I am new and looking at buying a used rifle

Richard995

Hello, I just got back into shooting my guns after several years. I am looking to buy a new long rifle. I already have a Winchester 94 30-30. I found the following rifes and wanted to know what you thought.

Remington Woodmaster model 742 30-06

Remington model 721 30-06

Weatherby Vanguard .270

I found these 3 for sale. I have not gone and looked at any of them so I do not know the conditions. Let just say if they were all in about the same condition which one should I buy?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the 721 if you want a nice gun for the range that looks good and shoots good. Avoid the 742. The weatherby is, if I remember it right, a modern plastic gun and your best choice for a hunting gun to beat around with, if you think you might drag one thru the woods and weather and so on. The 721 is a 1950s gun so you need to check its condition. The remingtons may not be easy to find parts for if they do not work.

Guest hawkeye10

Richard I would look around some more there are hundreds of rifles out there to buy. If you are going to hunt deer the 270 and 30-06 are fine calibers but if you want to shoot paper at the range there is better and cheaper ammo to use. I just bought a Savage model 12 in 223. You can buy Russian 223 ammo at about $200 per thousand. You can even buy commercial ammo for as little as $6 for a box of 20. There is also a lot of other choices so ask more questions and do more research. Don

The Vanguard used to be made by Howa, just fitted with a Monte Carlo stock. Nothing wrong with that, but you can probably get a little more rifle for the money.

The 721 is a good rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if the price was right.

I haven't had any bad experiences with the 742, but they don't have the greatest reputation.

Thanks guys. I am looking for a bigger rifle than what I have now for hunting. I am retired now and plan on doing some hunting out west. Need something that will shoot over 300 yards. My 30-30 won't do that. I do like the look of wood, not the new composite stock. (call me old school). I am leaning towards the 721 if it is in good shape and the price is right. I was thinking of around $350.

Guest GunTroll

howa/vangaurd would be my pick. Best bolt gun for the buck nowadays. I'd pass on the caliber though. Many accessories available to upgrade if desired.

721 is dated and I also don't like the caliber.

742 you would have to pay me to take it in any caliber.

thats why they make so many myself i like 721s they usually shoot well and 3006 is a very good choice even if you dont reload.

the howa in 270 is also a good ghoice although i think a little light for elk but thats just me .

pick what ever you want shoot it to get used to it but by all means stay away from the 742

30-06 is fine. It will kill just about any animal you will hunt in this country and even the crudest podunk store will have a box or 2 of it for sale. Its not super expensive, though its not cheap ammo either. Its long range and accurate with a well earned reputation as a great standby caliber. If you have a reason to pick another caliber, there are 2-3 dozen that are just as good, but without a reason (such as already have reloading equipment and supplies for something else, or price is too high, or recoil a bit much, etc) its a fine choice. I would revist that post above that says there are a bajillion used rifles in the world for sale, take your time to pick one... and so long as you like the gun and the caliber will do the job and can be found to buy (or you are ok making your own), choose the gun first and the caliber second. If you have a reason to pick a certain caliber, then your choices may be very limited depending on what caliber you chose.

Guest GunTroll
So, the consensus is that the 742 is definitely a no go. Thanks. GUNTROLL... You don't like the caliber? What would you recommend?

Oh don't mind me. I'll get a dang old tried and true 30-06 built for myself one of these days. Jonnin made some very great points about its usefulness as well as availability. Its a fine caliber-cartridge combo. I suppose it did win the war after all :( .

I'm just hung up on two at this moment for hunting. 280 REM or AI and my 350 REM MAG. Next season/week, who knows????

I just got the Weatherby .270. It has a 3-9 scope on it. The gun look like if has only been fired a few times. Got it for $325.00. All of this guys guns looked like he never cleaned them. He had a 9mm and a 380 that looked only a few years old but also appeared like he had never cleaned them. The Weatherby needed just a little cleaning.

I just got the Weatherby .270. It has a 3-9 scope on it. The gun look like if has only been fired a few times. Got it for $325.00. All of this guys guns looked like he never cleaned them. He had a 9mm and a 380 that looked only a few years old but also appeared like he had never cleaned them. The Weatherby needed just a little cleaning.
Most rifles have only been shot a "few" times. Rifle ammo is expensive, the recoil on hunting guns is tiresome after a few shots, finding a long range place to go can be a hassle, and so on. Most "hunting" (whatever that means, it usually means a beat up bolt action) rifles probably have 100 or less rounds through them, a box here and there to sight them in and a shot or two at game each year. You made a great choice, it will serve you well and you don't have to stress over any dings you get in the field. And a 3-9 will take you from 20 yards to over 300 easily, also a nice perk. Good luck on your hunt!