Buying a gun Need opinions

TeamJackson

So I am trading in my Beretta 92FS for a new smaller gun (would love to keep it and buy another but 2 kids under 3 yrs old...CASH FLOW)! Any-who- I need some advice:

All guns will be 9mm and either Subcompact or Compact:

Beretta PX4 Storm

Sprinfield XD(or XDM)

S&W M&P

Glock 19

I'm sure all good guns, but what are your thoughts? I'm getting my Carry License and want something that looks good, feels good, shoots everytime!

1st time poster so thanks in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Out of those, I would choose either the M&P or G19. The XDs are great guns, but they are a little too bulky for my tastes. I LOVE the M&P platform, especially once you replace the internals with new ones from Apex Tactical (easily done at home). The trigger goes from ok to great. My only gripe against S&W is that they don't make a competing M&P in the same size as the Glock 19/23. IMO the Glock 19/23 (same frame) is the perfect size for carry. Not too big, not too small. The service size M&P is a bit longer and taller than the Glock, though it can still be carried quite comfortably. I carried an M&P9 for quite some time. Most importantly, try these guns out before buying. Especially the Glock. It has an odd grip angle that many find uncomfortable.

All of those are personal preference. If you could shoot them all first it would help you decide, but I'm sure you can't.

For me, and I have shot all but the Beretta PX4, my preference would be.

1. Glock 19(don't rule out a 26) followed closely by the 2. XD9SC then followed closely by the 3. M&P9c then the 4.PX4 SC only because i have never shot one. The PX4's feel fine in the hand but so did a pistol I bought one time and hated after shooting it.

I'm really a fan of Glocks in 9/40/357 and not so much 45. I love XD's and M&P's in 45 but not 9/40/357. I think you may be better served by a Sub-compact than a compact as you aren't getting much smaller than your 92fs. Saving more weight than anything.

Get the G19 or even a G26. The choice of accessories/holsters is wide, re-sale market is very good, and you can even wash it in your dishwasher to boot. ;)

You can also use the next-size-up in magazine capacity, which is something I have always appreciated about the platform. If you buy it and don't like it, you can get your money back as long as you didn't overpay to begin with.

The recommendation to see how each of the pistol's you've mentioned fit your hand is a good one. Of the pistol's you've expressed an interest in I have more confidence in the G-19 than any of the other's. I have some interest in the S&W M&P but the Glock M-19 is a more proven product that I have more experence with.

Whatever it is worth coming from a recently certified Glock and certified S&W M&P armorer as well as plastic handgun nut in general: go G19: simpler to work on, proven time and again, big aftermarket if you like that sort of thing. Downside of the G19 can be the grip for some people, the S&W M&P excels in it's grip design. Both are solid guns and one should have no fear in picking either up to SY...

Guest Grubbah

As some have said already, dont rule out the G26. I just recently purchased one and have been pleased with it. I only have about 200 rounds through it (mostly winchester white box but also one clip of critical defense) - not a single hiccup and its going to be a great carry gun I think. If you do go with a G19, and if you get the gen4, make sure it has the updated ejector already installed. The earlier gen4 G19s had a problem with erratic ejection. sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes in your face. Some blamed the spring assembly, but it turned out to be the ejector from what I have read. Glock re-designed the ejector and apparently it works perfectly now. If you do decide on the 19, have your gun dealer contact Glock before you take it home and verify it has the updated ejector. If not, have him send it back to have it updated before you pick it up.

glock 19 is the single most sold gun in exsisantce - the exact reason ill never buy one...too many on that train...

