Best SKS?

TLRMADE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated the things until I got a Yugo 59/66. Very accurate, built like a tank, and very dense wood stock. Also has a gas shutoff and greneade launcher in case you want to get a golf-ball attachement. ;)

Edited by Garufa

They say the Russian is the best, but they are also the most expensive ($400). The Yugos are good, and mine is very accurate. They are running about $350. The Norincos (Chinese) are the most common and run $250-300. If you are going to shoot surplus ammo (corrosive) I would not go with the Yugo. They do not have a chromed barrel, and the gas system is more involved to clean. Otherwise, any of the three will be fine. BTW, the prices are for numbers matching, everything in place, including the bayonette, and good condition. Look for cosmoline in the bolt, etc. If is a clue it may not have been shot much.

There is also a Romanian version which some say is better than the Russian. Prices are the same as the Russian.

Check out Survivor's SKS forum for a good tutorial.

Guest hawkeye10

I have a Yugo 59/66 and it shoots good. I think they all shoot good from what I hear. I know the Russians are the most sought after and usually bring a little more money. I would do some research there is a lot of SKS's for sale on line from good companies. I would look for all matching serial numbers and stay away from those that are not. This site might help answer some of the questions you have. Don

Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

This is a good site to buy 762X39 ammo. I bought 2 cases of Golden Tiger.

7.62x39 | SGAmmo.com

I would stay away from anything that modifies it to function like a modern combat rifle. Back when they were under $200 a knew a lot of people who tried to turn them into "AKs". At todays prices, it a waste of your money and a waste of a good rifle.

Guest dubaholic2

the yugos are the bottom of the barrel. then norinco, then russian/romanian. i had a romanian and hated it, but they are supposed to be some of the best. i remember a couple years ago when you could get the yugos for $79 shipped... what happened to those days? :D

the yugos are the bottom of the barrel. then norinco, then russian/romanian. i had a romanian and hated it, but they are supposed to be some of the best. i remember a couple years ago when you could get the yugos for $79 shipped... what happened to those days? :)

just out of curiosity, as I havent been in the gun industry for a very ling time (about 5 or 6 yrs) why would the yugos be at the bottom? from what ive gathered over the small research ive done on them, and by reading on this forum, i wouldve placed the norinco at the bottom, then the yugo, then the russians. I have a yugo 59/66, my father in law has a norinco. I would pick my yugo ANY day over his norinco, as someone stated the yugos are accurate (for sks standards) and have never had a single problem out of mine. When it all boils down to it though, an sks is an sks. they are all great rifles that are fun to shoot, cheap to shoot, and easy to maintain.

Love my yugo. It's fun to shoot and reasonably accurate with milsurp ammo. Plus the folding bayonet and grenade launcher stuff just make it look cool. :) The trigger ain't exactly "match target" but I hope to fix that in the near future. They're quite popular deer rifles in the mid-west. Avoid one that's been "tacti-cooled" or converted to use AK mags, which generally don't work very well. Don't sweat the non-chromed barrel. There's plenty of cheap, non-corrosive ammo.

Guest hawkeye10
the yugos are the bottom of the barrel. then norinco, then russian/romanian. i had a romanian and hated it, but they are supposed to be some of the best. i remember a couple years ago when you could get the yugos for $79 shipped... what happened to those days? ;)

I guess I will have to disagree with you. I don't think Yugo's are the bottom of the barrel. Maybe you just had a bad experience with one. If that is the case I am sorry for your bad luck. I have only had a good experience with Yugo's. Don