Extra mag carry

Guest GunTroll

This topic is of interest to me too. Has anyone had any experience with the Comp-Tac Minotaur mag holder: Magazine Pouches - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - IWB Mag Pouch

With the preface that my favorite IWB holster is the Comp-Tac MTAC, I wasn't able to make their IWB mag carrier workable for me. First, adding another item IWB starts to get impractical. Second, based on the small size, the material, the depth that the mag is seated in the carrier, and most body types, it has a habit of at best being slow. I found that even with my body type, I had to lean toward my gun side (away from the mag carrier) to be able to use it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy on Glocktalk that goes by TacticalKydex IIRC. He makes custom holsters and magazine pouches for very reasonable prices and his turn around time is very fast. I bought 2 mag holders for my Glock for $20 shipped and they arrived in just a few days.

I think the Comp-tac are a slightly better design though. Easier to take on and off.

As a CCW, I never really thought much for carrying a spare magazine until recently. While I like to think I'm prepared as I can possibly be, and I realize the chances of having to use my handgun to protect myself or my family are rather slim, the chances of a long protracted shoot out that would require more than 6 or 8 rounds, and a reload is probably even more remote.

I then read something that made me rethink this. Essentially guns are machines, and as such, machines can break or malfunction. With that thought, if the magazine goes bad for some unknown reason, I would probably like one to replace it. With this in mind I started carrying my G26 with the stock ten round mag and a G19 mag on the weak side in a Gould & Goodrich carrier. It's not really that stealthy, but I'm usually wearing a shirt or jacket, etc to conceal the pistol, so anything that covers my belt pretty much covers the spare mag as well. Works for me, ymmv.

Since my shirt is untucked 99% of the time, I can easily conceal a Galco double mag holder. I like the option of snaps or belt loops.

For the occasion of revolver carry, I will usually drop a speed loader in my front pocket. The downside is the speed loader can become "unlocked"

I have never tried speed strips...

What are the options for revolver extra ammo carry (first hand preferred)?

I carry three speed loaders in one of the Safariland carriers Ohshoot posted about. The one for the XD mag is the perfect size

Edited by strickj
As a CCW, I never really thought much for carrying a spare magazine until recently. While I like to think I'm prepared as I can possibly be, and I realize the chances of having to use my handgun to protect myself or my family are rather slim, the chances of a long protracted shoot out that would require more than 6 or 8 rounds, and a reload is probably even more remote.

I then read something that made me rethink this. Essentially guns are machines, and as such, machines can break or malfunction. With that thought, if the magazine goes bad for some unknown reason, I would probably like one to replace it. With this in mind I started carrying my G26 with the stock ten round mag and a G19 mag on the weak side in a Gould & Goodrich carrier. It's not really that stealthy, but I'm usually wearing a shirt or jacket, etc to conceal the pistol, so anything that covers my belt pretty much covers the spare mag as well. Works for me, ymmv.

You got it exactly bro. Too many guys - especially those that don't train - completely "game" how an imaginary defensive shooting will work out in their head, and that's what they prepare themselves for. As part of this fantasy, all of their equipment works 100%. These are often the same folks who don't carry their with a loaded chamber because "I'll have plenty of time to chamber a round", pocket carry, etc. Magazines fail, magazines catches can fail, magazines can get ejected while you're in a struggle with a bad guy... there are a million things that could happen where having an extra magazine would be a good thing. We know that statistically, most defensive shootings aren't long and protracted, and that they're at a very short range with a very low round count (the rule of 3's) but isn't it really nice to have options? An extra magazine means that you've got options. Glad to hear you're there.

Guest GunTroll
..... I have never tried speed strips...

I haven't either but would like to. It seems like it may take longer to reload but considerably easier to conceal and 'forget' till needed.

Guest GunTroll
I carry three speed loaders in one of the Safariland carriers Ohshoot posted about. The one for the XD mag is the perfect size

safari123.jpg

Can you retrieve them well enough in a rush from this? Never thought of going that route for my wheel gun. MMmmmm.

safari123.jpg

Can you retrieve them well enough in a rush from this? Never thought of going that route for my wheel gun. MMmmmm.

Well, for me, I can grab them quick enough. The first one sits right at the edge and is very easy to get to. the second one takes a bit of practice but is still fairly easy. The third one... well, you had better take care of business within the first 15 rounds because it's wedged in there pretty well.

And this is with the HKS speed loaders.

Guest FiddleDog

i carry a spare mag in my pocket (8 rd if im carrying my 45, 15 rd if im carrying my 9). a habit i got when i lived in East Nashville, where gangs wander around like wolves. 8 is not enough.