Think this will work? AR optic

Caster

So I was tinkering with different things this evening; Sighting options for my newly completed AR.

I have a 2x20 Nikon pistol scope. This AR has a really beefy gasblock held on by 4 set screws. I used an old pair of rings I had laying around and viola! I think I like this! Eye relief is perfect. I will have to buy a set of rings just a touch higher to make it just right for a comfortable cheek weld, but that's a non issue. I just wonder [opinions please] if it will be rigid enough to hold zero???

I was shouldering it over and over and it is FAST and I can see the reticle with both eyes open. I didn't think that was possible, it being a magnified view and all, but I guess 2x is doesn't distort much. I wonder [opinions please] if by holding it only by the front half if it will be susceptible to being knocked off zero easily? I'm not a clutz, but if the least little bump knocks it off well....

Thanks for any thoughts

DSC01872.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a little rinky dinky with that mount to me.

Think I would try a mount like this

American Defense Quick Release 1in Scope Mount [ADMRECON1] - $187.95 : Bowers Tactical, featuring products from Accuracy International, ARMS, Bianchi, Blackhawk, Buffer Technologies, Bulldog, CQB Solutions, Don Hume, First Samco, Fobus, GG&G, Gemtech

ADMRECON1.jpg

That should give you enough offset to mount it with the rings on the front and back of your scope. NCStar makes a similar mount if you're on a tight budget

an AR variant of Jeff Coopers Scout rifle concept,.. should work fine as long as it is mounted securely

I would consider mounting a piece of rail to the end of the FF tube and using the offset mount strickj posted to support the scope fore and aft though, and should end up close to where you have it there..

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
scope mount suggestion
Guest 556or762

I say do what works for you just remember as stated before the gas block gets toasty, and also remember that you are mounting extra weight to the top of a barrel near the center that might mess with barrel harmonics. I dont know for sure but if you try both mounting it to the upper shoot a group and then move to the gas block I would bet the accuracy would be better and more repeatable on the upper without the added weight on the barrel. LngRngShtr had a great idea about the rail mounted to the handguard it is already a free float guard so it will not affect the barrel and if thats why you went with the free float the scope might take you back a step or two. I try not to mount anything extra to the barrel and only to the hanguard or upper receiver so I know Im not jacking with my acccuracy, even if you swapped handguards and mounted it to a 2 piece drop in quad rail it is supported by both the front behind the gas bock and the rear at the delta ring distributing the stresses.