Who's the 1871 Colt guru on here?

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me

I need to research my 1873 model single action colt .44...Problem is I know little about these types of guns, as they have always been out of my price range...it's seriously old, pearl handle's and in perfect working order, serial numbers still intact...But I don't know much about it other then it was left to me...I didn't even know it existed in the family:)...go figure???Any HELP would be appreciated...Thx~

Edited by Don't-Tread-On-Me
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost do not alter anything.

DO NOT TRY TO REFINISH IT!!!!

Do not try to polish anything. Do not turn a screw on the gun or even cock it. Doing any of these things can adversely affect the value. Collectors love the patina and will pay top dollar for a gun that is unaltered vs one that has been refinished or restored. If you must do anything I would limit it to a light coat of oil put on and wiped off with a soft cotton rag. Just regular automotive oil, not some of the new cleaner/protectant type oils.

Next do not try to fire the gun. These guns were designed for blackpowder loads and modern smokeless powder loads can destroy the gun and your hands along with it.

If you could post pictures that would be great. Because it has pearl handles it sounds liek it might be an upscale version or have had the grips replaced. Either way leave the gun as it.

I am assuming the caliber is 44-40. That designation means a 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of blackpowder which is pretty sedate by todays standards.

These guns should not have a blue color but a brown color. Some of the higher grade guns might be blued but the majority of guns from that time period have been rust blued from the factory. That results in a brownish color that most people assume is bad but that is how the guns were finished back then.

I would contact Colt and request a history. They have records that can show how the gun left the factory, where it was sent to and when it was made. Depending on caliber and configuration some guns can be quite valuable. With documentation you can prove how the gun left the factory. These have been around so long that barrels get swapped, cylinders changed and finish goes away.

Get it appraised, get it appraised, get it appraised and in case you missed it the first few times, get it appraised.

And when you do get it appraised do not take it to a show and ask dealers. They are going to price it as if they want to buy it and some probably will try. After you get it appraised

This should give you a good idea of value.

Just make sure you do not alter the gun. I was at a show and a gentelman had a 1873 Colt. It was shiny to a point it looked chrome. It turned out he polished the gun up to make it easier to sell. Doing that changed his $2,000+ collectible gun into a $500 shooter. The dealer was obviously shaken but more so was the owner as he was trying to sell the gun and what he did cost him $1,500.

Dolomite

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me
That looks like an 1873 SA Army.

It looks way to nice to be vintage.

I assure you as I breath, it IS VINTAGE COLT and in FIRABLE condition...

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me
First and foremost do not alter anything.

DO NOT TRY TO REFINISH IT!!!!

Do not try to polish anything. Do not turn a screw on the gun or even cock it. Doing any of these things can adversely affect the value. Collectors love the patina and will pay top dollar for a gun that is unaltered vs one that has been refinished or restored. If you must do anything I would limit it to a light coat of oil put on and wiped off with a soft cotton rag. Just regular automotive oil, not some of the new cleaner/protectant type oils.

Next do not try to fire the gun. These guns were designed for blackpowder loads and modern smokeless powder loads can destroy the gun and your hands along with it.

If you could post pictures that would be great. Because it has pearl handles it sounds liek it might be an upscale version or have had the grips replaced. Either way leave the gun as it.

I am assuming the caliber is 44-40. That designation means a 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of blackpowder which is pretty sedate by todays standards.

These guns should not have a blue color but a brown color. Some of the higher grade guns might be blued but the majority of guns from that time period have been rust blued from the factory. That results in a brownish color that most people assume is bad but that is how the guns were finished back then.

I would contact Colt and request a history. They have records that can show how the gun left the factory, where it was sent to and when it was made. Depending on caliber and configuration some guns can be quite valuable. With documentation you can prove how the gun left the factory. These have been around so long that barrels get swapped, cylinders changed and finish goes away.

Get it appraised, get it appraised, get it appraised and in case you missed it the first few times, get it appraised.

And when you do get it appraised do not take it to a show and ask dealers. They are going to price it as if they want to buy it and some probably will try. After you get it appraised

This should give you a good idea of value.

Just make sure you do not alter the gun. I was at a show and a gentelman had a 1873 Colt. It was shiny to a point it looked chrome. It turned out he polished the gun up to make it easier to sell. Doing that changed his $2,000+ collectible gun into a $500 shooter. The dealer was obviously shaken but more so was the owner as he was trying to sell the gun and what he did cost him $1,500.

Dolomite

Glad I didn't find ammo for it...kinda wanted to work on my quick draw...<joking>

Dolomite your fine man, thank you for the insight...Don't wanna blow up my heirloom or my hands...

That is indeed a model O, or 1873 Colt; not an 1871. Are there the letters "SA" in the serial number? Are they at the beginning, end, or is there an "S" at the beginning, and an "A" at the end?

Looks like a nice, honest piece from the pics. The value will be in the four digits anyway; maybe five. Assuming it doesn't have letters, the serial number dates to 1880, which is a black powder frame I do believe.

Until you have it looked at by a knowlegeable gunsmith, DO NOT SHOOT MODERN AMMUNITION IN IT!!! I'd advise against it afterward as well.

Edited by gregintenn
Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me
It's quite possible that it's a Single Action Army and if I'm looking at the chart at this link correctly, it was manufactured in 1880.

You can take advantage of Colt's Archive Services here.

Is the serial number 61xxx or 61xxxSA?

If it has the SA, it's a Single Action Army built in 1971 or 1972.

It has NO SA before or after the serial #

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me
Being a Colt is believable. Being from the 1800's is not. That gun is not vintage 19th century.

It is not an 1871, and it is recently manufactured. IMHO well less than 100 years old.

Slightly older then a 100 years old it would seem eh?... :taunt:j/k thx for the input...

I'm super stoked tonight!:mad:

Guest oldslowchevy

1st gen colts has a set screw on the bottom to hold the cylinder pin in place. this is only on first gens, 2nd and 3rd gen are differnt. they have a spung pin you would push to release the pin to remove the cylinder.

just looked at the pics, yes yours is a 1st gen (lucky bastard) also i belive from things i have read your is either a civlian or officers model due to the 5" barrel.

enlisted got 7.5" barrels officers couls have had either the 7.5 or 5" due to there fights would have been in a closer range as apposed to the reguarler enlisted. also ranchers and sheriffs of the day could of had either.

i prefer the look of the 5" models better (it just looks better in my minds eye.) i have been looking for one off and on for years and know my funds will never be there. soooooo i will just shoot and enjoy my uberti. :)

Edited by oldslowchevy