Extra mag carry

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

Sorry if this has been beat to death. I don't frequent this sub forum (ever) and perhaps I should .

I have been really thinking about good ways to carry an extra mag on my person. I'm liking the idea of concealed but not sold. I'll pass on the ability to carry a light or cuffs. I carry a Glock 30 at the moment and sometimes carry my old S&W 36 but obviously that one is in no need of a mag but I'd like to hear suggestions for carrying extra ammo for it if you have any.

Thanks guys. Again sorry if this has been beat to death.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I carry mine (when I carry one) in a Blackhawk mag carrier. Not super pleased with it but it works. I really like that combo carrier, Mike. I've got a TDI but rarely carry it.

Pretty simple when I pocket carry my Kahr (StellarRigs):

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

If XD carried IWB, generally use a double pocket mag carrier with extra mag in one slot and mini light in the other.

I have used this horiz carry Safariland some, it's pretty unobtrusive worn on weak side, near the back.

safari123.jpg

- OS

Weak side rear pants pocket. The picture is actually inverted from the way it carries in my pocket. Hook points to outside hip, so when drawing mag it's in the right position to reload. I carry a 1911 so it's thinner than pictured as well. The mag stays put well when needed too.

1421c918.jpg

OS is a man after my own heart. I carry my extra magazine in the Safariland he posted above. I've got two, one I've had for 20 years and was getting a bit beat up so I got a new one last year. I love them. Low profile, easy to access and secure.

Weak side rear pants pocket. The picture is actually inverted from the way it carries in my pocket. Hook points to outside hip, so when drawing mag it's in the right position to reload. I carry a 1911 so it's thinner than pictured as well. The mag stays put well when needed too.

1421c918.jpg

Kinda like the look of that... what is it?

I concealed carry a Glock 19 every day along with at least one extra magazine and my body type is on the small, thin/average side. After trying a number of different mag carriers, I use (and wholeheartedly recommend) Kaluban Cloak single mag carriers. They fit close to the body, have positive retention, and are very low profile.

Whatever you get/try, make sure you train with it to ensure that it works for you. Some of the setups out there are nothing more than marketing crap. Carrying an extra mag is not about carrying an extra mag, it's about carrying an extra mag that you can actually use under stress. For example (no offense to the posters) look at the pics in this thread of the holsters where there's an extra mag carrier combined with the holster... see any problems? Not only does the extra mag's location prevent the shooter from getting a final firing grip on their pistol at count #1, but folks are absolutely dreaming if they think they're going to that mag out of the carrier that's on their gun side.

Edited by rgaper

Not so sure that wearers of the so called "shoot me first" vests are known much to be gun folk except maybe by other gun folk and cops...As a guy who has always carried too much "stuff", I love those vests. Ive wore one for years all over the world. Used to be really into photography and many of my fellow photo nuts wore them too. As I evolved into a gun nut, I still like my vests...I usually wear my gun and accessories on my pants belt, OWB, but my vest is a useful cover up, and it's pockets have my pipe, lighter, tobacco and other junk handy. Mine is not the usual gun vest or hunting/fishing style, but a longer length "safari" style that comes down below an untucked shirt.

As for an extra mag carrier, I use one of two that I like. One is a rough leather open top single mag carrier that I picked up for TEN BUCKS at a recent gun show, allegedly made by the Amish, believe it or not. The other is a nylon 5.11 horizontal double carrier that fits on the belt in a way to make carrying two mags pretty unobtrusive. Or can also carry one mag and a flashlight in it instead.

Edited by barewoolf
Guest BungieCord

I dress down in warm weather and CCW an ultra-compact single stack Kahr. To make up for the reduced mag capacity (5+1), I had a local shoe shop gin this up so I could carry a spare mag in my weak side back pocket:

magcarrier.jpg

It was an "underutilized" pocket I otherwise only every carry a comb and a bandanna in. The carrier is sized so it keeps the mag upright and pinned against the left edge of the pocket. And the mouth of the magazine is effectively sealed to keep out the lint and such. But it probably would be much less comfortable to sit on with a double-stack mag.

Edited by BungieCord
I dress down in warm weather and CCW an ultra-compact single stack Kahr. To make up for the reduced mag capacity (5+1), I had a local shoe shop gin this up so I could carry a spare mag in my weak side back pocket:

magcarrier.jpg

It was an "underutilized" pocket I otherwise only every carry a comb and a bandanna in. The carrier is sized so it keeps the mag upright and pinned against the left edge of the pocket. And the mouth of the magazine is effectively sealed to keep out the lint and such. But it probably would be much less comfortable to sit on with a double-stack mag.

That is brilliant! I've never seen anything like that.