Dogs and Hunting

My idea of success in hunting doesn't have to mean a kill. I love the outdoors and nature, even if I dont see anything. There have been several times though that my hunts have been ruined by dogs running around on my property. There was one instance where I heard these dogs barking for over an hour until I gave up. Not as soon as I stepped foot back on the greenfield, ole Mr. Bruiser popped out (thick 8 pt) right in front of me. Dang, the dogs actually helped that time... If its coyotes, the answer is obvious, but if its dogs, do you shoot them? What if they have a collar?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Best advice....RESEARCH "Unlawful Killing of a Domestic Animal". Then do the "RIGHT" thing. Nuff said..... Our Game Wardens and Deputies are so bussy handling "Dog Shooting" complaints, there is little time left for anything else.

Try to find out who the owners are and advise them of your local leash laws and let them know you WILL file "Dog at Large" charges aginst them should their dogs appear on your property again. A nice little digital camera picture of the dog goes a long way! Plus they are cheaper than a Lawyer....

Edited by wd-40

I'm a confessed dog lover and i simply cannot bring myself to shoot one unless he is actually threatning me (...and that after ive exhaused all my considerable talents to calm him down....). A dog is simply too noble to execute for other than serious (...and threatning....) reasons. I full well understand that there are many "delinquent dog owners", but that aint the dog's fault. After all, he is just a dog. My advice, give 'em a break.

leroy

Guest GunTroll

:koolaid: some one will undoubtable mention the 'SSS' rule. Guess that person is me this time. Doesn't mean I adhere to it. I may come off like a jerk here but dogs have a special spot in my heart and I have let many walk. A certain spot I pred hunt, I am instructed to kill everything that gets into my scope that is not cattle. On that land I am protected under the landowners operation of raising cattle. That being said I have let a dogs live on that land.

I have let a few rifles bark in the direction of dogs just to feel like I am teaching the dog(s) a lesson.

Its a decision you'll have to make and own.

It would take a lot for me to shoot a dog in the woods. I have shot stray dogs chasing our livestock when I was a kid. I have shot stray dogs that growled at us in our yard. I haven't ever thought about shooting a dog in the woods for messing up a hunt. I have had dogs ruin a couple turkey hunts and give them a 80 yard pepper to keep them gone, but I wouldn't want to kill them.

I guess hunting is less important to me, cause I would never impose the final punishment on someones hunting dog or family pet for the sake of better hunting. Feral dogs are another story, but without knowing for sure, the dog would get the benefit of the doubt.

Just something to think about.....if you ever got caught shooting one of "my" dogs....your life would be a living hell......

I think this would be the attitude of any dog owner, myself included! Also you have to consider, sure some people let their dogs run free, but what if that dog got out by accident?

I would NEVER shoot a dog for ruining a hunt. I don't take life that seriously.

That's what I'm saying. I have some good beagles, kept in a kennel, inside a chain link fenced yard, and every effort is make to keep those dogs inside their kennels. To include electric fence wire. I have no issues. I did however have one of my dogs get loose a couple years ago. He went into the woods behind my house (no hunting allowed there). I went looking for him when I heard a shot come out of a holler. I found the dog about 30 minutes later bloodied and dazed. He had a gunshot wound going into his back and exiting out his belly. I never found the person that did it, but vet bills were very expensive. I feel for the piece of #%$@ if I ever find out who did it.

Us dog owners must do everything within our powers tp contain/control our four legged friends. Once in awhile, one of them will get the slip on us.

That dog that you want to shoot in the woods, very well may have a "owner" within sight of him. Be very careful about the decisions you make. And don't think for one minute that a "hunting dog" has to be a beagle. Almost every breed of dog is being used for one type of hunting or another.

Please feel free to add to this list:

Beagle's, Bassetts, and mixed hounds are used for small game hunting.

Larger hounds; coons, fox, pigs, bears.

Spaniels and Labs; Flushing and retrieving.

Fiest and Terriers; Squirrel hunting and game retrieval.

Pittbulls; pig

Just because a dog isn't wearing a collar doesn't mean doodley squat! My dogs lose at least one collar a day while I'm out rabbit hunting. I run them a little loose on my dogs as a safety precaution.

Just please don't assume that shooting a dog in the woods is OK.......IT IS NOT.

Guest GunTroll

I understand dogs go to and fro as they please at no fault of their own most of the times. And sometimes they do not. A dog owner has to deal with what happens to their dog 100% of the time, when their dog is not under complete control 100% of the time. Its sounds cold and callous but its the truth. It can get killed in the woods/field just as it can on the road with the end result being a dead dog and a sad/mad owner.

