New gun shop in Morristown with a familiar name to some of you. (Mike's Gun Shop)

Guest twpayne75

Guest twpayne75

Mods: if this is improper, please delete or move it to the proper place. I have seen a few new shop announcements and they were not in any specific place.

A buddy of mine just opened his third shop. Mike's Gun Shop in Morristown TN. It is located at 442 North Cumberland St. Their phone number is 423-307-5197.

He started out with the one in Tazewell Tn, then came Middlesboro Ky, and now Morristown. You will not find better people anywhere. His son Sambo or "little Mike" is running that store. Before any ideas are gotten, he is not little.:mad:

He told me yesterday that they are running an add and will be having some "specials" to get the word out that they are open. We did not get into what they were. I was just there to pick up a SS 229 Elite.:)

He also has his Class 7 MFG License, I think it is, and SOT. He is building suppressors and will be able to do Class III transfers and such. I don't know what his inventory is like at that location as I have not been to it yet. His inventory in Tazewell is unreal. I have not been in a shop in a hundred and fifty mile radius that can come close to comparing, regardless of how big the business is and how much they advertise. Mike tries not to advertise to much. He mainly goes on word of mouth. The less he has to pay out, the better he can price his inventory. And it must work, at Tazewell on about any given day, the store is shoulder to shoulder. He moves a lot of inventory.

And as I have mentioned here before, every time I visit a gun shop around the area, and I will not mention names, I want to go back to his shop and hug him. When I go into a shop for the first time there are certain guns that most shops carry that I will price check just to get an idea of their markup. Most of the time I find them $30 - $50 higher on a moderately priced gun and $100+ higher on higher end guns.

If you are in the area, check them out. I hope to be able to get over that way in the next week or so. If you go into the store and don't see what you want, ask for it. More than likely there is one at the Tazewell location.

Guest twpayne75
Good news.

Most if not all shops in Morristown are way over priced. So I am glad to see Mike open a shop there.

Agreed. It's hard to touch his prices. Anything he orders is just 10% over dealer cost. I bought two Gen 4 Glocks from him a couple months ago. Both I paid $499 plus tax and BGC. I have seen them sell for as much as $569 plus tax and BGC at some other local places. I honestly don't see how some places stay in business. Guess they sell enough range visits to not matter, or some people just have enough money that they don't care to look.

Just to expound on what the OP has said. Mike's gunshop has the largest inventory of any shop I know of. What is on the floor is amazing but he has a lot more in storage on site. I have been there and seen someone ask for a oddball gun only to have Mike walk downstairs and bring it up. His prices are great as well, never found a place that regularly has prices like his. And the selection of accessories and reloading supplies is pretty amazing as well.

I was in there last year when he was discussing building suppressors. Glad he finally got around to it. I can only imagine he is going to upset some with his suppressor prices as well.

And finally, they are a great bunch of people. They are freindly and willing to let you touch anything on the shelves. They are also very knowledgeable but still let the customer be right.

Glad he and his staff are doing well in this climate. Hopefully they will be open as long as I am around.

Dolomite

Guest twpayne75

Roger that Dolomite. When we talked about suppressors a few weeks ago he mentioned the .22 model was going to be around $100. He said that both ends would unscrew for cleaning. I have not seen any of them yet, but he said we would "demo" some in the next few weeks.

I have been buying from him since he was selling out of his garage. He had to be convinced to open a shop in the first place, then it took off. Then he had to be convinced to stock higher end guns, because he was afraid he would get stuck with them. Now he stocks about everything. Sometimes it's hard to find something because he keeps so much. What you see when you go in is nowhere near all they have. That's why I always tell people to ask if there is something specific they are looking for, chances are they have it.

I'll stop in and check the place out. Now if he could just open a range in Morristown I'd definitely spend some money with him.

We sure do need a range in Morristown area. It would do well. As of now you have to drive to Sevierville (a very nice range) or west Knoxville. Morristown is ideally located half way between K-town and Tir Cities. It always nice to see a new gun shop in the area. Do you think Mike could get some new restaurants to move into M-town?

• Like 1
Guest twpayne75
We sure do need a range in Morristown area. It would do well. As of now you have to drive to Sevierville (a very nice range) or west Knoxville. Morristown is ideally located half way between K-town and Tir Cities. It always nice to see a new gun shop in the area. Do you think Mike could get some new restaurants to move into M-town?

I wish someone would put a range in Morristown too. The insurance and zoning is what would kill you. Mainly I shoot at Coal Creek, only on Tuesday when me and my wife can shoot for $5.00, or every once in a while at Shooters Edge in Piney Flats when I am up around Bristol.

I wish someone would put a range in Morristown too. The insurance and zoning is what would kill you. Mainly I shoot at Coal Creek, only on Tuesday when me and my wife can shoot for $5.00, or every once in a while at Shooters Edge in Piney Flats when I am up around Bristol.

You may or may not know theres a nice one here in sevierville.

You may or may not know theres a nice one here in sevierville.

I've been to S.I.R. It is a nice range and the people there have always been great. It just takes around an hour and a half to get there. If you spend any time shooting, the day is pretty well spent. I'd just like to be able to shoot without the need to plan a road trip. I think citizens should be permitted to use law enforcement ranges. After all, we are paying for them.

Guest oldslowchevy

i have been dealing with wild wills guns here in morristown on 45 lc rounds $20 a box (walmart $27) there prices on guns seen avg though. i will have to check out mike though, as i will be in the market for a new pistol later next year.

Guest twpayne75
i have been dealing with wild wills guns here in morristown on 45 lc rounds $20 a box (walmart $27) there prices on guns seen avg though. i will have to check out mike though, as i will be in the market for a new pistol later next year.

I have been there...........once.

Seemed like a nice guy. Did not have a lot in stock. What he had in stock was a little high in my opinion. He did price me a few Sig Elites and his order markup was very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twpayne75

Just bumping this to say that I stopped into Mike's new store and talked to his son yesterday. They have several guns there, but nothing like New Tazewell. If there is something you want ask. They have two more heavily stocked stores they can draw inventory from. Sambo (Mike's son) said they are trying to hold off on buying anymore stock until Shot Show. Mike generally drops several hundred thousand dollars at that time.

They are all a great bunch of guys, nothing more can be said. I talk to a lot of people and have never heard a single complaint about Mike and his operation. That goes a long way in my book because within the gun crowd one bad experience spreads far and wide.

It seems as though Mike has done the impossible. Even though they say you can't please everybody all the time, it seems like he has.

Dolomite

I have done business with Mike personally in Tazewell several times and he has always been a pleasure to deal with.

I too have been to MIkes place in Tazewell as well. I purhcased my last Russian SKS from him. I metioned to him that I had my CR ffl and he considered me a dealer and made me one heck of a deal. If he wasnt so far away id buy more from him. Nice place to deal with.