Colt Is Coming South!

Guest gwu77

Having lived in the heart of America's firearms industry & firearms history - the Connecticut River Valley - for a few years, it is definitely quite ironic that the bulk of the iconic firearm/firearm parts/firearm accessory manufacturers are located in CT and MA. I could leave my place and be at Marlin, Mossberg, Ruger, Colt, Lyman, C-Products, Stag, PTR, CMT, Mec-Gar and numerous other manufacturers in literally a matter of minutes. Winchester's former facility where so much history had been made was only right down the road. As for why they don't move... it's hard and it's expensive. Plus, many of their employees have been with them a long time and wouldn't relocate, so there's the human aspect to it as well. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, the legislators have tried to introduce laws that (so far) have been thwarted by the significant efforts of the shooting public, in-state pro-gun organizations (not the NRA), and the manufacturers listed above. If some of them ever made it into the books, such as micro-stamping, it would cause an exodus, and for the time being, the legislators seem to get that.

It's pretty sad how the area that saw the birth of this nation is the same area that's trying to kill it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a pretty accurate opinion, IMHO.

16,000 sq. ft. is a pretty small manufacturihg plant. Maybe just the start of a phase out from CT.

I'd bet it's only an office to funnel the money through. My previous employer did that. Manufacturing in TN but all the money went through a small office in SC because the taxes are much lower there.

5 posts, benefactor and 57 years old; Crushed under the weight of the Hammer of Judgement. I know a few little guys who are less than 57 months old that act more mature than that.

I haven't been here too long and may not have many friends but maybe one of ya care enough to put one 'tween my eyes if I ever act like that for no reason.

Just Crazy.

• Admin Team
As to the other matter? 16,000 sq ft is pathetic for a name like Colt. There are homes on Concord AVE with more space.

My first thought was that Colt may be establishing a foothold with more to come. I'm sure there isn't a big manufacturer out there that hasn't paid attention to Boeing's lynching by the administration and the unions over the last several months. T

hough as I think about it, with modern CNC machining centers, you really don't need as much space. I've got a friend who does as much today with only 4 machines as he did with 15 just a 3 years ago. Plus, it could be anything - corporate office, R&D, whatever...

I'm all for welcoming them down South. Maybe they'll start a trend.

hough as I think about it, with modern CNC machining centers, you really don't need as much space. I've got a friend who does as much today with only 4 machines as he did with 15 just a 3 years ago. Plus, it could be anything - corporate office, R&D, whatever...

That's ABSOLUTELY true. Multiple pallet changers, tombstone fixtures holding SEVERAL parts at once, five axis machine with programmable rotary tables.....the speeds that the machine does tool changes and move in rapid traverse are amazing. It's come a long way from the old days.

• Admin Team
That's ABSOLUTELY true. Multiple pallet changers, tombstone fixtures holding SEVERAL parts at once, five axis machine with programmable rotary tables.....the speeds that the machine does tool changes and move in rapid traverse are amazing. It's come a long way from the old days.

And, with "lights out machining", those same machines are running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and don't all need an operator. It is truly amazing, and really interesting at the same time.

The more I really look at everything that is going on, I'm convinced that the economy that comes out of this depression isn't going to look anything like the economy that went in. Most of the jobs that we've lost, especially in manufacturing simply aren't coming back. From there, you can bemoan this, and a lot of people certainly are. But, from my perspective, it's kind of exciting at the same time. I look at the technology, tools and machinery that we have today, and the breadth of your imagination is truly the limit. We're going to suffer as we try to bring back the past as opposed to finding new ways to move forward. The next few years are likely going to be tougher than the last few. But, through all that I don't know that we've ever found ourselves in a time more ripe for innovation.

Wow. All this in next to no time and all over a small facility for Colt in FL. Having Colt go to FL at all and create job's is a big deal and a move in the right direction. It would please me to no end to see Colt, S&W and other's come to the S.E. US and set up casting and CNC facilities.

My posts may be filled with drama, but they are not negative. And no, that's not good enough for me. You owe me an apology . I am leaving this forum forever now, but you are a bad tempered person seeking attention. Well, you got it.

CYA! Don't let the screen door hit you in the butt on the way out! No call for stuff like that here. If anyone owes an apology it's you, and it's to all of us in addition to rgaper!

Any expansion of a company in today’s economy is a plus no matter how small it may be. Locating down this way is a plus IMO.

As far as the OP, WOW...

I know I have been knocked down about views and other things here as well as having been supported, either way I have always taken it is a learning and growing experience, different opinions are important to see and understand, whether or not they agree with your own opinions or ideas. Throwing a hissy fit has never benefited anyone.

And, with "lights out machining", those same machines are running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and don't all need an operator. It is truly amazing, and really interesting at the same time.

