New Pistol

Guest Doubletap2

Guest Doubletap2

Hey..

I haven't been on here in a while. Just stopped by to visit and share some information. I have owned a Springfield XD-9 subcompact for quite a while now as my CCW. I wanted to buy something smaller and looked at the S&W Bodyguard .380. It had the built in laser sights, lightweight, overall I was sold on it and bought it. I figured Smith & Wesson.... can't go wrong, right? ....Wrong

First time out on the range ... it misfired at least a dozen times out of 50 rounds. Switched ammo same thing. Called S&W, they said they haven't had any problems with the BG .380. Of course that was the response I expected. I sent the pistol back to them for repair. In the meantime I google searched the product only to find this was not an isolated incident. You Tube had several disturbing videos you may consider looking at.

A week or so later I received my pistol back from S&W. I took it back to the range fired GREAT! until the 4th round.... that's right misfire again ... had to double tap every other round. On top of that, the laser sight quit working. After examining a misfired round I noticed the firing pin was not striking it hard enough compared to other rounds that had actually fired properly.

I was totally po'd ....

Instead of sending it back or calling them over it again I just went upstairs and traded it in for a Sig Sauer P238 Equinox .380. That was actually the pistol I wanted anyway just didn't want to spend the money. So I bit the bullet paid the difference and am very happy. I've fired about 500 rounds through it without one incident. That S&W Bodyguard could have cost my life if I had needed it.

I'm not knocking S&W ... but that Bodyguard .380 is a piece of junk ...at least mine was ... and others and I saw on You Tube.

Thanks for letting me vent a little!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doubletap2

Parrothead, If you'll re-read my post I'm praising the Sig P238 so the post is not totally negative. I'm also expressing my personal experience with the S&W BG. Furthemore, 7 post or 405 post what does that matter?? I'm a busy man. I am feedback like it or not, understand that!

JohnnyFox , thanks for the reply .. glad yours has worked well for you. If S&W had fixed it I'd still have it.

Now i hope you told the shop you traded it in to about the issues with it. If not you may have just traded your life for someone elses. If you didn't tell them you probably put someone else's life in danger now. Considering the majority of the users of the bodyguard are probably going to be women, who don't shoot as often as men, they will likely never know there is an issue until it is too late.

If you didn't let the shop know it has issues then shame on you, both as a person and a member of the gun community. I would be very surprized if you did knowing you were trying to get the most out of it. Hopefully it doesn't cost the life of someone or if it does maybe it will be someone you care about.

Also, I wonder if there are any legal liabilities on your part for knowing it has issues and not disclosing them. Afterall S&W already has a record of you knowing it has issues.

Dolomite

Guest Doubletap2

To answer your shame on me post .... you bet your butt I told them .. the one that bought it from me... and the dealer that sold it to me..dont try and put me into some kind of thug class. Its now the responsibility of the licensed gun dealer and their gun smiths to make sure the issues are corrected. And BTW they are are very upstanding dealer! I only got a fraction of what I paid for it because of it's condition. Satisfied?

Guest Doubletap2

Good grief....some sharp folks responding here so far , quick to judge your character and critic your post and acutually make me feel like I'm responsible for the issues first discussed. Anyone else want to take a swing??

Guest dubaholic2

i know they had a problem with the first batch of bodyguards they put out, but i thought they had them all corrected. i know we have sold a ton of them at work and have yet to have one come back. hate that you got a bad one.

Never blamed you for the issues with the pistol.

I said what I said because cost was a consideration initially when buying the S&W, as opposed to the Equinox in the first place, so cost was probably an issue when you wanted to trade it in as well. Or at least that is how it would seem. I guess I was wrong and I am glad you let the dealer know. Hopefully the dealer does the right thing as well.

I just get tired of seeing people trade their problems without letting people know. We have all been burned but it is one thing to trade off a range only gun but the S&W 380's are for one purpose, self defense. And if a self defense gun isn't 100% then it is a liability.

Glad you got a much better pistol. I have a friend that is purchasing one to replace her S&W revolver.

Dolomite

Guest Doubletap2

dubaholic, your correct. thanks for the positive response. Even the Sig P238 I traded for had issues at first with the mag hitting the ramp of the barrel but has since been corrected. I think my biggest issue was the fact I sent it back to S&W and it was not repaired, or replaced. That in itself makes them responsible for that first batch. Hope they made good on the others unlike mine.

