GP-100 Trigger Pull

Guest Druganicus

Guest Druganicus

Howdy all,

I have noticed recently that on DA using my GP-100 that if I don't let the trigger go all the way forward before pulling for the next shot, it catches and sticks. It doesn't just get stiff, I cannot pull it back unless I let the trigger go fully forward. Then it works fine. SA has no issues. I have never had it happen while at the range, only while doing some dry fire exercises. The distance between the catch and fully forward on the trigger is not much. So...

1) Is this a normal action? I wouldn't imagine so, but I only have the 1 revolver.

2) Does it sound like something that might be fixed by a good strip & clean? Or does it sound more dire?

Thanks,

Aaron Kavli

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Detail strip the thing. The beauty of the Ruger action is that you can do that yourself. Just watch some of the small springs in the trigger action, it comes out as a unit but when you start pulling it apart you could lose a spring. My experience is that early actions of this type seen in the Speed and Service Sixes may have had a little more hand fitting than later model GPs and SPs, maybe not. Anyway when I have disassembled later model Ruger DA revolvers I found that often times there were small amounts of "slag" left from the casting process. I just took a pick and fairly smooth needle file with safe edges and smoothed things out a bit, removing the occasional bit of "slag." Clean everything well and oil with tranny fluid and reassemble.

Ruger GP100 Book of Knowledge « Gunner’s Journal

Guest Druganicus

For posterity's sake, here's how this resolved.

I stripped my GP-100... the first time ever in close to 20 years. I have cleaned it, oiled, and taken the grips off once or twice, but never opened it up. It is still in great shape! I put it back together and it was still doing the same thing, the issue having to do with the arm that engages the cylinder. So I e-mailed Ruger support and they got back with me in three days. The reply was: "Response:

That is called "short stroking"...That is normal for Double Action revolvers.

The trigger must complete it`s forward cycle to reset. "

So as it turns out there was no problem, just something I never noticed about my firearm until I started doing some rapid fire drills. Knowing your gear is good. I might actually try putting in some of those after market springs now that I feel a bit more comfortable stripping it. I've done it with all my autos... just seemed harder for the GP100. Live and learn.

pax vobiscum,

Aaron Kavli