So is anyone like me this season?

I havent even seen a damn deer yet. We're hunting a 7k acre Bowater lease on Bakewell. Every time we go the weather is off and the wind is blowing 64mph. Theres been a few people on the lease kill some but nothing that great yet. The only deer I've seen was during muzzle-loader right at pitch dark I was walking out to the 4wheeler trail next to a big pine thicket and I startled what sounded like 20 deer and a little doe came bouncing out of it right in front of me almost running over me to where if I knew she was coming I could have pistol whipped her...or punched her right in the nose.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crappy weather has kept me home. I don't have the itch bad enough to hunt in bad weather this year. GunTroll and I were talking last night about 2 years ago when we hunted the Missouri rifle season and it rained every single day. It broke me from wanting to hunt in the rain for a bit.

Guest USMC 2013

It's been the weather, in my opinion. If had gotten cold and stayed cold, or at least more winter like, then I believe the hunting season would have been better. Warmth this time of year throws them out of sync. Just my two cents though. I shot a medium sized 7 point on Fort Campbell this year, but had to hunt hard to get it. It was only the second deer I have seen all season. I let a small "basket" 6 point walk mid-October. I was hoping to fill the freezer this year, but need some place else to hunt. Fort Campbell is getting a little crowded now.

Joe

I'm certainly not seeing the numbers of deer that I have seen in past years. I pulled into where I hunt on Sunday afternoon and there were 3 does bedded down in the field across the road. I hunted that area in the rain trying to use doe bleats to get them to come over but that didn't work out. My freezer is bare, I've all but eaten the deer that I filled the freezer with last year.

There was one across the street just this morning....I live in the 'burbs!

They're wise to you fellas! They move out of the sticks when it's cold and hang out inside city limits.

Back during the summer my wife took me to look at a house she wanted us to buy. The backyard went down to river flood plain and there were deer everywhere in the backyard. There were 3 bucks bedded in front yard. I told her I didn't need to see anymore. I wanted the house. We didn't buy it. My wife hates me. :)

ROFL!!! Whiskey, the D word didn't slip out after not buying that house did it???? (I would of considered it) :) I have had the same luck on Bear hollow WMA, Deer sign everywhere but no deer. I really think the off weather has something to do with it. I know it has had my head al kinds of messed up.

I really think the off weather has something to do with it. I know it has had my head al kinds of messed up.

Agreed! I hunted a place 15 miles from my house last year and saw 18 deer opening day....Went this year and have seen 1 deer yet all summer they were wearing trails in the dirt so I know they were there. Its got to be the weather. Funny thing is the last few days have been cold and I've seen more deer out moving in places i pass going to work these few days than since hunting season opened. Hopefully we will have a stronger ending to this season!!!

I was starting to get anxious last weekend, went out in the rain Sunday morning and didn't see a damn thing. Saw one running off when it was past shooting hours Saturday night. Was too dark to take a shot even if I'd seen it before I spooked it.

Agreed! I hunted a place 15 miles from my house last year and saw 18 deer opening day....Went this year and have seen 1 deer yet all summer they were wearing trails in the dirt so I know they were there. Its got to be the weather. Funny thing is the last few days have been cold and I've seen more deer out moving in places i pass going to work these few days than since hunting season opened. Hopefully we will have a stronger ending to this season!!!

I hope you are right. I'm going again Friday. I really need to put something in the freezer.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I was hoping to bag a deer with my bow this season but no dice. Gun hunting has been fairly eventful but I've passed on several. At this point I dont know if I will like venison enough to store multiple deer in my freezer so I am pretty much trophy hunting or doing QDM.

Around here I see deer in the early morning, like the first hour of the day. Then around lunch, say 11 til 2, and then the last hour just before dark. Yesterday i had three does standing side by side about 60 yds. away and was going to see if I could get them all but the fourth one was staring right at me. So I just had to let 'em walk and besides I really didn't want to have dress them all. I've done pretty good so far this year, I got a average little eight pointer opening day of ML season about 7:15, a doe opening day of gun season with my .41 Blackhawk about 8:30, and last Saturday shot another doe 6:10. Yesterday a truely nice buck crossed the road about a 100 yds. from my driveway at 12 noon.

Last weekend I went to Hardin county to help a friend, one of his buddies knew some people hunting in Perry county, and their game cameras showed that the deer were moving there between 11 and 2. A 15year boy killed a 14 pointer Sun. morn about 9:30. And the very next day his dads girl friend killed another hugh deer ( not sure of points) crappy phone picture, the next about the same time. So the weather may be the factor.

Have been hunting the Yanahli WMA in Maury County and have yet to see a deer. I did go out of state last weekend to West Virginia and took a doe on my brother-in-laws private property so the freezer isn't completely empty but it could definitely stand to have another deer or two before the season is over.

• 4 weeks later...
So I think I have successfully ended my first ever hunting season without seeing a single deer. Eff!

I've had a couple of those over the years. Don't be discouraged. Devote some time during the off season to finding a better place to hunt, placing some trail cameras, and learning the travel pattern of the deer.

We have 7 or 8 thousand acre on Bakewell mountain.. The only problem is the way that they've been clear cutting it. The deer don't have to move at all now that a lot of the places have been cut about 3 or 4 years ago so its so freaking thick they don't have to worry about anything getting after them. Also the lease next to ours, they didn't lease it out this year so there hasn't been any people hunting on it so I'm guessing that they've been hanigng out over there where theres no pressure. I cant believe this is the first year that I havent seen a single deer. Last year and the couple yaers before that, you would jump 10 up just on the way to the stand and you had your pick on what deer you wanted to shoot. Plus this damn weather didn't help at all.

If it's an option financially, you may want to look at putting up some feeders during the off season. They can be effective at drawing deer back to your property and holding them there. It can be expensive though. Corn is nearly 10.00 per 50 pounds around here. I have a couple that I will start up after the youth hunt, but I am mostly interested in drawing and holding turkey for the for the spring season.