Walmart and handguns?

swim615

I have heard some rumors that walmart is going to start selling handguns again next year. If this does happen will it drive the cost of pistols that they sell down, and used pistols as well?

I have been buying a few and am wondering if I should just wait until the dust settles to see if they are priced better.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it will change prices as some of there long guns are priced higher than any where in town. If anything you may see one or two small shops have to close up. Btw I once had a Glock 17 that my Grandfather bought at Walmart. No one ever believed me but the Serial number prefix matched the batch Glock said was a Walmart exclusive.

I like to support my local dealer whenever I can. I want him to stay in business. That said if the local guy gets too high priced he will end up putting himself out of business. My guy has been pretty reasonable and the only place I can get a better price is online. I would rather buy local and pay a "little" more. Besides he is a nice guy and he will spend time with you going over different gus and the pros and cons. You will NOT get that at a Walmart or even Bass Pro for that matter.

I hope that the rumors are true. Not because I expect to start buying handguns at Walmart on a regular basis but because I think it would be a good step towards bringing handguns back into the 'mainstream.' I remember when Walmart sold handguns, before, and would be glad to see the largest retailer in the nation once again accept handguns as items that are no more 'taboo' than tennis rackets or hammers. Further, I think such a move would be much more effective in 'desensitizing' the general public to the presence of handguns than any amount of open carry by any number of people could ever achieve. Some people will never change their opinions of handguns as 'evil', etc. but I believe there are those who would be more comfortable around them if they were exposed to them more often - and seeing handguns on display where they go to buy toilet paper and cat litter is certainly a step in that direction.

Secondly, I do hope that if Walmart once again sells handguns it might result in more people buying them and, in turn, trading them in or selling them thereby possibly resulting in more opportunities for me to buy used guns - maybe even at better deals. Maybe that is a long shot but it would be nice if things worked out that way.

I hope that the rumors are true. Not because I expect to start buying handguns at Walmart on a regular basis but because I think it would be a good step towards bringing handguns back into the 'mainstream.' I remember when Walmart sold handguns, before, and would be glad to see the largest retailer in the nation once again accept handguns as items that are no more 'taboo' than tennis rackets or hammers. Further, I think such a move would be much more effective in 'desensitizing' the general public to the presence of handguns than any amount of open carry by any number of people could ever achieve. Some people will never change their opinions of handguns as 'evil', etc. but I believe there are those who would be more comfortable around them if they were exposed to them more often - and seeing handguns on display where they go to buy toilet paper and cat litter is certainly a step in that direction.

Secondly, I do hope that if Walmart once again sells handguns it might result in more people buying them and, in turn, trading them in or selling them thereby possibly resulting in more opportunities for me to buy used guns - maybe even at better deals. Maybe that is a long shot but it would be nice if things worked out that way.

Wow :usa::usa::usa:A great answer:usa::usa::usa:

Guest dubaholic2

i go anywhere except walmart to do my shopping because i cant stand the place. but, i would be glad to see them start carrying hand guns again just for the simple fact that i am all for anything that gets more guns into the hands of law abiding citizens.

Guest TnRebel

I asked my local Wally World Manager and he said that it has been tossed around a Hq. and not to be surprised if after the 1st of the year to see some in a few test stores in Jan. to see how it goes . with the increase of permits across the country that that is a hopeful market for them again .

I hope not......minimum wage gun dealers just does not have a great ring to it and walmart being such a large

scale I forsee nothing good from it

They used to sell handguns in many states, always have in AK. What's the big concern?

You think there are no minimum wage folks working in other gun stores around the nation?

- OS

I hope not......minimum wage gun dealers just does not have a great ring to it and walmart being such a large

scale I forsee nothing good from it

I don't see how it would be a problem?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

They used to sell handguns in many states, always have in AK. What's the big concern?

You think there are no minimum wage folks working in other gun stores around the nation?

- OS

Wal-Mart to a degree pays more than minimum wage last time I checked, paying competitive rates for the going unskilled labor. Same and any box store. Same as any business owner. You don't make money over paying your employees.

Any store selling guns will have to abide by the same rules. Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Academy, Bass Pro... I bet they all pay near the same as well. While many of us will talk romantically about supporting the little guy, I doubt any of us are going to go pay double for the same product just because of better service.

I am excited to see Wal-Mart selling handguns again. I may buy from them, if they have a good price on something I want.

Wal-Mart may be the root of all evil, but they are the largest chain market in the United States, as such, they set trends to a degree, and they are watched closely. People will take notice. Responsible law abiding citizens that aren't aware you can own a military style gun will see that not only can you, but you can buy one at Wal-Mart. Thus broadening the horizon and bringing more gun owners to the fold.

I too was talking to the sporting goods manager a few weeks ago in Mount Juliet. They are just now getting long guns in to sell, seems their market research said people in Mt Juliet like guns. Also said they expect to be selling handguns after the new year. Just as all stores do not sell guns not all will sell handguns, it all depends on the local demographics.