Just installed an ambi safety in a 1911......

A GSG 22 1911 to be exact. I somehow managed to break the factory safety......and the replacement the factory sent me as well.:) Anyway, ashamed to call customer service again, I ordered a Colt safety from Midway. I'd work on it a while, get frustrated, put it up, rinse, and repeat. Tonight, I finally got the safety correctly fitted, and reasssembled everything. The grip safety was wanting to hang on something. Rats!!!! Frustrated again, I decided to put it up, and when I put the magazine in the gun, everything magically began to work correctly. I do not pretend to understand what happened, but I now have the confidence to tackle installing an ambi safety in my RIA 1911A1 Commander......Baby steps.:D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grip safety was wanting to hang on something. Rats!!!! Frustrated again, I decided to put it up, and when I put the magazine in the gun, everything magically began to work correctly. I do not pretend to understand what happened, ...

That gun has a magazine safety. ;)

Guest vthokies03
That gun has a magazine safety. :)

Not if i had to replace the ambi. As soon as i find a reason to get into my gun, the mag safety will be the first thing to go.

Not if i had to replace the ambi. As soon as i find a reason to get into my gun, the mag safety will be the first thing to go.

Wouldn't take over a minute to do.

I haven't made any changes to my carry pistols, but removing the ambi safety may the first.

Why? If I weren't left handed, I wouldn't care if mine had one or not, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be in removing one already there.

Some folks don't like ambi safeties due to the thought of it getting "wiped off " while in the holster etc.

others are purists "If JMB meant us to have it he woulda put one on it back in 1911..."

I have broken one on my IPSC race-gun.. along with over the years about a dozen other parts,slide stop,bushing,rear sight etc.

It comes down to training, and what you are comfortable carrying,..some folks just aren't comfortable with,in their eyes "another thing to go wrong"

BTW, congrats on educating yourself to gain the confidence to work on one of the great gun designs..

John

• 1 month later...
Guest klwehunt

Their kind of handy when you have to use your left hand.I have 5 1911's w/ambi safety's but they all take an good effort to push the safty off.So i feel safe with them in a carry mode.