Good dog trainer

willis68

Can any one here recommend a good Dog Trainer or Training school? Our German Sheppard is a fantastic dog, he has just been getting out of hand with our miniature donkeys, as he use to only chase and play with them, he has started to bite them I need to get this stopped or I will have to get rid of him.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you find a good one. My friend across the street has one and he sent their German Shepard off for training and he personally worked with the trainer. They are working dogs and high energy as you well know and need to be trained by someone experienced in German Shepard's, from what he was telling me. Their dog is wonderful. Our kids come up to her and she plays with them, but not aggressive. My N'bor has a baby that is just started walking and that dog acts like the kid is hers. I really have grown fond of that breed after seeing her and how she is, but, again from what my friend was telling me, they have to have training in order to direct their behavior so that they are not aggressive.

I'm sure you realize this, but just wanted to share my limited experience with them. Good luck on finding a trainer.

We used Nikki Ivey with our shepherd. She's out in Mt. Juliet. Experienced with all breeds with a focus on working breeds like Rotti and GSD. She runs a SAR outfit called T.E.R.R.A. Not cheap, but very experienced and delivers the results needed. Dogspeak101 dot com. Call her and she'll tailor a regimen specific to your needs to make effective use of time and money.

We used Nikki Ivey with our shepherd. She's out in Mt. Juliet. Experienced with all breeds with a focus on working breeds like Rotti and GSD. She runs a SAR outfit called T.E.R.R.A. Not cheap, but very experienced and delivers the results needed. Dogspeak101 dot com. Call her and she'll tailor a regimen specific to your needs to make effective use of time and money.

Thank you for this, we wanted someone close to home, I will definately call them

Can any one here recommend a good Dog Trainer or Training school? Our German Sheppard is a fantastic dog, he has just been getting out of hand with our miniature donkeys, as he use to only chase and play with them, he has started to bite them I need to get this stopped or I will have to get rid of him.

The absolute best dog trainer for your dog is yourself. All you really need to do is associate any action of messing with the Donkey's with something worse for him. If you really want a dog trainer, you'll probably have to hire someone to come out to your place to observe the habit and figure out the best way to curb it.

I'm not near you but I know Petsafe here in Knoxville has a trainer on staff that's AMAZING. I bumped into him and just had a conversation with this guy and from this conversation, I trained my puppy and she was amazing.

We had problems with our boxer doing stuff he wasn't supposed to. We bought an electronic dog collar and used it. It didn't take long for him to figure out what was good and what was bad. Another bonus is the dog doesn't see "YOU" as the person correcting their behavior.

Dolomite

This a good idea, like Dolomite said he'll get the idea pretty quick we have the invsible fence ( same idea) and it works great half the tme the batteries are dead but they don't stray and I learned not to hold a collar while walking the edge of the yard I drop it pretty quick.

This a good idea, like Dolomite said he'll get the idea pretty quick we have the invsible fence ( same idea) and it works great half the tme the batteries are dead but they don't stray and I learned not to hold a collar while walking the edge of the yard I drop it pretty quick.

My bluetick hound knows when the battery in his collar is dead and takes advantage of it!

My bluetick hound knows when the battery in his collar is dead and takes advantage of it!

Mine is not used for fencing.

It is used for correction so it is used sparingly. There are some dogs, like yours, that can exploit the weakness of the system. Because mine is rarely used any more he has no clue when the battery is good or bad.

Dolomite

Mine is not used for fencing.

It is used for correction so it is used sparingly. There are some dogs, like yours, that can exploit the weakness of the system. Because mine is rarely used any more he has no clue when the battery is good or bad.

Dolomite

Yes same principle.

Mine (great danes) don't want to find out if the battery is dead or not. Its not worth it to them. I don't hear so well so I do the battery check by hand and I certainly don't enjoy it but if its good enough for them I guess its OK for me.

You should've told me sooner! Apparently I'm slow as I've had to re-learn that a time or two. :(