Looking for a great 9MM SR9 is my choice but for a little more

you want to be amazed look into a CZ

but If I had only to pick from those 4 id opt for the XDm

Edited by SonnyCrockett
So I am trading in my Beretta 92FS for a new smaller gun (would love to keep it and buy another but 2 kids under 3 yrs old...CASH FLOW)! Any-who- I need some advice:All guns will be 9mm and either Subcompact or Compact:Beretta PX4 Storm Sprinfield XD(or XDM)S&W M&PGlock 19I'm sure all good guns, but what are your thoughts? I'm getting my Carry License and want something that looks good, feels good, shoots everytime! 1st time poster so thanks in advance.
The px4 is fat and heavy. Its still very small in subcompact, able to slip into a large pocket or various holster carry, but the width is extreme. I would hold out for the nano if width is an issue. Its a great gun, zero problems out of mine over the past year, I have the .40 sub. Glock 19 is almost 7 inches long and is under no stretch a small gun, though its smaller than the 92, its not by enough to call it a carry gun. Try a smaller glock? The XD has so many different models with the same name that I cannot safely comment on them. The M&P is the same, lots of guns under that umbrella name. There are a number of much smaller 9mms than most of these, if size is an issue you may want to keep looking. If you like these and just want to downsize the 92, they are great picks.
Here is how I would rank them for my personal taste.

Glock 19

M&P

XD

PX4

They are all good. The Glock and SW just fit my hand better and I have shot them a lot more.

That is how I rank them . The Glock 19 is simply the best and just under it is the M&P . I would say the same with the M&P but it hasnt been out quite as long as the M&P . BOTH are a FINE choice !

In doing my research I have found over and over that XD(M) & M&P out perform the Glock and Beretta! The thing that attracts me to the M&P is that it is made in America. I'm a sucker for that! Any thoughts on performance and ease of breaking down and cleaning?

The M&P is just as easy to break down as a Glock is . What I dont like (which really doesnt matter to some) is that when "detail stripping" it , you have to push out ROLL-PINS in stead of Glocks regular pins . I just dont like roll-pins because you have to be carefull not to flatten the ends of them out . But I have the M&P and GLock both right now and I am keeping them both for life ! I like them that much.

If you like the M&P then get it . It will be great . I would suggest to make sure you get the one without the internal key lock (ILS) and get it without the magazine safety. That way you can shoot it with or without a magazine in it just like a Glock.

Edited by tercel89
  • Moderators
In doing my research I have found over and over that XD(M) & M&P out perform the Glock and Beretta! The thing that attracts me to the M&P is that it is made in America. I'm a sucker for that! Any thoughts on performance and ease of breaking down and cleaning?

Breakdown/ cleaning is just as easy as any of the other polymer pistols in its class. On the question of performance, I would say that my M&P9c w/ Apex DCAEK easily outperforms me. If you decide to go this route, you will not be disappointed.

Guest bkelm18

The M&P really is an outstanding platform. Breakdown is almost as easy as a Glock. Yes, out of all your choices, the M&P is the only one made in America by an American company. In my own opinion, an M&P with an Apex DCAEK kit installed is easily one of the best polymer guns around. I've never tried a Glock that had a trigger even remotely close to it, even with those fancy connectors installed.

I see you live in S. KNoxville. . .go to Coal Creek Armory (out west). . .you can shoot many Glocks and Springfields. . .they have them to rent. I think they also have 1 M&P and Storm. Not sure of all the compact or Sub-C sizes you are looking for, but at least you can get a feel for most of them. . .then make your decision

personally, I am an XD guy.

Outperforms in what sense? All these break down the same way, in a roughly 1911ish fashion, right (pull or push something and pop the slide off, done). All were made or assembled in the USA to some extent as well, right? I see no way to rank these guns apart from personal prefs, they are all pretty much flawless shooters so it comes down to action type, size/weight/capacity/look/feel/etc stuff.
Guest bkelm18
Outperforms in what sense? All these break down the same way, in a roughly 1911ish fashion, right (pull or push something and pop the slide off, done). All were made or assembled in the USA to some extent as well, right? I see no way to rank these guns apart from personal prefs, they are all pretty much flawless shooters so it comes down to action type, size/weight/capacity/look/feel/etc stuff.

The M&P is the only truly US made gun on his list.

Guest bkelm18
The px4 subcompact is made at the USA facility, where the army guns were made, unless the web is wrong (the web, wrong?! hahaha). I do not know for sure. The larger ones with a rotating barrel are made elsewhere.

Beretta is an Italian company, so in the end, the money still goes elsewhere. :usa: