St Jude Memphis Half Marathon

Guest db99wj

I ran it in 2009 and ran it again this year. It was cool this year because my wife and I trained together, her 1st. In 2009 my time was 2:05, a very respectable time but I didnt feel I gave it my all and got caught up running with a high school friend that I "ran" into on the course. We ran together for awhile before I went on, she was running the full. This year I trained but not at a fast pace, mainly because of running with my wife, I did have a few fast runs though. My goal this year was to run it under 2 hours which was about a 9 minute pace. Pretty strong, I have run a 9 min pace several times, but only at 8 or 9 miles. I was a little worried.

So yesterday was the big day. My wife finished at 2:18, which was better than she thought that she was going to do by 12 minutes.

I, with a bad cold, achy skin in all, started strong. It was in the 40's not much wind, which is great weather to run in. Was having a good run, normal, no issues, got a cup of beer around mile 5 (win), and made it to the halfway point. I felt I came out a little fast but I should be able to finish close to the 2hr mark. However my body was not liking the hills anymore (not a hilly course overall, but had some long rolling ones). I couldn't push off very well anymore. But with the people, the families and patients at the St Jude Target House, and lots of cheers, I fought through the pain and doubt. Less than 3 miles to go. I kick all I had left and then some in. I finished with a time of 1:52:08, an 8:34 pace! This is a PR for me!!

This time I don't feel I had anymore to give, I gave it all!

Then I get to watch my wife cross the finish line of her first half!

Great weekend!

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on the PR! I have a coworker that ran the full down there and fought off a handful of injuries all year long training for it.

Mix in a little more speed work while prepping for your next one and I bet you take 5 - 10 mins off that time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and thanks for doing it for St. Jude. No one deserves it more than they do.

For those that aren't familiar with this race. This run takes you through the St. Jude campus. The street that we go down is lined, on both sides with people, but not just people, they are parents, family and friends of patients, and oh, patients. Yes St. Jude patients. You can't help getting choked up and shedding a few tears. Then you get to run by Target House which you find more patients and their families. They are the runners biggest fans, they are the runners heroes, they are our inspiration. We are just running for a few hours, they are running a race for their lives.

That is awesome! Congrats! My GF (SWMBO) started running half's this year and she really wants to run the St. Jude's next year. I have never been a runner, but have found out that I make a pretty darn good cheerleader for her!

Tell her to sign up early. This year it filled up before the end of July. Rumor has it next year they'll only sell half as many regular spots as they did this year, and they intend to make the other half "Hero" spots, meaning you have to agree to fund raise at least $500.00 of sponsorship when you sign up.