Wednesday, April 2nd - Do you know where your Speaker Is

Here is a list of all of the gun bills to be heard by the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday. Anyone want to take bets as to which Committee Mr. Speaker decides to sit in on

Pro-Gun Bills Headed to Tennessee House Committee! Friday, March 28, 2008 Several NRA-backed bills will be heard Wednesday, April 2 in the House Judiciary Criminal Practice and Procedure Sub-Committee. This is the final meeting for the sub-committee during the 2008 session, so please contact the legislators listed below today in support of the following bills:

· House Bill 702, sponsored by State Representative Joe McCord (R-08), allows a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm into restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. This important Right-to-Carry reform measure passed the State Senate by a vote of 24 to 6 in January.

· House Bill 3137, sponsored by State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65) and State Representative Mike Bell (R-23), which restricts public access to the records of concealed Right-to-Carry permit holders and prohibits their publication; and

· House Bill 3683, sponsored by State Representative Matthew Hill (R-07), would reduce the Right-to-Carry permit application fee from $115 to $100. The current fee is one of the most expensive in the country and is aiding the Tennessee Department of Safety’s five million dollar surplus.

· House Bill 3153, sponsored by State Representative Jim Cobb (R-31), would establish by rule how the state is to implement the federal “Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004,” relative to the carrying of firearms by qualified and retired law enforcement officers.

Please continue contacting members of the House Judiciary Sub-Committee in support of HB702, HB3137, HB3683 and HB3153.

State Representative Janis Sontany (D-53), Chair

(615) 741-6861

rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us

State Representative Henry Fincher (D-42)

(615) 741-1875

rep.henry.fincher@legislature.state.tn.us

State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65)

(615) 741-1864

rep.eddie.bass@legislature.state.tn.us

State Representative Rob Briley (D-52)

(615) 741-2184

rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us

State Representative Judd Matheny (R-47)

(615) 741-7448

rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us

State Representative Eric Watson (R-22)

(615) 741-7799

eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us

Anyone feel like doing some slow driving around Nashville to keep the speaker from getting to work?
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

The "Ammunition Accountability Act" is also on the calendar for Wednesday. I don't know about you all, but nothing makes me happier than a law that would make any pistol ammo I now own illegal on the first day of 2009.

EDIT: oops, "tomorrow" would be Tuesday... thanks Fallguy. All these damn days just run together for me. :D

Edited by GUTTERbOY
The "Ammunition Accountability Act" is also on the calendar for tomorrow. I don't know about you all, but nothing makes me happier than a law that would make any pistol ammo I now own illegal on the first day of 2009.

Not tomorrow (04/01) but Wednesday (04/02)

LOL...of course 04/02 will probably be "tomorrow" by the time anyone reads this.

Guest SomeGuy

Coincidentally I will be in Nashville to lobby legislators in person.

Thanks for the reminder, while I expect Naifeh to kill it all, I may as well toss my 2 cents in.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Coincidentally I will be in Nashville to lobby legislators in person.

Thanks for the reminder, while I expect Naifeh to kill it all, I may as well toss my 2 cents in.

i wish i could be there helping you

Guest SomeGuy
i wish i could be there helping you

No, you don't. I expect every single pro-gun bill to be given a nice simple execution by the speaker. I think this trip will be an exercise in futility. That said, I always support lost causes. And this year will once again be a lost-cause for all our pro-gun bills.

Guest SomeGuy
I think that has actually been mentioned by some........and probably would have a half decent chance of working.

If they use an appropriate bribe, and that is all it would be, I would grant it far higher than half decent chances. Remember the AT&T vs Comcast dispute? As I understand it, letters to Reps were coming in 20 to 1 FOR AT&T. Yet, the bill was still killed, and no attempt made at revival. Wanna guess who Jimmy's wife was working for?

If they use an appropriate bribe, and that is all it would be, I would grant it far higher than half decent chances. Remember the AT&T vs Comcast dispute? As I understand it, letters to Reps were coming in 20 to 1 FOR AT&T. Yet, the bill was still killed, and no attempt made at revival. Wanna guess who Jimmy's wife was working for?

Yep...

...but if I understand things now, AT&T has hired her this years and it seems the Speaker's opinion has changed.....wonder what made him reconsider? :)

Guest GLOCKGUY
Stuff like that makes me forget worrying about why he's still in office... I'm more interested in why they aren't in jail.

i agree it makes me sick

Guest flyfishtn
The "Ammunition Accountability Act" is also on the calendar for Wednesday. I don't know about you all, but nothing makes me happier than a law that would make any pistol ammo I now own illegal on the first day of 2009.

EDIT: oops, "tomorrow" would be Tuesday... thanks Fallguy. All these damn days just run together for me. :)

Is this one being voted on this time? That one really irritates me because it will cost millions to manage and implement.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Is this one being voted on this time? That one really irritates me because it will cost millions to manage and implement.

It's on the calender; it remains to be seen whether anything gets done with it. It's sitting in committee in the Senate, too. What's interesting about the whole cost thing is that two weeks ago, there was some blathering about the proposed HCP fee reduction costing the state money. That bill got rolled to tomorrow's session; it should be interesting to see how they juggle bad-mouthing the fee reduction while supporting the ammo bill, considering that they'll both "cost" the state money.

Honestly, the ammo one is probably the biggest issue to me. Carrying in restaurants would be nice, but I realize the chances of it succeeding are slim. Lowering the permit fee wouldn't affect me, but it would be nice for other citizens who are pursuing self-defense. But I view the ammo bill as a direct blanket assault on all gun owners. It's nigh-unenforceable, and like any gun control measure, it only burdens the law-abiding.