Remington SPR453 Autoloader all around shotgun ?

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

How does the Remington SPR453 Autoloader sound for an all around shot gun for a first shotgun ?

I am wanting to turkey and bird hunt and try out Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays, but since Ive never owned a shotgun, I am wanting to buy one gun that I can try everything with then decide what I may stick with.

Some info about the gun:

Supplied with four extended screw-in SPR choke tubes – improved cylinder, modified, full and super-full turkey

2 3/4" loads to heavy 3 1/2" magnums

Manually tunable gas system

4+1 shell capacity

Thanks,

J

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own one with a 26" barrel. While I have not shot skeet or trap with it, I have hunted duck, goose, pheasant and turkey with it. Turkey chokes are available for this shotty. Look for the TruChoke or Baikal chokes. Carlson makes a good one for it. I generally leave the Modified choke in except when turkey hunting. The Remington page says it comes with a SF Turkey choke. Mine didn't. Maybe they shuffled the choke load-out, or maybe I didn't realize that their SF was a turkey choke tube. Oh well... May have to get the calipers out and measure the IDs.

Here's a video of a Canuck shooting pretty much the same shotty before the re-label. She takes the abuse well! Dig the AK-style of cleaning. Heck, now that I know this, I'll start cleaning all my Russian guns this way! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GbVKwDfNU[/ame]

With an IC choke, it will put a rifled slug where you want it. It handles very well and swings nicely. I don't think you'll be disappointed in basically an 11-87 Super Mag for about 1/3 the price.

Edited by C-ya
Guest killemducks

Pretty good demonstration. I kept waiting for him to step in the ice hole......

I grew up shooting Browning. Never liked Remington. BUT they are good guns for the money and have killed lots of game. Never heard anything bad about the Baikal either. Not saying i won't own one or both of these guns in the future, just sayin'.

Is a beretta out of your price range? If this gun is for personal defense, spend money to get ultimate in reliability. Or get a pump. My opinion.

• 3 years later...

There's an article on the internet where they shot 50,000 shells through one single Baikal MP 153 in five days! They used teams shooting the same gun, and even had to shoot some at night to average the 10,000 rounds per day. There's pics of all of the shell boxes and hulls. They did this in Russia. I believe the article stated they only had three jams, or fail to cycle out of all the 50,000 rounds! How's that for "reliability"? Think the other "B" guns will hold up to that rigorous punishment? Sorry, I don't have the link at hand. Seems it was on U-tube.