S&W holiday gifts

laktrash

Brought these home my Mom and Aunt (sisters) I'm the last of the family and they wanted me to have them. The first is a S&W model 19-4 with all the paperwork, brushes, an old S&W holster, Receipt from 1979 for $249 plus tax and check out the ammo.

The second I'm not sure about can't find a model # maybe a S&W military & police 1905 serial # is 6097XX if anybody has any ideas

Also brought home my 22 and 28 gauge single shot savage that my grandfather passed on to me when I very young.

sorry pics got reversed.

Short family history My mother and aunt live next door I'm an only child my aunt had an only child 17 days difference in our age and we grew up together lost him to cancee both father and uncle were hunters and fisherman also gone. So we're all thats left on my side. The only reason I bring this up is thats reason they give me these things

swmodel319.jpgshells007.jpgswmodel328.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are real cool. My dad gave me his old S&W 38 special. He had bought it from his dept. when they upgraded to semis. I not sure of the year, but he started in 1972. Mine and your guns have some value, but the real value lies in the sentimental value. Thanks for sharing.

Guest hawkeye10

Did the M&P or model 10 have a letter prefix like S-C-or D in front of the serial number? I am looking in the S&W Standard Catalog and I think it should have a letter prefix. These serial numbers can be hard to figure out. Don

Very nice weapons neighbor! My uncle left me with alot of different things including a ton of ammo thats just like that. I've never shot it. All of it is full complete boxes so I didnt want to break them up. Those guns looks like they have been well taken care of.

No letter prefix the same # is on the butt, cylinder and bottom of the barrell. The blue book says "M&P model of 1905 -4th change" serial # range from "241,704-approx.1,000,000 " There's a 5 digit # 167xx where the usual model # is when you drop the cylinder. The cover plate has 4 screws with one in the front of the trigger guard. Which means nothing to me, but thought there was a difference with the number of screws

Guest hawkeye10

According to my S&W book from 1915 to 1942 the serial numbers ran from 241704 to 700000. So just guessing I would say your gun was made around 1942. Hey that is the year I was born. The book also states the 4 screw brings a 30% premium. Don

According to my S&W book from 1915 to 1942 the serial numbers ran from 241704 to 700000. So just guessing I would say your gun was made around 1942. Hey that is the year I was born. The book also states the 4 screw brings a 30% premium. Don

Thanks alot for the info I never thought abput it being that old. Glad the 4 screw brings a premium even tho' I don't plan on selling just put them and enjoy them.

Lak:______________

I love that old military and police! I think you will be surprised at what it is worth. Take a look at Collector's firearms sometime when ya have the time. Yours is awfully clean for the vintage. What a wonderful suprize for Christmas from dear ones.

Enjoy,

leroy

Man, you inhierited two fine firearms! They've been well cared for, and represent some of the finest American craftsmanship ever. The 38 is a M&P Model 1905 Fourth Change. If you shoot either of them, you will be pleasantly surprised. I would strongly advise you to keep all the boxes, paperwork, etc. that came with the guns and the holster paperwork. Thanks for sharing.

Funny story (not really) is that I think this is the same gun I can remember finding and carrying in my toy holster when I was very young. I can barely remember doing this and don't know where everybody was. Probably dressed in t-shirt, underwear and holster I'm soon to be 60 and grew up on a farm so things were different back then, still not safe . Thats a nice piece you have also Unclejak thats not an badge from andersonville in east tenn is it ?

Thanks everybody from all the compliments. My aunt also has a mint S&W 32 in the box also shes keeping it for awhile because I told her years ago that be good gun for her. I don't want anybody to think I'm a vulture about this stuff they beg me to take stuff every trip I make and usually refuse but I worry about the guns showing up "missing" they have people that help around the house. I tell them what I think value is and know they will be safer here.

The badge is actually from Hendersonville TN. He started in 1972 and had to retire due to nerve damage in 1999. That plus his military service put him about 2 years shy of full retirement. Instead he had to get disability. So, the gun reminds me of his "better days"

wonderful old S&W's they will outlast you....

One note as to the 19-3 they are .357 Magnums but the early design of the K-Frame ( yours are both considered K frames) led to a problem of broken barrels on the Magnums if fed a steady diet and eventually S&W came out with the L-Frames (taller and no flat spot at 6 o-clock on the barrel where the cylinder meets) I have a 19-6 in my safe with a split forcing cone,..it will still shoot but spits lead out of the forcing cone so it is retired until I get a replacement barrel..

Just passing on the info the S&W forums will have more details of these fine handguns now in your possession and they are , like this forum, a good bunch of folks willing to help a new "collector"

Welcome to the club