First shotgun purchase and not sure if this is normal?

Guest d@ntheman

Guest d@ntheman

Just got a new shotgun on black Friday for my dad. He does not own any guns and he has also never owned any. I want to get him one because we, the children, are all in our mid to late twenties and i think he needs something for home defence. Since he will realisticlly not be shooting clays or hunting with it just got a no frills cheap 12 gauge from sports authority on sale for 179 from 200. It is a Harington and Richardson. Well i guess the question is the instructions say it will accept 2.75" and 3" rounds and load 4 in it. I have some cheap boxes of winchester 2.75" for him to practice with and a box of 3" remington magnum 00buck for defense purposes, and the gun will only get to the point where it takes 2 in the tube and one in the chamber holding just 3 total... My friend told me something about for hunts it is illegal for a shotgun to hold more than 3??? So he suggested i take it apart to see if there is a spacer i can remove. I took the gun apart looking for such a thing and havent seen anything. The instructions clearly say will load 4 rounds of 2.75 or 3' so whats going on here? losing 1 round is 25% of its capacity! lol

Here is a link to it on cheaper than dirt. Says it holds 5 rounds.... whats up bc i really would like to know.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/16597-55.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a number of shotguns come with plugs in the magazine tubes to limit loading to three shells...

Is that a H&R Pardner ? Unscrew the cap off the end of the magazine tube, pull the retainer clip out, and see if a plug is nested with the spring. If so, remove it.

B.

Guest d@ntheman

ok well i guess the issue is resolved... i thought that black plastic piece inside the spring was important i removed it and put it back together and now it holds five in the tube and 1 in the chamber... thanks guys lol