Replacing Ruger 10/22 sights

Guest lostpass

Guest lostpass

When I was a bad golfer, I bought new clubs. When I was a bad surfer, I bought a new board. When I was a bad runner, I said "screw it" and quit jogging. Cause I'm lazy. So now I'm a bad shot but I think I want to switch on of the 10/22's I have to tech sights. Like these. Will it make me a more competent shot? Nope. Will it cure my bad habits? Nope. Will it make me feel better because I am trying throw a mechanical solution at a personal failing? Yep.

What I am wondering if this is something I can do myself. The rear sights are easy but the front sights, from what I can tell, require a brass punch and some patience. I an get the punch and probably the patience but I really don't want to mess a rifle up. Is this a do it yourself thing or a gunsmith thing?

Thanks in advance rifle experts.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lostpass,

This is something you can do yourself. Get some blue loctite for the rear screws and a brass punch to hammer out the old front sights and hammer in the new ones. I've done it with these sights before.

Rear sights. Put a little loctite on the screw threads, not in the holes. If you put it in the holes it can drip into the receiver and onto the bolt. No big deal but can be a slight cleanup irritant.

Front sight. It may be just as easy to leave the barrelled action in the stock and lay the stock on the carpeted floor. Put a board under the barrel where the sight is that offers some support for your pounding but of course make sure the sight and dovetail clear the board. Knock the sights out from left to right and back in right to left. Left side is the ldft side of the rifle if you were shouldering to shoot it. If you have someone around it may help if they hold the rifle still while you pound the sight out. Brass marring can be eliminated with a graphite pencil.

Guest USMC 2013

Or you can just add a small fixed power 4x scope. I did and never doubted the decision. I demand a lot of my guns and will not hesitate to trade/sell one I can't tweak to shoot to my standards. I still have the 10/22 that I scoped and figure I will for a long time. Semper Fi,

Joe

I read some where that the front site should be removed by tapping on the left side and put back in by tapping on the right. I don't know if there is any validity in that, and to be honest, I kind of doubt it. Either way, that is what I did while changing them on my 10/22, and it went smoothly.

This is what I put on mine, and I have been very happy with them. I did have a scope on it, but because of where I was shooting and what I was using it for, I got bored with that and wanted to go back to irons.

WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Set Ruger 10/22 Front Sight 570M 1/16 Gold Bead Aluminum Black