The more I really look at everything that is going on, I'm convinced that the economy that comes out of this depression isn't going to look anything like the economy that went in. Most of the jobs that we've lost, especially in manufacturing simply aren't coming back. From there, you can bemoan this, and a lot of people certainly are. But, from my perspective, it's kind of exciting at the same time. I look at the technology, tools and machinery that we have today, and the breadth of your imagination is truly the limit. We're going to suffer as we try to bring back the past as opposed to finding new ways to move forward. The next few years are likely going to be tougher than the last few. But, through all that I don't know that we've ever found ourselves in a time more ripe for innovation.

Yep, and with robotic part changers, you pay a bottom of the barrel flunkie to load raw forgeings. Not having an operator at the machining center frees up payroll funds to employ more skill assemblers and in the end, you get a better product. I know the factory workers of this country whine about automation taking jobs, but shoot man! When you get a half million dollar machine to do the same job as a meatdroid, only it never takes breaks except for maintenance, never takes a sick day, holiday, vacation and works around the clock, never complains, never makes a mistake, and NEVER goes on strike THAT's just good business.

Right, bring them all down here. Makes a second attempt at division along the Mason-Dixon line even more appealing as well as prosperous.

As someone who would love to see more manufacturing in the South, my only thing I keep the labor unions out. They are outdated and drive the price of labor so high manufacturers go overseas.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest dubaholic2

first off, glad the 57 year old baby got banned. second, i love it that colt is moving south also. i would love to see all the firearms manufacturers move down here! i just wish colt would start making guns like the pre series 70 stuff again... those were quality guns.

Wow... this thread turned out to be way crazier than expected.

Having lived in the heart of America's firearms industry & firearms history - the Connecticut River Valley - for a few years, it is definitely quite ironic that the bulk of the iconic firearm/firearm parts/firearm accessory manufacturers are located in CT and MA. I could leave my place and be at Marlin, Mossberg, Ruger, Colt, Lyman, C-Products, Stag, PTR, CMT, Mec-Gar and numerous other manufacturers in literally a matter of minutes. Winchester's former facility where so much history had been made was only right down the road. As for why they don't move... it's hard and it's expensive. Plus, many of their employees have been with them a long time and wouldn't relocate, so there's the human aspect to it as well. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, the legislators have tried to introduce laws that (so far) have been thwarted by the significant efforts of the shooting public, in-state pro-gun organizations (not the NRA), and the manufacturers listed above. If some of them ever made it into the books, such as micro-stamping, it would cause an exodus, and for the time being, the legislators seem to get that.

I'm sure you hit the nail on the head when you said "many of their employees have been with them a long time and wouldn't relocate". Quality would suffer if a company like this were to move everything at once. Starting small is a smart move on 2 fronts. Experienced employees can temporarily work at the Florida facility to provide training and get things up to speed there. It also lets Colt go to CT lawmakers and say "don't push us, we have other options and we won't hesitate to blow this pop stand."

I used to live down the street (literally) from Harrington-Richardson in MA in the early 70's and, even back then, wondered why they stayed in New England. I kept expecting to see them, Colt, S&W and others migrate south. At the time I didn't realize how important an experienced workforce was to those companies. Modern mfg techniques, mentioned by other posters, will continue to make experience less and less important.

Someone should inform Smith and Wesson that Cookeville is working on a new industrial park and I'm sure there's room for them to get in. :koolaid:

Another move South that is happening is the Winchester Center-fire Plant in Oxford MS. My firm is building the facility, and it is a pretty big deal, in short order, all CF Winchester ammo will be produced in that facility.

If our illustrious Governor would get his thumbs out and put together the right team (and get the Legislature to amend our corporate tax codes) we could offer significant incentives to firearms manufacturers to lure them south.

I'm always glad to see jobs come to the area. However, manufactures are coming south because they know we southerners will work longer hours for less pay, do as we're told and be happy to do so with no interference from an outside source(unions). Sounds very familiar to conditions in Central/South America and most of Asia. Everyone loves to talk about the good old days, well in the "good old days" a man could get out of school or the military get a good paying job, buy a house and raise a family and take the occasional vacation with his family. All this with the wife staying home raising the kids.

If our illustrious Governor would get his thumbs out and put together the right team (and get the Legislature to amend our corporate tax codes) we could offer significant incentives to firearms manufacturers to lure them south.
One of the unfortunate side effects of having no state income taxes is that the state has to raise the money from other places such as high sales taxes, corporate taxes, and other fees. I'm an engineer registered in 10 states; my annualized TN renewal costs (bi-annual renewal fee plus an annual "professional privilege tax") are higher than all the other states combined. In order to lower the corporate taxes they'd have to raise something else to make up for it.
Guest The Highlander
My posts may be filled with drama, but they are not negative. And no, that's not good enough for me. You owe me an apology . I am leaving this forum forever now, but you are a bad tempered person seeking attention. Well, you got it.

Bye.