Don't assume you know!!!

Well there was a knock on the door about 11:00pm last night. Now normally this would be reason enough for mild concern, but living in the middle of town (as small as it is) it is not unheard of. My daughter and her boyfriend are staying with my mother who lives next door. There was a storm on the way and we have had some problems with drainage in her basement. He had been over earlier in the talking about it and gathering items, so I just assumed it was him and he needed something else.

I open the door and NOPE!!…it’s the neighborhood crook, thief, “can I get a rideâ€, etc… guy. Thankfully I was still up and dressed, due to the storms coming so still had my weapon on my side. I recovered pretty quick and turned my strong side away from him, moved right hand back in the area of my holster and kept my left hand on the door to push it closed if need be. No I admit in the past I have been suckered in once or twice in giving him a ride, but that was mainly just to get him out of the neighborhood, but not at 11 at night. He got about two syllables out before I told him I wasn’t taking him anywhere. That it was 11 at night he’s lucky he didn’t get shot.

I talked with the officer on duty a little after that and he told me how the guy had just got out of jail earlier last night. That he had already had a few calls on him and had contacted family members to get him for the night. As luck would have it, his sister lives about two doors down from me. So I let him know he was back on the loose…lol

Anyway….sort of long winded to just say, Don’t ever assume you know who it is, what they want etc….

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY

we have a guy like that around here every now and then. i was told hes been in jail for touching kids. i told the cop that patrols around here that if he comes around my kids he is going down.:)

A few years ago I lived in Antioch (clue #1), in a second story apartment right next door to a handful of thug types who, to put it delicately, were in the exotic pharmaceuticals business. Nice enough folks for the most part... they left me alone, just eyeballed me as I would squeeze between them coming up the stairs. They had regular visitors at all times of the day and night... and many of them were so high or low that they naturally got the wrong door. Made for a few tense exchanges at times, yelling through the door and them pounding on it.

Guest SUNTZU

I have a question for you guys. My girlfriend is from Peachtree City in Atlanta. She said that Atlanta regularly loads buses with homeless people on buses and ships them out of state after paying them a small amount of money. She said that they eventually work there way back to Atlanta. Anybody ever hear of this?

Kinda reminds me of what happened to my wife when she was visiting her parents in MI. They had the little town meth head come over their fence trying to talk to them trying to get money or whatever he could. My MIL slipped into the house and grabbed the riot shotgun and came back out. The guy lost his pants trying to get back over the fence.

Kinda reminds me of what happened to my wife when she was visiting her parents in MI. They had the little town meth head come over their fence trying to talk to them trying to get money or whatever he could. My MIL slipped into the house and grabbed the riot shotgun and came back out. The guy lost his pants trying to get back over the fence.

:D:)

Even though I can't get high speed internet, I have to take my own garbage to the dump, and I have to drive 15 miles into a town........I'm sooooo glad I live in the sticks!! B)

My advice to everyone on this forum that lives in a city/town would be to try as hard as you can to get out! Get a few acres somewhere that has no restrictions and if you have to drive into town for work.....just get a little gas saver and make the drive. It's well worth it.

I know that even in the sticks, there's still crime and you always have to be prepared for anything....but the odds of something bad happening are much less....and the bonus is that you can shoot on your own property :P

Nothing better than seeing who's at the door at 3 am butt naked with a flashlight and a .45.

The last time that happened it was because the neighbor had rear-ended my visiting mom's car who had parked on the street. They lived two houses up on a quiet dead end street, how the hell do you rear end a car within 100 feet of your driveway :P

I'm happy where we are now... quiet neighborhood with no hoodlums, around the curve from a nice golf course along a greenway, can't throw a rock and hit any of my neighbor's houses, and the dogs have plenty of room to run on the property, inside the electronic containment. The worst issue we've had the nosy retired neighbor who likes to meander over and play with the dogs... I couldn't go back to a city and wondering if I'll be mugged right outside my door, for any reason.

The only folks that knock on our door (besides friends and the Pizza guys) are the Jehovah's Witnesses when they are out doing their service ministry. I wonder of the Rangemaster sticker on our car helps with that?

I guess the city is just in my blood- lived in cities in 8 states and 2 countries for half a century so far. Moved to a small town for a year or so a couple of times and went kinda nuts with the lack of variety (for me). Memphis is the smallest most conservative backwater place my wife has ever lived.

Different strokes...

Guest GLOCKGUY
The only folks that knock on our door (besides friends and the Pizza guys) are the Jehovah's Witnesses when they are out doing their service ministry. I wonder of the Rangemaster sticker on our car helps with that?

I guess the city is just in my blood- lived in cities in 8 states and 2 countries for half a century so far. Moved to a small town for a year or so a couple of times and went kinda nuts with the lack of variety (for me). Memphis is the smallest most conservative backwater place my wife has ever lived.

Different strokes...

the last time the Jehovah's Witnesses was out here doing their service ministry. i knew it was them because they had been here about ten times in the past. i never answered the door. this time i had just got out of the shower and all i had on was my underwear so i tucked my gun in my underwear and i answered the door and yelled what the hell you want. they just walk off never heard or seen them again :D

Guest GLOCKGUY
I had some guys out here once advocating awareness for people with hearing disabilities.They even had pamphlets:rolleyes:

Anywho,all I could do is say hunh,what...after every thing they said :D

14104_icon_smile_laugh_1.gif14104_icon_smile_laugh_1.gif14104_icon_smile_laugh_1.gif

Guest mikedwood

Good point Fallguy, a similar reason is why I got back into guns, a year ago I had none. My son liked to knock on the door as if he were going to beat it down. The area I live in not much happens but it's close enough to town where something occasionally does.

One night about 2 am the door was getting pounded like my son usually did, I hadn't quite gone to bed yet, I was working on a computer or something. I go down and look out the peep hole, it's black of course, I said "Who is it?" and turned on the light. Some blond haired guy starts beating on the door again and cussing for me to let him in. I went to the kitchen and got a knife but I told him "I have a 12 GA and that will be what I use to open the door" ( I lied I had no 12 GA at the time but now I do, 500 mossberg with 18 1/2" barrel and pistol grip, 00 low recoil buck). Anyway he didn't know that and left real fast. I waited about 10 Min's and went on patrol outside with my knife. I did call 911 and no one ever showed up.

A few months before that we had a drive by or firecrackers, dunno which, called 911 then to and no one came. Now I am prepared, I have a lot more than a knife to fend them off with.

I also put up a motion sensor so the light goes on and I don't have to give anything away turning it on.

BTW I live in a quiet neighborhood even with those two stories, everyone that visits comments on how quiet it is.

Guest kwikrnu

I think some of you guys are just paranoid. I knocked twice on a front door Tuesday at 7:30pm looking for someone who owes me money. Unkown to me people inside called 911 on me. A man came out of the garage and told me to stay right there they had called 911. I told him to call 911 again, because I wanted to talk to them. He then told the 911 operator I was trespassing. I was like, you told me to stay where I was, now you say I am trespassing. Which one is it? If I was a bad guy with intent to do this man harm it would have been so easy.

If someone knocks at your door tell them to leave the property immediately through a closed door. Chances are pretty good they will. If they don't call the police, but stay inside. You are much safer behind a closed door than trying to confront someone outside. If the person hangs around on your property after you told them to leave there is always the chance they will go to jail for criminal trespass.

Edited by kwikrnu