Guest Doubletap2

Dolomite, just because I'm money cautious doesnt mean I can't afford it because I can. And unless your an attorney I dont think you have the right to say who is responsible or liable .... I can say that if you purchase a new weapon and its not working properly it would fall back on the maker which it did, and as warranty dictates. It is my option whether I resend to the factory a second time or trade it to a legitimate gun dealer. I think that most would agree that all used guns sold to legitimate gun dealers would be tested and fully functional before selling rather than putting their license to sell and buy on the line. Keep in mind, I didnt sell this to someone on the street. For future know this .... I dont sell used guns to anyone other than dealers regardless of their condition...furthermore I've never bought a new or used gun from anyone other than a licensed dealer as that may be a shock to some...that's how I roll. When you buy from a private party ....you take that risk of buying junk!

my BG380 has been flawless ....I have about 400 rounds through it

of about 6 different ammo brands and not one FTF...

Its my daily CCW most often and I hold it in high regard....

P238s also have issues,LCPs,Keltecs etc,,,,many FTFS are limp wristed

shooters,cheap ammp or other issues pointed towards the operator

My BG380 IMO is a small glock,eats everything and is accurate.........

I rolled the dice and won,this time.......I am not having so much luck with

another CCW gun I just bought right now and I am trying to make it work to be 100%,never one to give up

good luck

Edited by SonnyCrockett
Now i hope you told the shop you traded it in to about the issues with it. If not you may have just traded your life for someone elses. If you didn't tell them you probably put someone else's life in danger now. Considering the majority of the users of the bodyguard are probably going to be women, who don't shoot as often as men, they will likely never know there is an issue until it is too late.

If you didn't let the shop know it has issues then shame on you, both as a person and a member of the gun community. I would be very surprized if you did knowing you were trying to get the most out of it. Hopefully it doesn't cost the life of someone or if it does maybe it will be someone you care about.

Also, I wonder if there are any legal liabilities on your part for knowing it has issues and not disclosing them. Afterall S&W already has a record of you knowing it has issues.

Dolomite

I see your point, but it's the buyer's responsibility to know what they are buying. If that means shooting it first before you buy, then that's what you should do. And then it's prudent to run at least a couple hundred or so rounds through it before you ever think about trusting your life to it.

Besides, what LGS doesn't have their smith check each and every weapon out before they put it on the sales floor? To do otherwise would be irresponsible.

Honestly, given the indecently low prices dealers offer (buying from you) on new/like new guns and the number of dealers who are quite willing to sell you a flaky gun, often under a "no returns as is" policy for used guns, I would not have had a problem with him keeping mum about the issues --- thats part of the "game" that gun trading has become. I do not condone it, but I would not condemn it either, not after some of my experiences this past decade. Edit-- worded better

Edited by Jonnin

I own the XD9 SC and found it a bit large (thick) to carry all the time especially in summer months. So I bought a Ruger LC9 which is much thinner and lighter. Yesterday I took both to the range. The XD9 is more fun to shoot because of its extra weight and you gotta love the 18 rounds. But to be honest the Ruger LC9 was very accurate and handled nicely with no miss fires in several hundred rounds. It does have a bit more kick but that is to be expected. To keep it thin and light there are only 7+1 rounds but that is fine because I am not expecting to be at the OK corral. I find caring the LC9 much nicer and I can carry it all the time.

Guest Doubletap2

Dolomite

Amazing! how your insinuating / profiling so to speak that "women" dont shoot as often as men ....or perhaps not as good. And the BG was designed with the women in mind. That's funny. You have missed your calling. I know a lot of women shooters..some that shoot more than me. Have you been to a range lately?? And those of you that have posted commenting on your bodyguard hows it feel knowing you have a pistol that the majority of women use. Too funny!

Guest Doubletap2
I own the XD9 SC and found it a bit large (thick) to carry all the time especially in summer months. So I bought a Ruger LC9 which is much thinner and lighter. Yesterday I took both to the range. The XD9 is more fun to shoot because of its extra weight and you gotta love the 18 rounds. But to be honest the Ruger LC9 was very accurate and handled nicely with no miss fires in several hundred rounds. It does have a bit more kick but that is to be expected. To keep it thin and light there are only 7+1 rounds but that is fine because I am not expecting to be at the OK corral. I find caring the LC9 much nicer and I can carry it all the time.

I tried the Ruger LC9 as well ..I like it. A friend let try it at the range, and like my Sig P238 its a good carry all the time gun no doubt.

I think that most would agree that all used guns sold to legitimate gun dealers would be tested and fully functional before selling rather than putting their license to sell and buy on the line.

