapping than getting lost.

That's about it

I got it tonight and filled it up. It took everything that I listed and still has room for some sandwhiches. So all in all I like it. Fits good and carries weight well ,I filled up the Thermos and water bottle to get a better idea. I was surprised that when wearing it with a tshirt then over my coat I only had to adjust the waist strap to make it ride right.

Guest ochretoe

I carry everything in coat pockets. I only use a pack if I'm going overnight or an all day outing with hiking involved. I carry everything you have but a thermos and nalgene bottle.

I am Sitting in my stand post this. The Badlands monster Fanny pack is a nice bag. It hold all my gear with room to grow and rides well hiking into the woods. I am happy with my purchase so far

Glad you are happy with it. After all, that's what counts. I have a lot of bags but I usually just toss my stuff in a cheap walmart backpack. I like it cause it's quite material and is light weight. I like to keep my stuff in a bag because I forget things I want if I have to pack pockets every morning in my half sleep state.