SKS: Russian or Chinese

Guest Burgan

So I've been in the market for a cheap rifle to shoot and I've all ways been a fan of Soviet based weapon like the AK, SKS and Makarov. But I'm thinking of picking up a SKS to have.

I have found a guy that has a Norinco SKS for sale locally for about $250. And also found a 1951 Tula Arsenal Russian unissued SKS for $425. I've heard early Russian is the way to go, but I'm not a collector, so the Russian one would be shot and used.

Is the almost $200 difference worth it in the long run?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured the Russian would hold more value over the years, especially since more Americans are starting to shy away from anything Chinese made. I don't plan on getting rid of it once I get it. I have read about chrome lined vs non-chrome lined and it seems more like a preference than a big difference... besides the time it takes to clean. But cleaning time doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for the link, hawkeye10, I'll have to keep that in mind once I pick up a SKS.

It's funny how cheap the 7.62x39 is... it literally cost as much as what I'm spending on 9mm ammo. I had someone once tell me unless you want to reload a special grain or something that isn't commercial, there is no need to reload the 7.62x39. Since in Russia the ammo is so plentiful that when you order a Big Mac meal the give you a box of ammo with it... haha. Not literally though guys.

I'm going with a Russian... and since I'm doing that, I've been looking for 7.62x39 ammo. I found a good deal on some Yugo 7.62x39 ammo, which totalled out to about $0.17 a round in bulk and it comes in a big wooden case

I'm going with a Russian... and since I'm doing that, I've been looking for 7.62x39 ammo. I found a good deal on some Yugo 7.62x39 ammo, which totalled out to about $0.17 a round in bulk and it comes in a big wooden case

That is a good price, did you figure shipping in to that?

Anytime I can find 7.62x39mm or 9x19mm for less than $.20 a round I consider it a deal. $.30 or less a round on 5.56x45mm. I always factor shipping though.

FYI, that ammo is corrosive so if you do buy it make sure you clean the gun thoroughly and appropriately after using. That means the gas tube as well.

Yeah the $0.17 a round doesnt include shipping, after shipping cost it knocks it up to about $0.19 a round. I realize Yugo ammo is corrosive.

I use gun-deals.com/ammo to find the best deals per caliber. It'll show you what the deal is per round before shipping and what it is after to your zipcode.

Edited by Burgan
  • 2 weeks later...

I have decided if I want to buy the wooden case corrosive Yugo or the span can non-corrosive Russian ammo. I wish Russian surplus was in brass...the Yugo stuff is in brass.

Russian is $125.95 for 640

or...........$249.90 for 1280 (discounted for bulk)

Yugo is $2.64 a box of 15

or...........$214.20 for 1260 (discounted for bulk)

Ok I may have just researched myself out of buying the Yugo ammo...

...Even though it is cheaper than the non-corrosive Ruskie ammo. It all has Berdian primers which makes the brass cases very, very hard to reload.

Looks like SGAmmo will be getting some business from me.

The ammo is cheap enough that I don't worry about reloading it. I like the brass cases better, even though the steel is probably fine. I am stocking up on Yugo as there isn't much left. It also is very accurate.

As for Russian vs. Chinese, that is a matter of preference. The Russians have a reputation for accuracy. The Chinese are cheaper. I do think the russian is more accurate, but the Chinese is no slouch. The Russian will continue to be worth more.

I've got a 1951 Tula Arsenal Russian SKS now. I'll get pictures up one of these days...

I just order a case of new production non-corrosive russian 7.62x39 123grn FMJ @ $189.50 for 1000. Also, order Brass 9mm 124grn FMJ @ $190 for 1000.

Waiting for a couple of things to clear up financial before I order a few cases on the Yugo for storage.