Happy hunting to all you compassionate and uncompassionate alike :whistle: !

Best keep them away from cattle around my parts. Means bastards around here.

A dog "chasing cattle" is one thing. Fido walking or running through the woods is another.

This happened in Montgomery county a couple years ago; an elderly man in woodlawn left his house to take a walk on his property and to "hunt a deer". He went and set down on the bank of a creek that runs through his property. He had on orange as he had given people permission to hunt his farm down off of York landing Rd. While he was sitting on his property "hunting", his beloved Collie (he had her for 14 years) got out of the house and went looking for him. The dog was on his property, looking for him, when she was shot and injured by another hunter. Needless to say, he had to have the collie "put down". Devasted him! All he could do at the vet clinic (this is how I know this) was cry, and ask why...why would someone want to shoot her? He was devasted!!!

His property of 300 acres is now totally OFF LIMITS to anyone and everyone!

Think about the aftermath of your dog killing. All for what? A lousy deer? At what expense, and to whom?

Nuff' said.....

WD you bring up very good points. I've only had to shoot a dog once after a neighbor ran over his own dog on accident to put it out of its misery. I did not enjoy that chore and hope I never have to do it again. Until dogs ruining my hunt became a habitual problem I wouldn't even consider shooting a dog. But hypothetically What does one do when you seem to always have dogs messing up your hunt? You've tried to talk to the owners, etc, and exhausted all other resources. I say don't hunt there if that is an option, but what if it is the only place you have to hunt? I have to say though I've had as many dogs run deer to me as I've had run them away from me. So maybe it's best to just live and let live. And no, I wasn't aware that the deer were being chased by dogs until I had shot it.

Edited by 10-Ring

Looking at it your way, what choice is there? Don't come on a public forum and seek forgiveness, permission or "poll" results on the legal or moral issue of dog killing. Some folks act like they take thorough satisfaction with killing a man's dog.

That's why I guess my 247 acres is "off limits" and I take very few people hunting with me.

There are "kill shelters" all over the place. If you want to see Fido doing the "dying cockroach"...go volunteer there and "kill for thrill" all you want.

On a professional note....try to find the owners address...file a complaint with the owner (if you can find them). File a complaint with the TWRA and/or county Sherriff. CYA!!! Then do what's right.....

Edited by wd-40
Guest GunTroll
A dog "chasing cattle" is one thing. Fido walking or running through the woods is another.

This happened in Montgomery county a couple years ago; an elderly man in woodlawn left his house to take a walk on his property and to "hunt a deer". He went and set down on the bank of a creek that runs through his property. He had on orange as he had given people permission to hunt his farm down off of York landing Rd. While he was sitting on his property "hunting", his beloved Collie (he had her for 14 years) got out of the house and went looking for him. The dog was on his property, looking for him, when she was shot and injured by another hunter. Needless to say, he had to have the collie "put down". Devasted him! All he could do at the vet clinic (this is how I know this) was cry, and ask why...why would someone want to shoot her? He was devasted!!!

His property of 300 acres is now totally OFF LIMITS to anyone and everyone!

Think about the aftermath of your dog killing. All for what? A lousy deer? At what expense, and to whom?

Nuff' said.....

Looking at it your way, what choice is there? Don't come on a public forum and seek forgiveness, permission or "poll" results on the legal or moral issue of dog killing. Some folks act like they take thorough satisfaction with killing a man's dog.

That's why I guess my 247 acres is "off limits" and I take very people hunting with me.

There are "kill shelters" all over the place. If you want to see Fido doing the "dying cockroach"...go volunteer there and "kill for thrill" all you want.

On a professional note....try to find the owners address...file a complaint with the owner (if you can find them). File a complaint with the TWRA and/or county Sherriff. CYA!!! Then do what's right.....

:)

Just something to think about.....if you ever got caught shooting one of "my" dogs....your life would be a living hell......

WD brings up a great point here. Some folks see their dog (...hunting or pet; especially bird, fox, retrievers, and coon hunting buddies....) as extremely valuable and scarce resources and/or genuine non talkin members of the family. Killin one without serious justification could result in another killin. I well remember as a boy seein folks feud over hunting dogs. That's been a long time ago, but some things just dont change.

leroy

Good points from all of you. I haven't shot any dogs but have a few of my friends say they wouldn't hesitate. I wasn't sure what most people do in a situation like that. I have heard a lot of stories of retaliation from people shooting dogs though they really would turn you against the idea of dispatching them.