Going to the Range, what do you shoot first?

Guest msparks

Guest msparks

Was wondering how many people do this.

When I go to the range, I normally fire the magazine (or cylinder) that is in the gun that I carry with. I have never had one not go bang or a magazine hang up. Which is good news.

I don't do this every time, as I shoot more than I can afford to shoot off a mag of expensive carry ammo but I do it enough to have full confidence with my gun, ammo and magazines.

Just a thought.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use only range ammo for the range. Unless we are shooting duty ammo to replace it with new duty ammo. Your self defense or duty ammo should be fine but if it makes you feel more comfortable popping off a few rounds just to put your mind at east that the ammo is good then do it.

I usually shoot the gun that's the easiest to shoot. I use it as a warm-up.

Regarding running expensive carry ammo, I do that maybe annually. Depending on whether or not I have replacements handy. It's good to re-verify function and reinforce your confidence. Better to find a problem at the range than in the parking lot.

Guest Bassman17SC

That us very interesting. Only being a pistol owner for almost 6 months, I kind of thought the same thing. Normally, I keep the P226 loaded with a full mag of HP ammo and keep a loaded spare mag as backup. I keep my 1911 ready with one mag with HP ammo - no backup mag. At any rate, when I go to the range these days, I will fire off the loaded mags to see which ones destroy the paper targets better (precision shooting). Then I will practice my point shooting with the target ammo. Since I am still breaking in the 1911, I will also run a few mags of various HP ammo to see which ones work. So, the bottom line is I will shoot the HP ammo already loaded in the mags, then use the target ammo for the remainder of my range time.

I generally carry a Ruger LCP with Hornady Critical Defense loaded up (1 in chamber, 5 in mag). If I plan to shoot the LCP at the range on a particular day, then I shoot that round in the chamber plus the 5 in the mag first thing. This is what I need the gun to do, to sit in my holster for an extended period of time, get drawn, and go bang. So every time I do this it makes me confident that lint hasn't clogged up my gun, and the ammo hasn't been fouled by cleaning solution. No problems as of yet. (I shoot ~6 rounds of SD ammo every month or so approximately).

I also want that feeling of shooting the gun cold (like would happen in a SD situation). No warm up, just draw the gun and go bang first thing. I usually follow this up with FMJ target ammo of some type in the LCP just to continue practicing that nice long DA trigger pull.

On any other given day at the range if I'm not planning to shoot the LCP, who knows what I may shoot first :) Could be a .22 Neos all the way up to a .45 1911 and stuff in between.

I always leave 1 mag loaded with hp and place it in my pocket. This is usually the one that was in my gun to start with. When I get home, I unload those hp rounds into an empty mag and do the switcheroo. Probably more trouble than its worth, but I've always shot this way. Kinda my own rotation system.

Whatever gun I bought that week goes first.

Last week was wife's new Ruger LCR.

If I didn't buy anything new, then I shoot my Glock 17 first and then the MP 15-22. I will shoot my EDC (PF9) every other month or so.

The first rounds downrange are an opportunity to gauge yourself. What can I do on demand with a cold bore and a cold brain? I usually start and finish range time with an offhand accuracy drill; reinforce the fundamentals before going about other stuff.

This. I hang the target, hit the timer, initiate a standard defensive response (2 rounds center mass) and use that time/performance as my baseline. The bad guys don't let you get warm-up shots. I keep a training notebook and work on specific skills & drills based on how often much live fire I've done, how much dryfire work I've done that week, what I need to work on, and revisiting fundamentals.

I guess it's easy to answer this question because I'm not a recreational shooter per se, it's about working on a potentially life-saving skill.

I start from a cold response to a threat stance with my concealed carry weapon drawn from its concealed carry holster with its self defense ammunition; just as if I were at an ATM in a dark parking lot at 11 p.m.

When the serious $#!+ is done, I have FUN with the concealed carry, then the .45 nightstand gun.

Then, if time allows, one of the rifles, or two, till all the Zombies are brain-dead.

Edited by QuietDan