I have been in and around the gun business for 30 years and I must warn you that most gun dealers are just like used car dealers. They do not put a lot of effort or money out unless they have to. They clean and look over a gun and stick it right in the rack. There may be exceptions, I have not met them yet. I have bought many a lemon from individuals and shops. It has taught me a lot of what to look for and avoid, I also have become competent at fixing most minor problems. Auto pistols have definitely gotten better over the years thanks to CNC machining but they all can still be finicky....except Glock of course ;)

I fail to see how the BG is a woman's gun. The trigger is long and heavy, the gun is light and with a blowback design that makes the recoil stout for its small size, and the laser sight adds a level of confusion in a situation that requires a practiced shooter (which many women are but talking about the stereotypical babe here). Im not sure what would be best for a weak person (woman or not) but the blowback micro 380s wouldnt be it. Seems like a strange comment. Most woment I know have smallish 9mms, same as most men.

Amazing! how your insinuating / profiling so to speak that "women" dont shoot as often as men ....or perhaps not as good. And the BG was designed with the women in mind. That's funny. You have missed your calling. I know a lot of women shooters..some that shoot more than me. Have you been to a range lately?? And those of you that have posted commenting on your bodyguard hows it feel knowing you have a pistol that the majority of women use. Too funny!

Women do not shoot as much as men, fact.

Now some women do shoot more than some men but as a whole you see 10X the amount of men at a range than women. Now times are changing and we are seeing more women at the ranges but they are still a rarity. Case and point was this weekend at a range. There was a HCP class being put on and the majority of the attendees were women. When all the men noticed that there were more than three women at the range the men began wondering what was going on. If women were at the range as much as men no one would have noticed.

Never said the BG was designed with the women in mind. Just stating that a women is more likely to choose the BG over some of the other platforms. I know because I do help out women regularly with firearms. I have taught, although not lately, plenty to know that the majority of women are going to choose a smaller firearm, like the BG, over a larger gun. Not all women but the majority.

Never said women are not as good as men, not going to goat me into that one.

As far as being at the range lately, yes I do go a lot. When I am not shooting at home I find myself at local ranges. I generally hit a public range at least once a week and more often than not twice a week. I do shoot a lot and try to pull the trigger on something every single day even if it is only a few magazines.

I will say I have observed the same thing as glockster157 said. Most dealers wanting to invest the minimum amount of time and money into used guns. Makes sense business wise to minimize your costs. I have watched dealers take in used guns and sell them without so much as racking the slide.

The Sig 380 is a fine weapon. I recommended it to a female friend this week. Easy to rack and small which seems ot fit a lot of women's needs.

Dolomite

Guest Doubletap2

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Dolomite_supafly viewpost-right.png

Dolomite

(snip) I will say I have observed the same thing as glockster157 said. Most dealers wanting to invest the minimum amount of time and money into used guns. Makes sense business wise to minimize your costs. I have watched dealers take in used guns and sell them without so much as racking the slide.

Dolomite

Interesting, sounds like you would be a great witness in lets say a lawsuit involving my situation whereas, someone buys my faulty pistol from a well established firearms dealer, and, as a result injury or worst occurs..

Okay, to get everyone up to speed on this topic: #1) I buy S&W Bodyguard .380 from licensed dealer new in box. I take it to the range it misfires and performs poorly.# 2) I call S&W about the issue and send firearm back to S&W for repair, also have documentation. #3) S&W returns firearm repaired .... I take to range, same misfire issues. #4) I opt to take the BG upstairs from the range to the dealer (housed in the same building). I tell them about the issues I have with the firearm and with my bad experience with S&W. #5) The dealer with that knowledge agrees to trade said pistol for another pistol I had originally wanted in the first place. The dealer knowing my situation gives me a fraction of what I paid for the S&W BG toward a Sig Sauer P238 .380 .

Please tell us again Dolomite, where would the liability fall.

A) me the gun owner

B) Smith & Wesson

C) The licensed dealer in which trade was made

D) The future owner of pistol

E) The NRA

F) None of the above

Thanks for the valuable input :D

First, if I were the one to have bought the pistol and paid shipping to SW, then got it back with the same problem, I would have demanded a call tag from SW to make them pay shipping the second time and demanded a new pistol. If I were the dealer and had to face an irate customer under these circumstances I probably would have given you credit on your purchase and sold you the new pistol...I would collect the tax and tics. If the dealer would not do that, I would take my business else where. I won't get nailed by the manufacturer and the dealer. You let the dealer get you. You should name the dealer so we will know how they worked with you.